Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Tire slime + leaking air bag = $$$ saved

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire slime + leaking air bag = $$$ saved

After a couple of hours this moring I have a shiny wheel well and a FL air bag that is no longer leaking!

I have been putting this off for months but finally got around to it. 20cc or so out of a $6 bottle of tire slime is all it took. I so far am very pleased with the results as before the slime the car would sink immediately after turning key off. Will post on long term results. I think Trango has had success with this trick as well.

Anybody looking to save $1000 or so might want to consider this.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

can you still change the levels?
Old 01-26-2008, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Detail of process?

Don't have a problem now but we all know that's only a matter of time. Just how does the slime get into where it can seal, as it looks like an inside application?
Old 01-26-2008, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes! My results are three weeks old now, and are still going strong...

...I found that I was able to get more slime into the fold by uninstalling the entire shock assembly, laying it on the ground, pouring the slime onto the bag while horizontal, and then slowly lifting it to diagonal-then-vertical while spinning the bag. The goal is that the maximum amount of slime remained in the bag, in the fold-over area.

BTW, I changed out my front axle shafts last week, and there was a little "eruption" of slime right at the leak point, but that was it! So, the stuff seems to work as intended (by plugging the leak through seepage/blockage using larger bits suspended in the goo).

I have another related idea in the works, BTW... will advise when I have time to test/develop.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Funny this just came up, I was giving the tire sealer idea a thought

what could it hurt...Nothing as far as I can see.

thanks for being braver then me.

Mark.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BTW I tried to create a delivery system that maximised the delivery without uninstalling....

...I was thinking that I could, without totally uninstalling the shock, just remove the bottom of the bag and try to snake something up from the bottom to inject/drop slime into the fold area. To accomplish this, I bent up a piece of thin copper tubing to serve as a "cannula" of sorts, shaped like a shepherd's crook, to accurately deliver slime to the fold area.

Well, in theory it was great. However, in practice, despite being quite thin (and I even hammer-shaped it to have a thinner cross section), I couldn't snake this copper tube easily enough through the shock/metal collar interface and still maintain the target of the fold area.

So, uninstalling the shock and squirting the slime into the air-port (and then blowing a little compressed air into it to "burp" the slime out of the vicinity of the air-port) worked for the maximum delivery.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Detail of process?

With the strut removed, I used a plastic syringe with a small piece of vinyl tubing that would fit inside the airline hole, and squirted in the slime. I did it with the bag vertical. I then tilted the strut so the slime would get on the sides of the bag and kept spinning it, gradually tilting the bag to horizontal.

When this came up before, some folks expressed concern about the slime getting into the air distribution system. With the slime sitting at the bottom of the bag, I don't see how that would be possible.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So -- with the slime in the bags can you still move to different levels, or not?
Old 01-27-2008, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Trango, I think you will be called upon once those of us in Denver start getting leaks.

I think one of mine is starting. Every few days I notice the driver rear sitting at L1 while the rest of the car is at L2.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Absolutely!

Quick Reply: Tire slime + leaking air bag = $$$ saved