Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Tire slime + leaking air bag = $$$ saved

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:

This is simply a means of buying time. The only permanent leak fix is to purchase a new bag. Now that Arnott bags are available at under half of the cost of OEM, I cannot endorse this method any longer. This should only be used as a temporary bandaid.

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but it sucks to be stranded when all the slime leaks out and that leak, which was once the size of a pinhole, has slowly grown over a year. Maybe the slime has pushed and worn it open, or maybe it's masked the presence of many small leaks, or perhaps a combination of all of the above - and now won't hold enough air to get your car off the bumpstops.

But hey, for a week or a month or so, slime works great.

Hugs,
Bob
Old 07-24-2009, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I myself had a bag go down. it ticked me off because i was the one that recommended this car to my wife...oops.. So i brought it to my Audi dealer and Had a good used one put in from another Audi with the same problem and that customer wanted 2 new ones put on...so I claimed the good used one....In the future I will install the Arnott ones. At $299. for the front each and I believe $265 +- for the rear (each). Its alot better than $800. +- for the OEM.... If i have to go through the work of the slime, I rather spend a little bit more time and $$ with the new bags...Then I don't have to hear my wife crabbing at me..... Stevo
Old 12-08-2009, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default photos anyone???

Does anyone have any photos and tips that they can share...Im trying to extend the life of this car..so many issues!- However the air suspension is failing, so- before I lose the pump as well I would like to try tire slime as a band-aide til I see if all the other issues are fixable in my price range.
Thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ryry
With the strut removed, I used a plastic syringe with a small piece of vinyl tubing that would fit inside the airline hole, and squirted in the slime. I did it with the bag vertical. I then tilted the strut so the slime would get on the sides of the bag and kept spinning it, gradually tilting the bag to horizontal.

When this came up before, some folks expressed concern about the slime getting into the air distribution system. With the slime sitting at the bottom of the bag, I don't see how that would be possible.

oh, thanks for sharing your experience

CSI DVD set
CSI DVD
Old 10-28-2014, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ryry
After a couple of hours this moring I have a shiny wheel well and a FL air bag that is no longer leaking!

I have been putting this off for months but finally got around to it. 20cc or so out of a $6 bottle of tire slime is all it took. I so far am very pleased with the results as before the slime the car would sink immediately after turning key off. Will post on long term results. I think Trango has had success with this trick as well.

Anybody looking to save $1000 or so might want to consider this.
Me Please ! I'd like to save a $1000 !

but I would need an illustration for my A8l 2004