Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Understanding service records- Timing belt replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Understanding service records- Timing belt replaced?

I bought my 2004 Allroad 2.7t and recently received the service records from the dealer. It currently has 106k on it and I am wondering if I need to replace the timing belt.

The records show the owner brought the car in constantly for little things and was rather meticulous, so I'm sure this was something he would have been on top of, but I never spoke directly to previous owner. The records show the following note at 75k to replace water pump, thermostat, tensioner rollers and I am assuming timing belt would have been done here as well. The dealership has no more records so can't give any more information.

I guess my question is: Is anyone familiar with service billing and does it look like the "Engine Minor" listed below would have been this job? A shot in the dark but worth it

Old 12-05-2014, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Unless you can definitely confirm with the dealer or previous owner that the timing belt has been replaced I wouldn't assume anything. Since this is an interference engine if the belt is old and breaks or slips you can pretty much say good bye to your engine. Based on my experience with dealers they are usually meticulous with listing both service performed and the new parts installed. If the answer is that neither the timing belt service nor part is listed on the invoice I would consult a certified Audi mechanic either at the dealer or an independent shop that you trust. The bottom line is: this service will cost much less than replacing an engine!!
Old 12-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Irish1004
Unless you can definitely confirm with the dealer or previous owner that the timing belt has been replaced I wouldn't assume anything. Since this is an interference engine if the belt is old and breaks or slips you can pretty much say good bye to your engine. Based on my experience with dealers they are usually meticulous with listing both service performed and the new parts installed. If the answer is that neither the timing belt service nor part is listed on the invoice I would consult a certified Audi mechanic either at the dealer or an independent shop that you trust. The bottom line is: this service will cost much less than replacing an engine!!
Thanks for reply. When you mention consulting a shop, are they able to tell by looking if the belt was replaced, or do you mean just their opinion on if I should replace it?
Old 12-05-2014, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Based on the condition of the belt hey should be able to tell whether it has been changed prior to the 106K that you have on the car. The service interval was at one time 105K for the timing belt but Audi revised that to be at 75K intervals. Years ago I had a 1985 Jetta Diesel that had a failure of the bolt that holds the crankshaft pulley due to metal fatigue and the belt and pulley feel off at speed.Because it was an interference engine the valves and pistons collided and it was game over for that engine. While it's impossible to prevent/anticipate an occurrence like that; a failure of the timing belt due to age is totally preventable.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your mechanic can pull the covers off and give you an 'opinion' of the current condition of the belt. They don't have a date on them, so unless you can see evidence (I actually purchased an A4 and the mechanic had put a sticker on the inside of the timing belt cover with the milage when the belt was changed) it really comes down to your risk.
Based on the charge cost on your documentation, the belt was not changed.