Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

VAG-COM

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAG-COM

Hi all again,
I need to purchase one of those VAG-COM things. Can someone quickly tell me which one is best/correct for 2001 Allroad ? I got the service light on and AUDI shop told me it "might" be because of solenoids. Not really up for this service so I thought I would just get this light off with this VAG-COM thing I keep hearing about. Any ideas ? anyone have one for sale ? How much do they go for ?
Old 09-20-2014, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EuropaParts.com: VAG-COM Diagnostic Tool with HEX-USB+CAN Interface

Europa ships for free. Ross Tech overcharges for shipping.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

(1) and (2) Well, this came from Audi dealer shop when I took my AR for 180K service. I don't often take it to AUDI, but this time I did. The invoice states the following: "Diagnosis of check engine light on, secondary air faults. check and found pump working, solenoid working and no vacuum leaks. Recommend removing solenoids and check operation and also to check if cylinder heads are clogged" No code was offered or written on the invoice, only above about this "solenoid" matter. They said they cant do anything about it then and there because engine would have to cool down long time and I would have to leave it there for the day.
Regarding odometer thing, my central display is all messed up, can't read a thing with it, I will be sending the instrument cluster to be fixed by this guy in FL, been meaning to do that for a while now, he is through eBay and with lot of history so I'm sure ok operation.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

$349 !!! I see lot of these cables on eBay for MUCH cheaper !!!! Why is this one so much more expensive ? The other cheaper ones just don't work ? I just want to be able to clear the check engine light so I can get past annual inspection end of December. I am not a mechanic, I have no interest to pay another $1000 to get some solenoid crap fixed because car runs just fine. I get 21.5 MPG, no rough idle ever, I just bought new right side entire exhaust system with catalytic converters, didn't take the light off, I know there was a problem with the front right cat, so, now it's some "Solenoid" problem. Kind of getting tired of dealing with this light, I figure I rather just get one of these cables and make the light disappear, at least for a moment so I can get past inspection .....
Old 09-21-2014, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by KekePerkele
$349 !!! I see lot of these cables on eBay for MUCH cheaper !!!! Why is this one so much more expensive ? The other cheaper ones just don't work ? I just want to be able to clear the check engine light so I can get past annual inspection end of December. I am not a mechanic, I have no interest to pay another $1000 to get some solenoid crap fixed because car runs just fine. I get 21.5 MPG, no rough idle ever, I just bought new right side entire exhaust system with catalytic converters, didn't take the light off, I know there was a problem with the front right cat, so, now it's some "Solenoid" problem. Kind of getting tired of dealing with this light, I figure I rather just get one of these cables and make the light disappear, at least for a moment so I can get past inspection .....
If you're not interested in doing the upkeep on the car, follow Sam's suggestions for getting to the codes.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
If you're not interested in doing the upkeep on the car, follow Sam's suggestions for getting to the codes.
Well, I've been upkeeping my AR since 2006 already, with lot of $'s .... its not about that, but at 180K miles, I am trying to avoid spending another $1000, I am simply trying to find more affordable options to "upkeep" my AR. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me if there are more affordable VAG-COM's than this Renn_tech one going for $349 ? I wouldn't mind owning one instead of going to local car store and bugging them about this engine light on monthly basis, can get kind of embarrassing after few times you know, because I am sure the light will find another reason to come on.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The Ross_Tech VAG Tool is the only one worth having along with its software, VCDS, IMHO.
Never fails. Always provides correct codes which you can check on their database.
Good Luck whatever you decide, but paying someone to turn off the CEL every couple of weeks can eventually get expensive. Someone here was getting charged $150 a pop for a read via the Ross_Tech VAG Tool.
If you need to reset the CEL every couple of weeks, maybe you should find out what's causing it and get it fixed. Just a thought.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike B
The Ross_Tech VAG Tool is the only one worth having along with its software, VCDS, IMHO.
Never fails. Always provides correct codes which you can check on their database.
Good Luck whatever you decide, but paying someone to turn off the CEL every couple of weeks can eventually get expensive. Someone here was getting charged $150 a pop for a read via the Ross_Tech VAG Tool.
If you need to reset the CEL every couple of weeks, maybe you should find out what's causing it and get it fixed. Just a thought.
Yes, and I 100% agree. Whole idea behind getting this tool is to get behind the real trouble. I keep getting different story everytime - yes, after spending $150 to get a read - and kind of getting tired of it. while I'm not a mechanic at least I can start figuring out the real cause and (get the light off for annual inspection)
Old 09-21-2014, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

KekePerkele - to attempt to answer your first question, I have been using the Autel Vag505.

We don't have Ross Tech agents in Australia, the Autel VAG505 is a handheld device. With 2 Audi's and 2 VW's in the house, this has diagnosed errors. I discovered recently the seller agent knows nothing about the device and posts on their website are answered from Asia, with very little assistance. Oe of the VW's won't start and the Autel has not diagnosed the error so I have purchased the Ross tech tool from Europaparts (+ $46 delivery to Sydney) with the plummeting Aust dollar works out around $450 so hopefully it will provide more information and justify itself over the Autel device. I will let you know.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you just want to see the code & clear it, just get a cheap OBD reader and an app for your phone like "Torque". Just google Torque OBD2.

Quick Reply: VAG-COM