Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

washer pump hose replacement - help

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default washer pump hose replacement - help

I had a washer fluid leak in front of my driver front tire. Realized that in addition to the leaky grommet below the pump (replacing the pump too as its not so expensive), one of the hose has also ripped. I think it got ripped while I was fiddling with my hands inside the tight spots.
Now, I was able to remove the driver side headlight (as opposed to removing the bumper) to replace the pump/grommet. I see there are 2 hoses from the pump (as shown in picture); one is corrugated and the second is smooth. The corrugated is fine, but the smooth one got ripped. Can anyone tell me
1. What is the corrugated hose for and what is the smooth one for?
2. I was under the impression that the pump on the front (there is another larger pump towards the back/side which is fine) is for headlight. But seeing the 2 hoses has left me scratching my head.
3. I only want a quick temporary fix for this situation to get the inspection passed. Next summer, I can replace the whole hose line when the front comes out for timing belt work. Can someone tell me how I could connect the rip? Are there any connectors available in Autozone that would work? Any help is appreciated.
Thank you,
Attached Images    
Old 08-23-2014, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

One hose goes to the windshield and the other to the rear hatch window...the pump actually reverses direction to direct spray to the window called for. The headlight pump is separate and mounted on the other side of the reservoir.

I had the same problem recently....I replaced the last bit of broken hose with a piece of silicone vacuum hose that would slip over the broken end of the hose and onto the pump...problem solved.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silverd2
I replaced the last bit of broken hose with a piece of silicone vacuum hose that would slip over the broken end of the hose and onto the pump...problem solved.
Thanks silverd, I just did the same, except I used a rubber hose and zip-tied it. It works for now (attached pic). However, I'm found an even bigger problem. When I use the rear wiper, I see leaks on two or three places under the car, mostly (driver side) behind the front driver side wheel (pics attached).

I'm tempted to look for a fix as described in this link - http://www.audidatabase.net/Files/C5...ose_Repair.pdf. But, looks like this is for leaks that are near the hatch. But, my leaks are only on the driver-side bottom and not on the headliner or the right side of the car. Is it possible the break happened near the hatch but the water/fluid is draining towards the front? I'm confused and not sure where to start looking. Leak 1 is where it pours more profusely, followed by leak 2 and then leak 3. Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images