Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Weird sag symptoms on left rear

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird sag symptoms on left rear

Lately my low mileage but quite old 2002 allroad started sagging in the left rear overnight. Checked for codes with VAG-COM and didn't find anything. Pulled off the wheel in jack mode and tried to look for leaks with soapy water. Also nothing.

Here's the crazy thing- I thought that the allroad only self levels with stored pressure in the accumulator when the ignition is off, but when I open the hatch, the car quickly returns to the proper level.

Is this obviously a bad air spring? If so, I'm happy to spring for G2's, but wanted to make sure before I start pulling my suspension apart.

Thanks!

-n.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At what level do you leave it over night where it sinks? At what level was it at when you checked for leaks?

If you leave it at level 1 and it drops but check for leaks at level the extended bag may have sealed up the leak.

It sounds like a leaky bag but you want to check for leaks at the same level that it drops. When you have the wheel off jack up that corner until it's roughly at the level it drops at and check for leaks.

Also, if there is still pressure in your air tank when you pop the hatch it will raise up slightly to give a better level to load or unload the hatch. Mine does this all the time.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It has leaked for me at 2, 3, 4. Checked it at 3 in jack mode. Haven't tried 1. I thought that the accumulator would continue to level the car while it was off until it ran empty. Guess that's not true. Thanks for the advice!

-n.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try the soapy water all over (not just on the bag) and include the air line in the wheelwell. I had two leaky fronts that did not make bubbles, but showed a real slow oozing with some really soapy water sprayed on.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If I do find a leak, can it be patched? If I just have to replace the bag anyway, maybe I should just do that. Any thoughts on the Arnott sport shocks for G2 springs? My OEM shocks are fine but I wouldn't mind upgrading the damping while I'm in there.

-n.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

I doubt any kind of patch will work. The bladder flexes a lot and will most likely fail.

I've heard mixed reviews on the upgraded dampers. I guess they just released a newly valved one that better matches their G2 springs so it may be better than the old Bilsteins.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK. I ordered a replacement OEM spring. I figured with my dampers and other springs being so unused, it would be a waste to throw out the right spring if I went with the Arnott G2. Will update with results once in. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2014, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Why not get the Arnott Gen I OEM replacement spring for almost 1/2 the cost of OEM? The rears seem to be less problematic than the fronts in general.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I want an exact match to OEM if I'm just replacing one, and I am not price sensitive.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would suggest getting ready to replace the other too because they usually go in pairs. The Gen I's are an OEM equivalent (they use the same bladder as OEM) so you wouldn't notice any difference between them. Your call though.

Quick Reply: Weird sag symptoms on left rear