Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

What are the odds of a Chinese cam tensioner bad out of the box?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the odds of a Chinese cam tensioner bad out of the box?

May be a dumb question, but I don’t really know.

Characteristic sound of a damaged tensioner (passenger side) after completion of bilateral valve cover gaskets, cam seals, tensioner gaskets (timing belt removed) seemed like a slam dunk diagnosis. What else would be making that noise in that spot, right after I’d just been in there? Timing was perfect, via six hand revolutions with both valve covers still off.

So I ordered and received a new tensioner for the right side. Bit dismayed to see its country of origin, but was sourced from what I took to be a reliable company, so I plunged into the right side again, this time with timing belt on. I wasn’t prepared for the insane number of times it would take me to get the tensioner, chain, and cams reassembled in their proper place and relationships. But it finally happened.

Timing was retained using the method of clamping the belt to the cam sprocket, with a piece of smooth metal under the clamp, protecting the surface of the belt. And with the left timing belt cover off, to keep an eye on all the players. Timing was dead on when I started and when I finished.

Highly disheartening to hear an only slightly muted version of the same sound again when I started her up.

Depressing, is an appropriate description.

So, what are the chances that the new tensioner is bad? Any ideas on obvious alternate scenarios I haven’t considered?

Thanks, in advance!
Old 09-10-2015, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the chances of it NOT being bad? Which supposedly "reliable" source?
Old 09-12-2015, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, that was my attitude, Kneale...

Here's how it played out:

This took place with ECS. I ordered their cheap version of the tensioner (which does not state online that it's made in China). They didn't have the mid-priced German-made version that some shops offer, and, having spent an amazing amount of time and money working on this car this year, I opted for cheap.

They wanted me to return the part first for a refund, and before digging in to remove it, I decided to have the car towed to town for a second opinion from an indie-Audi shop I have confidence in. Amazingly, they had a cancellation the day I called. I got towed in for next to nothing.

But the best part was the Audi tech who recognized the sound from having made the same mistake I made. When the little paper gasket that belongs under the combi valve falls into the netherworld behind the engine, and the valve is unknowingly reattached without the gasket, you've got an Audi that sounds like a diesel (in one bank only). He recognized the sound, which of course, sounds like it's coming from a faulty tensioner.

They had one gasket in stock. I said, sure, be my guest. So, long story short, I learned from the experience and had the whole issue resolved in a couple of hours, for an hour's worth of shop time. I was back on the road with a humming allroad before lunch.

The tech actually dropped the gasket himself before the job was done, and couldn't find it. The owner of the shop was more persistent. They went back and eventually found it—along with my original.

So, I'm not about to open that thing up again to return the 'new' tensioner. But I'm keeping my original, which is likely just fine.

When I first bought this allroad, four years ago, I had worked on a lot of cars. But I couldn't quite fathom digging into this one. This year has been a very steep learning curve on a number of levels.

I'm coming to trust myself to be shown what I need to know to keep this car on the road—and to look for help when it seems prudent. I don't know of another car on the market that could give me what this one does.

Thanks for checking in on my post, Kneale!

Last edited by Stubborn, but Happy; 09-12-2015 at 01:11 PM.