Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

What Would You Do??? Please Leave A Reply

Old 08-13-2015, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Would You Do??? Please Leave A Reply

I spent about $2300 on my recent 2004 6 Speed AR Repairs.
The car is immaculate considering the 181K on the odo.
I drove 6 allroad prior to mine, ALL had fewer miles, and ALL were more than 1 owner.
Mine is a 1 owner, all the manuals, all the keys, everything works and service records reflected suspension was done all around. Clutch was done 30K miles ago, shifts like butter, lots of pull and stock K03's (yea I know) still uh boostin.

I had the TB+WP+VCG+CamTensioner Seals done.
Had new slotted and drilled rotors w/ ceramic pads all around.
Had the Secondary Air Pump replaced along with a new spider hose (pump was used but tested, hose is new from dealer)

So here is my issue.....
The more I drive the car and the more I nose around under the hood I keep noticing things the tech either missed, skipped, or lost. Missing engine cover screws, a missing bolt that looks like it holds down the secondary air pump, a heat shield for a hose was not fastened and just wedged between a couple other hoses, the skid plate under the car seems to have been flooded with oil and not cleaned; as if they drained the oil without dropping the skid plate all the way.... not cleaning it means it would very hard to detect any new leaks. The skid plate is just oozing with sludge now from oil mixing with dirt. Engine bay was left filthy, dirtier than I left it. Makes me wonder how good of a job they REALLY did.....

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Last edited by CT6speedAR; 08-13-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

FYI, I am leaning toward saying to hell with the shop who did the work and paying another $2000 + to get the job done at a shop that doesn't lose things, cleans up, and can walk me through the car properly to make me truly aware of the work that was done.

IMO $1250 is a small price to pay for piece of mind and keeping a car that I absolutely LOVE in amazing running condition.

Maybe I am just OCD or crazy.... I dunno. I worked to damn hard to find this car to have it get screwed up.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

You need to go back to the shop and grab the service manager. Take him through each item on your list, and tell him to call you when it's all fixed...free of charge, of course.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, nearly any shop will have a few of these little problems. They want to get your car fixed as quickly as possible and little things like missing hold down bolt can easily be missed. I'm not saying it's right but the only way to really get everything buttoned down is to do the work yourself.

I say clean up and replace the missing items and wash your hands of that shop. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No shop should leave fasteners unfastened and dirty messes. I'd ask the shop to address your issues. If they decline to complete the jobs properly, I'd tell all the Allroad forums which garage it is and never go back myself.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the reasons I've gone back to doing all my own work, even a good shop with a good rep seems to have these short cutting issues....especially with reinstalling the shields under the car, most of the time they just leave it off, and the owner doesn't even realize it. In my case only 4 fasteners were still here, the rest were gone and I paid $65 for all new fasteners! There were other issues too, just like the op.

Now I do all my own work.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

One question I would have is were any of the parts missing before you had the work done at the shop? Of course, if so, you would think they would have at the least pointed them out to you when it was in their shop. Could turn out to be one of those finger pointing events. If that happens when you go back to them, find another shop to make it whole.
Just curious...was it an Audi service or indy shop?
Old 08-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
One question I would have is were any of the parts missing before you had the work done at the shop? Of course, if so, you would think they would have at the least pointed them out to you when it was in their shop. Could turn out to be one of those finger pointing events. If that happens when you go back to them, find another shop to make it whole.
Just curious...was it an Audi service or indy shop?

All the parts were there and confirmed by me to be intact before I brought the car to the shop.
In fact the day I visited the shop to vet the lead tech / owner before dumping a load of cash, he opened the hood of my car and verbally noted how I still had all my engine cover bolts.. ALL of them.

I cannot however confirm I had both bolts for the SAIP.

I paid another shop to clean my engine and skid plate, I also paid them to do a full tune up and some other things the last guy "missed" (hockey puck plugs) While they were in there they checked the VCG bolts to see if they were torqued to spec, they said they had to tighten a couple.

Now I have a clean engine and no oil smell at all.
basically what I WAS expecting from the previous shop.