Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Where is the Allroad Suspension Compressor Motor Relay?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power to the Allroad Suspension Compressor Motor Relay

In my 2001 Allroad, I have no voltage at pin 30 of the relay (J403) even though 40A Fuse is OK.

The wiring diagram shows a red wire from the 40A fuse connecting direct to pin 30 of the relay; in reality, it's a red/blue wire that leaves the fuse and disappears in the wire "jumble". What comes out of the "jumble" is a red wire that connects to pin 30.

Does anyone know how the connection happens between the red/blue and red wires in the "jumble"?

The relay itself works fine.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Which position is the relay in? I do not find a chart anywhere, and do not have a Bentley for the 4B. Anyone kind enough to link me to a diagram of the under dash fuse and relay block?

My 3b Avant was so much easier to work on!!!!
Old 01-07-2016, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fadam Gritchell
Which position is the relay in? I do not find a chart anywhere, and do not have a Bentley for the 4B. Anyone kind enough to link me to a diagram of the under dash fuse and relay block?

My 3b Avant was so much easier to work on!!!!
the diagram here shows the location on the 1st page, its in position 6 in 8 point relay carrier

Suspension.pdf

regards

Andy
Old 01-07-2016, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Andy. schematic clearly show the relay block for an A6, but looks nothing like my 2001 Allroad block. I see 3 separate blocks: most anterior and superior is a single relay on
a block with a 15amp fuse embossed 373 40Amp.

Second tier below and behind is the largest with three rows with a total of 12 relays.

lowest and deepest tier has 3 releys, 2 40 amp fuses, one small and one large, and a large 50 amp fuse, and what I believe are two thin flashers or metal style releys.

My yellow dash suspension light stays solid and the level control switch blinks green on the lowest setting. My rear air bags are at 100% and my front are both on bump stop. FUN FUN FUN!
Old 01-11-2016, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fadam Gritchell
Thanks Andy. schematic clearly show the relay block for an A6, but looks nothing like my 2001 Allroad block. I see 3 separate blocks: most anterior and superior is a single relay on
a block with a 15amp fuse embossed 373 40Amp.

Second tier below and behind is the largest with three rows with a total of 12 relays.

lowest and deepest tier has 3 releys, 2 40 amp fuses, one small and one large, and a large 50 amp fuse, and what I believe are two thin flashers or metal style releys.

My yellow dash suspension light stays solid and the level control switch blinks green on the lowest setting. My rear air bags are at 100% and my front are both on bump stop. FUN FUN FUN!
The diagram is for an allroad but its maybe more suited to my 2000 uk model, your relay carrier with the 2 x 40 amp fuses sounds good, the relay should be marked 373, one of the 40 amps will be the compressor fuse, do they all check out ok?

does the suspension error light flash at all on start up? or on solid all the time?

if its solid all the time there is a permanent fault and we need the fault codes read. if it flashes for 120 seconds then solid check fuse and relay and even apply 12v straight onto compressor motor plug to see if it runs,

let us know what you find

regards

Andy
Old 01-11-2016, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bagpipingandy
The diagram is for an allroad but its maybe more suited to my 2000 uk model, your relay carrier with the 2 x 40 amp fuses sounds good, the relay should be marked 373, one of the 40 amps will be the compressor fuse, do they all check out ok?

does the suspension error light flash at all on start up? or on solid all the time?

if its solid all the time there is a permanent fault and we need the fault codes read. if it flashes for 120 seconds then solid check fuse and relay and even apply 12v straight onto compressor motor plug to see if it runs,

regards

Andy
Andy & Fadam,
My 2001 Allroad is the US version (although I live in Canada) and the location of the relay is as shown on the diagram; i.e., position #6. which is second from the right on the top row. Although the original relay was "373", I would not pay much attention to the number in trying to locate the relay.

Andy, you might be able to shed light on my 12-23-2015 post regarding wiring from that relay. I would be grateful.
Ric
Old 01-12-2016, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RicP
Andy & Fadam,
My 2001 Allroad is the US version (although I live in Canada) and the location of the relay is as shown on the diagram; i.e., position #6. which is second from the right on the top row. Although the original relay was "373", I would not pay much attention to the number in trying to locate the relay.

Andy, you might be able to shed light on my 12-23-2015 post regarding wiring from that relay. I would be grateful.
Ric
Hi Ric,

yes you are correct be carefull with the 373 markings its not on every relay especially if its been changed, and 373 type is used for other things too.

as for your post I will have a look, im just catching up as I've been very busy but looking to get back into the forum life, even if you send me a link im happy to reply, as for wiring though this is the best allroad suspension wiring document to follow:

Suspension diagram.pdf

will it help?

best regards

Andy
Old 01-13-2016, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I also have that wiring diagram but it does not correspond to the reality of my wiring as I've described in my earlier post: diagram shows direct connection between 40A fuse and pin #30 of the relay; the actual is a red/blue wire leaving the fuse and a red wire at relay pin#30.

Evidently, the two wires disappearing into the wire labyrinth connected in some way, which now they don't do. I did a temporary fix by adding an additional wire between the fuse and pin#30. While the system is now working, it's not clear what function I have disabled.

I did come across one diagram which accurately showed a blue/red wire coming from the fuse but it did not show how it met up with the red wire.

Maintenance manager of a local Audi dealership offered the same diagram as you had done but could not be convinced that it did not reflect my reality.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Another Suspension Problem

Hey guys,
My 2005 A8 is slammed to the ground on all corners the pump turns on and runs for a few minutes but does not lift the car, I rebuilt the pump with one of Andys rebuilt kit but I have the same problem. Both up and down arrows on the dash flash for a bit then just the down arrow flashes, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jeremiah2005A8
Hey guys,
My 2005 A8 is slammed to the ground on all corners the pump turns on and runs for a few minutes but does not lift the car, I rebuilt the pump with one of Andys rebuilt kit but I have the same problem. Both up and down arrows on the dash flash for a bit then just the down arrow flashes, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
Hi,

can you hear the compressor running while the orange error light flashes?

if the compressor doesn't run while the error light flashes check the compressor fuse, relay, and check the compressor motor works by applying 12v to it,

if the compressor does run, double check the piston ring is fitted up the correct way, if upside down it will not work, also check for any burst airbags at the front causing the air to escape,

regards

Andy