Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Would ya again?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would ya again?

Hi all...I was a long time Audi driver; had a 2007 A3 until late 2013 which I loved. I'm driving a 2014 BMW X1 now and am very close to ordering a new X1 M-Sport when they are available later this fall...I worked with a great Audi salesman out here in LA when I was considering the Q3 and he just emailed me some terrific lease numbers on a 2016 loaded Allroad Premium Plus...what would you do? Why would you favor an Allroad over the BMW if you would? Obviously, everyone has different tastes and needs...I don't need a ton of room; just my wife and I and our 2 small dogs but AWD is a requirement...thoughts?
Old 09-17-2015, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I now have a 2004 allroad that I bought less than 2 years ago with 52,000 miles. Black, 6 speed. I came from a 2002 bmw 325ix that I bought with 89,000 miles on it and had until about 190,000.

In my case. Without hesitation the BMW is a better built car. Mechanically that may not be fair a flat 6 to a 2.7 biturbo engine. That aside the number of plastic bits on my AR that are just JUNK.... AMAZING. From the cupholder faceplate being so fragile/broken. The plastic clip that holds (held) the **** *** from rotating, the 'soft touch' buttons (they litteraly mean touch them softly/don't even look at them or the paint will fall off), The number of plastic squeaks from the seat belt tensioning system and who knows wherever else... The armrest lid is broken, the head liner is sagging.... All of these are minor in themselves but for a car that was this much $$ new it's AMAZING how poorly built some of the buttons and such are.

Now. Which is more fun to drive? The AR hands down. Would I buy another one. Most likely NO WAY IN HELL. I got a 'clean one' and have had a number of issues.

Audi owners seem to have a great way (in my exp.) of telling you how awesome these cars are. You get one. Spend a ton on repairs and then your audi friends tell you, oh yeah. They are expensive to own. Welcome to the club...

I have found it is KEY to have the right person working on your car. These are NOT your average cars. Your local shop that sometimes works on them is not going to be able to really take care of this car for you. You need to find a great independent shop or go to the dealer if you are not doing the work yourself

I have spent roughly $5,000 on getting my car sorted out over the past 2 years. Some was work needed. Some was my shop saying it's A when it was actually B that was wrong with my car..... I feared the dealer but ultimately spent more money and WAY more aggravation going to a smaller shop.