Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Would you tow this boat with your ar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about a 3,000 pound car and an aluminum trailer?
Old 09-08-2009, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You mean that MINI with the Airstream behind it?

That was just an advertising campaign, they never really intended to pull the trailer with the MINI......
Old 09-10-2009, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Tamas
what if you installed trailer brakes? at least the stopping issue would be lessened then.
All boats I've ever seen that size have surge brakes on the trailers already.

Doesn't appear to be a lot of boaters left on this board.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GGGDallas
No way, no how......that boat would push the AR all over the place on braking, would make the tongue weight pretty nasty simply driving (which makes for poor control). BTW, the curb weight would be a bit more.......7lbs per gallon of fuel and your toys would add up quickly.

Further, you would risk some legal exposure if you knowingly exceeded the max weight rating and towed anyhow......and got into a wreck.

Just my 2 cents...

GGG
GGG is absolutely right! The specs on the boat brochure is the "dry weight". Add a 50gal of gas + 12gal of potable H20, viola!!! Your rig is now even be heavier!! BTW, the included trailer has brakes. I believe it's the law. Anything 3k lbs requires a trailer brake. The boat dealer will not be allowed to sell such heavy boat w/o the trailer brakes. I was told by my boat dealer that of course it(law) varies from state to state. Some requires the trailer brakes anything 1000#+.

Oh, yeah.... I will not tow that boat with an AR even though you have a 4.2! Bottom line, don't wreck your AR & your NEW boat! Invest on a pickup truck or suv with min. tow rating of 6000#. Or settle for a smaller size boat. Perhaps an 18-ft 8-seater Seadoo Challenger, or a Yamaha AR??
Old 11-26-2010, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, that is too much boat for an AR to tow.

I get guff from the guys on the nautique forum for planning to tow a ski nautique that weight 3000 with trailer weight included with my new to me 4.2 AR. I'm only planning on short hauls to local lakes with the AR, and still using the v8 4runner to tow to go 3 hours to the cabin. The 4runner rated at 7000 lbs handles the SN with no issue, even under panic brake conditions on the freeway.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lucky you. Enough $$$ for two money pits.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did tow a Travel Trailer (caravane) of more than 4k. Loaded up to 5k. But my AR is equipped with a reinforced oem hitch, i use weight distribution bars and the car is equipped with an electric brake controler. you can seach this forum for "towing a travel trailer with an AR" you should find some photos, if not e-mail me i will sent you some. Nevertheless, i think that the boat you are thinking to tow is quiet big and heavy. 6k may be a little more is a lot. I saw that you also own a Q7. The Q7 is not a lot better (i mean as a hauler - motor and drivetrain - but heavier and you should not need weight distribution bars if tongue weight of the trailer is not over 300#) would do the job but don't forget the brakes.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by change2E85
Lucky you. Enough $$$ for two money pits.

I have a couple other money pits too, but I don't buy them new, and am very handy. Being a gearhead allows me to keep all my toys.

So what company will be making the 5000 lb real tow hitch in the US for the AR?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to highjack the thread, but i have a snowmobile trailer, and aluminum titon tilt trialer, probably weights a couple hundred lbs, and two sleds (snowmobiles). Sleds weight about 500lbs each.

Can i tow ?
I have a 2.7 ar 2003 tip. hitch it not oem.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

what hitch do you have?

If it is like mine, that can take 1250 lbs, you are probably at the upper limit with 2 sleds and the trailer. Especially a fter a weekend of riding the sleds can gain an easy 100 lbs each of ice under the tunnels and suspension.

Quick Reply: Would you tow this boat with your ar?