Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

Front License Plate?

Old 06-30-2014, 12:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate?

In talking to the dealer, he mentioned that the info they have now states that front license plates are no longer required for ED. Many of the US States don't require them and the front lines of the car do look better without it.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this? I'd hate to pick up the car without front plates and get hassled by every cop over there.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gforaker
In talking to the dealer, he mentioned that the info they have now states that front license plates are no longer required for ED.
Interesting, the 2014 order guide says (emphasis is original):
The 6W3 option (front plate holder) is mandatory. Ingolstadt will not deliver the vehicle without the front plate. Orders that are received without this option will have it added. If the customer would like this replaced with a filler plate once the car is shipped back to the US, the dealer handles any further actions on their end as an accessory install. Any exchange parts and labor are not covered under the program.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...nAgreement.pdf
>>>>>>>>>

Front License Plate
A front plate holder and license plate is mandatory while driving in Europe. Because some states do not require a front plate, you may decide that you do not want this plate holder once your vehicle is returned to the US. Please review the two options below
regarding how the plate will be affixed to the front of the car. A box must be checked and you must initial your selected option.
(Effective on all orders after June 16, 2014)

Install a front plate holder. (This choice makes the most sense if your home state requires a front plate.) The plate will be bolted to this bracket during the delivery prep process. If you would later like the front license plate holder removed and a filler piece installed the dealer will handle this process on their end upon your request as an accessory install, once the vehicle is shipped back to the US. Any exchange parts and labor are not
covered under the European Delivery Process. The cost for removing the plate holder and installing a new filler piece varies by dealer.

Do not install a front plate holder. The plate will be temporarily affixed to front grill via an alternative option, most likely a “zip tie.” You assume all liability for how the plate is displayed. This includes but is not limited to tickets and the cost to replace the front plate if lost or stolen. You hold Audi of America and AUDI AG harmless for any fees, fines or legal costs.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Cool! I missed that by a few weeks (if they go by delivery date).
Old 07-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I didn't have the pdf guide. So, it really is just new this year. I'm not sure how crazy I am with it zip tied to the front grill at 120mph. At least it will be legal. Front plates are still "required" here in Ohio, but all surrounding States do not require them and there is a bill in the State House to not require them. Many people don't use them and it is not heavily enforced. The car's lines definitely look better without it.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am going with 'zip tie' in Europe. Hopefully they hold well during the trip before making it to Texas
Old 07-02-2014, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

My RS7 came with a front plate mount, but I removed it. Looks much better. Front plate is required in California, but my experience is you only get a ticket if you annoy a cop with some legal but questionable maneuver. Fix it ticket is $25 if you fix, or $200 if you don't (as of 2013).