Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

Euro Delivery Questions - R8

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro Delivery Questions - R8

Hi all,

I'm likely going to purchase a '17 R8 this coming year, and considering doing European delivery. I've read the FAQs above, but have a couple questions / wondering if a few policies are still the same:

- Do ED cars come out of a dealer's allocation? Specifically for RS / or an R8?
- The FAQ said that destination was included, but it seems that is no longer the case?
- Has anyone tried negotiating on an RS car or R8 for ED? I notice that they're not eligible for Audi's ED discount. With that said, plenty of folks on R8talk have negotiated down for non-ED factory cars
- Finally, I think I read somewhere that the purchaser of the car needs to take delivery for ED? Thing is, I plan on having my father initially purchase the car, then sell to me shortly after once it hits US soil. (Exemption to avoid CA taxes, parent lives in OR = no tax). Any way to joint sign for the car? I'll be assuming the loan either way, just needs to be initially registered to father in Oregon.

-Will
Old 12-16-2016, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

1) Yes, RS and the R8 come out of dealer's allocation. All other models don't.
2) What do you mean included? You have to pay for destination regardless of whether you do ED or not.
3) RS and the R8 are no longer eligible for the 5% ED discount, but that doesn't mean you can't negotiate a discount. Dealer may be reluctant to give a discount, because ED is lot more work for them and as said the car comes out of their allocation. I don't know about the R8, but RS models have no holdbacks or anything in them for the dealer, so all the profit comes from the margin.
4) You have to work that out with Audi. They will send an authorization letter to the purchaser and only the person named on that letter can take delivery of the vehicle. As far as the registration goes, that's the job of the dealer, so you just have to sort that out with them, so that they register the car in the correct person's name once it arrives at the dealership. The ED folks have nothing to do with that.

Hope it works out. ED is the best way to take possession of a car like the R8. I did ED with my RS5. Keep in mind the R8 doesn't have a lot of luggage space. You'll have to travel light. I stayed for almost 4 weeks.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Swiss - very helpful. As far as 2, I think I read in the FAQ that the destination charge was waived (back in 2007), but it appears that's not the case anymore

It sounds like for 4, they may be able to put the purchaser as me and registration as my father if they aren't completely linked, but I'll definitely be asking the dealer for more details

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I'll only be in country for around 8 days, with 2 days travel, so I figure a larger duffel + backpack should suffice
Old 12-18-2016, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Transferring your car from OR to CA will still be subject to sales (or use tax). You will have to pay it when you register it in CA...
Old 12-19-2016, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Luckily I will not in this specific case. In California there is a use tax exemption if the seller is direct family (parents) according to R&TC §6285. Essentially what will need to happen is my father will need to register the car first under his name in OR, then directly sell to me.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcmath:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch4/ch4_6
Old 01-20-2017, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interesting because it clearly states that you would be subject to use tax in the family transfer process. Additionally bringing the car from out of state would likely warrant more visibility.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...s/howto/htvr32
Old 01-20-2017, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry, I'm not quite sure where you're reading that? It says for family you need to fill out a REG256 form which allows you to write in an exemption for purchase from family. Specifically in the form it states it is exempt from use tax due to it being a family transaction
Old 01-21-2017, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The problem you are going to run into is the transfer coming from out of state as a car being registered for the first time in CA. The family exemption really focuses on a car being purchased in California from a family member that bought it in CA. You are kidding yourself if you think CA is going to let you skirt taxes on a $175k+ vehicle, especially one that is only "owned" for a short period of time by your father.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by PeteDin206
The problem you are going to run into is the transfer coming from out of state as a car being registered for the first time in CA. The family exemption really focuses on a car being purchased in California from a family member that bought it in CA. You are kidding yourself if you think CA is going to let you skirt taxes on a $175k+ vehicle, especially one that is only "owned" for a short period of time by your father.
Eh, penal code doesn't make a distinction here and just says you're exempt if it's a family transfer, and the calculator on the website shows 0 taxes even for out of state transfer. Worst case I just pay the tax + shipping fees, best case I save the 15k.

​​​