Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

First time Euro Delivery!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes. How would I know if I got a ticket and are their any apps for my phone you would recommend?

Originally Posted by TIME89
Original Post
The World's Highest Speeding Fines
Old 09-23-2015, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by luckydragon
Yikes. How would I know if I got a ticket and are their any apps for my phone you would recommend?
Unless you saw a flash (non IR based speed trap) or the trap itself you wouldn't know until you get the ticket in the mail. Your U.S. address will be what's used for the car registration & insurance, so they'll know where to send it.

Speed trap apps are illegal in at least Switzerland / Austria to have on your device, even if you're not using it as far as I know. You can get fined for that as well if they see / find it.

My recommendation is to simply not speed The usual freeway speed limit over in Europe is 80 mph. You just got to be really careful off the freeway. Each country you enter will have a sign showing you speed limits for in town (usually around 50 kph), outside of town (80 or 90 usually), motorway (100 or 110) and freeway (130 kph).

If you want to go fast use the Autobahn or Nurburgring. If you take it up in the mountains there might be some fun roads there without police, but no guarantee of course.

In the end if you do want to speed then keep it reasonable. Don't do it in town (pedestrians and lots of cyclists usually and they're not used to that) and don't go more than 20 - 30 kph faster than the limit. Then you'll just get a ticket. If you can afford a brand new Audi and European trip and want to speed I'm sure you can afford a couple of "minor" tickets

If you just want to obey the speed limit get TomTom Western Europe for your phone. It's offline navigation which means you also don't need to take Audi's silly Garmin and for most roads it knows the speed limit. Sometimes it's out of date, but it's better than nothing. I used it myself last month and was nice to sometimes know or double check the speed limit.

Last edited by visuar; 09-23-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also don't forget that most EU countries take driving while drinking VERY seriously. Anything more than one beer or glass of wine with dinner can go very badly for you.

I pretty much obeyed the speed limits and still had plenty of fast time on the Autobahn. There was one nasty speed camera right after a poorly and illogically placed reduced speed sign. I consider it a nice souvenir they mailed to me.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Hilariously Sketchy Slip Of Paper You Need To Drive In 150 Countries

What exactly does an International Driving Permit do for you?

Straight from the FTC:

“An international driving permit (IDP) translates your government-issued driver’s license into 10 languages. Although your U.S. driver’s license lets you drive in many foreign countries, the translations in the IDP are intended to minimize language barriers when you drive in countries where English is not widely spoken or understood. That’s all an IDP does.”
Old 09-26-2015, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Congrats. You will love it. You don't need an international driver's license in most European countries. If I remember correct, a few Eastern European countries require them, but Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands and pretty much all of Western Europe you can save yourself the $25.

You want to know what the speed limits are in each country. Most don't post the speed limit unless it is less than the normal speed limit for the street you are on. For example in town is 50 kph, which is effective as soon as you cross the town's border, but in Germany and Switzerland for example, they don't actually post a 50 kph speed limit. You have to know it. Speed traps are all over especially in towns. In Switzerland they even have unmarked regular cars that are speed traps. The radar is built into the grill and they just park the car at the side of the street next to other cars. You don't know until you see a red flash.

As for the fines, in some countries like Switzerland certain violations are income based. There was a case a few years ago for example. A group of Chinese millionaires flew to Italy, bought themselves Ferraris, Lamborghinis etc. and start to drive through Europe. They were caught in Switzerland doing excessive speeds on the Autobahn. They were thrown in jail, the cars were taken away from them and each one was fined several $100,000s for excessive speeding. They claimed they didn't know the Autobahn in Switzerland had a speed limit. It does. It's 120 kph, but as I said it's not posted anywhere, only in sections that are less than 120 kph.

As for GPS, don't pay money to buy something like TomTom for your phone. Download the free HERE Maps app (formerly Nokia). Has offline maps etc. Used to be exclusive for Windows Phone and was the reason I switched to Windows Phone. I regularly travel to Europe as I'm from Switzerland and still have family there.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-26-2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I travel to Germany for work from time to time and no international DL is required. I have driven in Germany, Czech, Switzerland, and Austria and it's not a problem.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom-Tom Europe and Western Europe (cheaper) both have optional traffic and speed camera add-ons and they work.

Originally Posted by visuar
Unless you saw a flash (non IR based speed trap) or the trap itself you wouldn't know until you get the ticket in the mail. Your U.S. address will be what's used for the car registration & insurance, so they'll know where to send it.

Speed trap apps are illegal in at least Switzerland / Austria to have on your device, even if you're not using it as far as I know. You can get fined for that as well if they see / find it.

My recommendation is to simply not speed The usual freeway speed limit over in Europe is 80 mph. You just got to be really careful off the freeway. Each country you enter will have a sign showing you speed limits for in town (usually around 50 kph), outside of town (80 or 90 usually), motorway (100 or 110) and freeway (130 kph).

If you want to go fast use the Autobahn or Nurburgring. If you take it up in the mountains there might be some fun roads there without police, but no guarantee of course.

In the end if you do want to speed then keep it reasonable. Don't do it in town (pedestrians and lots of cyclists usually and they're not used to that) and don't go more than 20 - 30 kph faster than the limit. Then you'll just get a ticket. If you can afford a brand new Audi and European trip and want to speed I'm sure you can afford a couple of "minor" tickets

If you just want to obey the speed limit get TomTom Western Europe for your phone. It's offline navigation which means you also don't need to take Audi's silly Garmin and for most roads it knows the speed limit. Sometimes it's out of date, but it's better than nothing. I used it myself last month and was nice to sometimes know or double check the speed limit.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks for the replies! the trip went great and i highly recommend european delivery
Old 10-20-2015, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luckydragon
thanks for the replies! the trip went great and i highly recommend european delivery
Congrats!!! any pics you would like to share with us?
Old 10-22-2015, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TIME89
Congrats!!! any pics you would like to share with us?

Driving to Switzerland!

At the Audi Forum!

Somewhere in France...

Quick Reply: First time Euro Delivery!