Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

Nürburgring FAQ: Everything you need to know about the Ring & ED

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say go for it. I was there in September of last year and it was one of the highlights of my trip. Of course, in my case I had the Nordschleife in my plans since day 1 and it was great to be able to drive there in person.

Having said that, you need to be fully aware of what you're getting into. I'm pretty sure Audi's complimentary insurance does not cover any driving on any track and you'll be hard pressed to find an insurance company that will.

I bought two laps expecting to buy maybe a couple more afterwards. I saw 2 accidents on the first lap and 3 more on the second, one being serious enough that they closed to track to clean things up. It was a great segway to take my new car out of the track and call it a day. Having said that, I would do it again without a doubt. Sticking to the right is a good strategy. Also know your limits -- in my case the limits of the car far exceeded my own so I guess that was good too. Yes, you could be rear-ended by someone not taking the same precautions but when will you have another oportunity to do this? In my case it was me, my dad, a close friend and his dad. I don't think our wives will ever allow us to do this again. ;-)

My one regret was to not have rented their dash camera to record my laps. It would be great to have that. :-(

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarthRay
I'd say go for it. I was there in September of last year and it was one of the highlights of my trip. Of course, in my case I had the Nordschleife in my plans since day 1 and it was great to be able to drive there in person.

Having said that, you need to be fully aware of what you're getting into. I'm pretty sure Audi's complimentary insurance does not cover any driving on any track and you'll be hard pressed to find an insurance company that will.

I bought two laps expecting to buy maybe a couple more afterwards. I saw 2 accidents on the first lap and 3 more on the second, one being serious enough that they closed to track to clean things up. It was a great segway to take my new car out of the track and call it a day. Having said that, I would do it again without a doubt. Sticking to the right is a good strategy. Also know your limits -- in my case the limits of the car far exceeded my own so I guess that was good too. Yes, you could be rear-ended by someone not taking the same precautions but when will you have another oportunity to do this? In my case it was me, my dad, a close friend and his dad. I don't think our wives will ever allow us to do this again. ;-)

My one regret was to not have rented their dash camera to record my laps. It would be great to have that. :-(

I don't think they allow to use camera. One of AudiWorld user - CrazyIvan (who done Ring on his Q5) reported that.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TIME89
I don't think they allow to use camera. One of AudiWorld user - CrazyIvan (who done Ring on his Q5) reported that.
That's what I used to think too. However, last year they were offering their own dash cameras for a fee. The fee was proportional to the size of the SD card inside and you got to keep the SD card afterwards. The camera was loaded with the SD card and then sealed before being handed to you and you were supposed to return it to them afterwards so they could unseal it and remove the SD card. Personally I think they did that so they could review the contents of the SD card before releasing it to you.

I also saw some people (just a few) sporting what appeared to be their own cameras on the their dash. Not sure whether that was ok or not.

I just checked their web site and found this (source: http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/angebo...dschleife.html):

Prices for tourist rides Nordschleife in 2012:

1 lap: 26,- €
4 laps: 95,- € incl. 1 ring°werk ticket 10 % discount on onboard cameras
[...]
So it looks like they're still offering it this year. I would go for it as well.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

thanks for the encouragement. here is my road trip route after i pick up the car in ingolstadt on oct 19:
baden-baden
nuerburgring
cologne
hamburg (drop off)
i think i will go to the nordschleife on oct 20 afternoon and see what it's like with traffic and audience etc. it's too late too book an M5 ring taxi, so either i will just watch the touristfahrten for a while, or do a single lap if i'm feeling up to it. can't convince myself yet .

Originally Posted by DarthRay

Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Porsche 911 Carrera S nails down 7:37.9 'Ring time [w/video]

By Jeffrey N. Ross
Original Post
Porsche released a video of its 911 Carrera S lapping the Nürburgring last month, and with a time of 7:37.9, the quintessential sports coupe continues to impress. With Timo Kluck behind the wheel, this Carrera S posted better times around the 'Ring than the 997 911 Turbo and, according to PorscheBoost, it even knocked a full two seconds off the time the Carrera S recorded last year.

The run took place on August 28, but Porsche only published the video this week. After checking recorded lap times posted on Wikipedia, the 911's run was faster than independent tests of the Lexus LFA, Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, Nissan GT-R and Ferrari 458 Italia (which all posted times of 7:38). That's good company if you ask us.
http://youtu.be/OnSpVN0-wio

Last edited by TIME89; 10-08-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TIME89
It is correct that they don't allow camera/video. However, after I entered the ring, my fiance placed the suction car mount with camera on the sunroof glass and we got a great video of the lap I did.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by videsi
thanks for the encouragement. here is my road trip route after i pick up the car in ingolstadt on oct 19:
baden-baden
nuerburgring
cologne
hamburg (drop off)
i think i will go to the nordschleife on oct 20 afternoon and see what it's like with traffic and audience etc. it's too late too book an M5 ring taxi, so either i will just watch the touristfahrten for a while, or do a single lap if i'm feeling up to it. can't convince myself yet .
Highly recommend lapping the ring if you make it out there. It is a long trek out there in the middle of nowhere. But well worth it.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Osicom
It is correct that they don't allow camera/video. However, after I entered the ring, my fiance placed the suction car mount with camera on the sunroof glass and we got a great video of the lap I did.
Please share with all of us. Thanks
Old 10-21-2012, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

made it to the ring 30 minutes before scheduled closing time of 1830 yesterday, but they told me i couldn't get on because they closed the track early due to an accident. huge bummer. oh well, some things are just not meant to be i suppose. just took a couple pics of the empty track and that was that. sorry.
Attached Images   
Old 10-21-2012, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Man that sucks big time. Sorry the track was closed.

Quick Reply: Nürburgring FAQ: Everything you need to know about the Ring & ED