Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

Ordering/Delivery Process

Old 06-28-2014, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering/Delivery Process

I am looking into the process of European Delivery and had some questions for those who have been through the delivery process...

1. Typically when are you able to take delivery for the new model year... I am looking to purchase a 2016 SQ5 and wondering what the earliest date for delivery would be next summer.

2. When ordering, typically how many payments are you required to make before taking delivery stateside. I know you have to pay in full before you pick up, so I figured around 4 payments before delivery...

3. How long is typically transit time once shipped from Europe... Just trying to understand timing...

Thanks...
Old 06-28-2014, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adamvincent617
I am looking into the process of European Delivery and had some questions for those who have been through the delivery process...

1. Typically when are you able to take delivery for the new model year... I am looking to purchase a 2016 SQ5 and wondering what the earliest date for delivery would be next summer.

2. When ordering, typically how many payments are you required to make before taking delivery stateside. I know you have to pay in full before you pick up, so I figured around 4 payments before delivery...

3. How long is typically transit time once shipped from Europe... Just trying to understand timing...

Thanks...
Hi, adamvincent617!
And Welcome to Audi ED forum!
Yu should start with Audi ED Wiki and first few sticky posts.

1. Usually all German car manufactures closed in August for re-tooling and start new year with September build. Some time they break this cycle and release new model year early. If I would you - I will send e-mail to Sarah Toycen and check if 2016 will be year when they move production of Q5 from Germany to Mexico.

2. Should by 2 payments if you leave on West Cost of US and one payment for East cost customers.

3. East Cost 3-4 weeks
West Coast -7 to 9 weeks. Recently one of our member get his car 5 weeks after drop off.

Last edited by TIME89; 06-28-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adamvincent617
I live in the West Coast, and for me last year, it took a total of 9 weeks from European drop-off to dealership pick-up.

Roughly:

2-1/2 weeks from drop-off in Nice, France to loading onto vessel in Emden, Germany
2 weeks to transit the Atlantic to 1st US port, Brunswick, GA
2 weeks to transit through Panama Canal to San Diego
2-1/2 weeks to clear customs, transport to San Francisco, and dealer prep for pick-up

I think the actually sailing transit times do not vary much from vessel to vessel and the key factors that I think affect total delivery time are:

(1) time to transport from drop-off point to shipment port
(2) wait time until suitable vessel
(3) where you live, for example, west coast or east coast
(4) time to clear customs and transport to dealership
Old 06-28-2014, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Q5forWife
I live in the West Coast, and for me last year, it took a total of 9 weeks from European drop-off to dealership pick-up.

Roughly:

2-1/2 weeks from drop-off in Nice, France to loading onto vessel in Emden, Germany
2 weeks to transit the Atlantic to 1st US port, Brunswick, GA
2 weeks to transit through Panama Canal to San Diego
2-1/2 weeks to clear customs, transport to San Francisco, and dealer prep for pick-up

I think the actually sailing transit times do not vary much from vessel to vessel and the key factors that I think affect total delivery time are:

(3) where you live, for example, west coast or east coast
(4) time to clear customs and transport to dealership
(5) Weather during crossing Atlantic Ocean
Old 06-29-2014, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Q5forWife
Yep - there seems to be huge variability around these two: witness HerrK dropping off 7 days before me (and further away from port) but my ship leaving almost 2 weeks after his

Audi says 11-13 weeks, and there doesn't seem to be much one can do about that
Old 06-29-2014, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's a matter of the trucking & shiping vessel timing. Our Q5 is on track to roll off the ship in San Diego tomorrow - 30 June. Less than 6 weeks from drop off. Barring any customs or port issues I am expecting redelivery by the 8 week time for sure, as we live in the San Diego area. This particular vessel, Aguria Leader, was a direct shot from Bremerhaven, to Southhampton, to San Diego. I think we just got lucky.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

1. As "TIME89" stated, you will need to confirm that the 2016 Audi SQ5 isn't the first model year where it's built at the new Mexico facility. If you are looking for the new model year without any major changes, then you may be able to get away with a delivery some time in August. In 2013, the Q5 had a small makeover, this caused delays in production at least for the 3.0T engine until around September/October, so I ended up cancelling my first ED attempt, since I couldn't take delivery between September/October. The problem was, I didn't get answers on production dates until June/July, so at some point I just had to call it off and I moved on with my own honeymoon plans without doing ED. Eventually I tried again, for my 2014 SQ5, I had a delivery date of October 7th. But I received a VIN number on 7/31. Now I received official confirmation that my Delivery Date was locked in on 8/14. So maybe that is when the car was officially ready and passed all of their inspections. You may want to work with someone from ED to get a better idea.

2. I officially signed my car loan on 8/29, so from Audi ED's point of view the car is fully paid off. As far as making payments towards my loan, I made my first payment on my car some time in September.

3. For me, I dropped it off in Amsterdam on 10/14. The car arrived at the San Diego (CA) port on 11/20. The car arrived at my dealership in Northern California on 12/4. So for me, it took less than 8 weeks for my car.

From experience of trying to plan ED so far in advance, ask Audi as many questions as possible. They may not have the answers at the moment, but I would keep following up until you get definitive answers. If you have a delivery date in mind, then confirm that date is available for delivery and if you care for the factory tour, then try to lock it in as soon as they will let you. Good luck...
Old 07-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

In 2010 we ordered a car, with Exclusive paint color, in February for a June delivery. I think the car was actually built in late April, but the Audi ED folks were very accommodating and were able to hold the car until our desired date. I believe they try to make it work out for you if they can. It probably helped that we were at the end of the model year. We also had to deal with an Icelandic volcano screwing up transatlantic travel and British Airways strike cancelling our original booking. But it all worked out.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the feedback... It seems like three payments is a safe bet by the time the car is picked up in Germany and shipped back to the States... I would be trying to cordinating this with moving, as I would like to have the car waiting for me after shipment in our new hometown after selling my existing car before we pack up and leave...

I will say if they move production to Mexico for the 2016 model year, I would probably go with something else... Just don't like idea of my Audi being manufactured in Mexico... Bad experience with a 2001 Jetta
Old 07-04-2014, 07:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You should check, but I believe the car has to be delivered to the dealer you purchased it from.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ordering/Delivery Process