Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

Sept/Oct 14 - 2 week ED itinerary

Old 07-02-2014, 01:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sept/Oct 14 - 2 week ED itinerary

Folks - below is a tentative 2 week itinerary for our ED. Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions/edit or places we should incorporate into our trip.

thanks!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
9/27/2014 Saturday Arrive in Munich
Todo: Oktoberfest; city
Hotel: Sheraton Munich Westpark Hotel

9/28/2014 Sunday Munich
Todo: Dachau Camp (9am - 330pm)
Hotel: Kempinski Hotel Airport, Munich

9/29/2014 Monday Munich, Audi, Innsbruck
Todo: Pickup Audi; Drive to Innsbruck,visit Old Town
Hotel: [Innsbruck]

9/30/2014 Tuesday Innsbruck -> Salzburg
Todo:
Hotel: [Salzburg]

10/1/2014 Wednesday Salzburg
Todo:
Hotel: [Salzburg]

10/2/2014 Thursday Salzburg -> St. Wolfgang
"Drive through Lakes Area, to Hallstatt, visit Ice caves or salt mines, visit Bad Ischl & St. Wolfgang"
Hotel: [St. Wolfgang]

10/3/2014 Friday St. Wolfgang -> Fussen
Todo: Neuschwanstein Castle
Hotel: [Fussen]

10/4/2014 Saturday Fuessen -> Rotheburg
Visit Royal Castles, drive Romantic Road to Rotheburg
Hotel: [Rotheburg]

10/5/2014 Sunday Rothenburg -> Rhine Valley (Rudesheim)
Todo:
Hotel: [Rudesheim]

10/6/2014 Monday Rudensheim -> Lucerne
Todo:
Hotel: [Lucerne]

10/7/2014 Tuesday Lucerne -> Liechteinstein
Todo:
Hotel: [Liechteinstein]

10/8/2014 Wednesday Liechteinstein -> Interlaken & Grindelwald
Todo:
Hotel: [Interlaken & Grindelwald]

10/9/2014 Thursday Interlaken & Grindelwald -> St. Christoph
Visit Jungfraujoch, drive as far as Arlberg Pass
Hotel: [St. Christoph]

10/10/2014 Friday St. Christoph -> Nice
Todo: Drop off car before 5pm
Hotel: Nice

10/11/2014 Saturday Nice -> Monaco -> Nice
Todo:
Hotel: Nice

10/12/2014 Sunday Nice -> Dallas
Old 07-02-2014, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by wiseguy67
Hotel: [Rotheburg]
If that city is "Rothenburg ob der Tauber" then make sure you park outside the city walls. Don't even try to take your new car in there! We had dropped the car in Frankfurt and rented a little Hyundai i3 - maneuvering just to the hotel (and then back out after dropping luggage) was challenging. If I did it again, I'd have just parked outside and humped the luggage in (as we did on the way out).

Pick a hotel near one of the gate entrances and parking areas, not deep in town. Or stay and park outside the city walls!
Old 07-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It looks like a GREAT trip. There is a NICE underground parking garage in Nice that I have used before. Do not try to take your car into the "Old Nice" section of town. Barely room for two cars to pass without bringing mirrors in on both vehicles. Every car I saw parked in "Old Nice" was scratched and dented, so park underground and walk. I'll be on my ED in Sept. in Germany and France. I will be in Fussen also and we will work our way to Normandy and Paris. I will not try to drive in Paris our last 6 days. The car will be turned in.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For Neuschwanstein Castle, instead of staying in Fussen, consider staying in Hohenschwangau. Last year, my wife and I stayed in the Hotel Müller. It is right next to the castle ticket building and has a parking lot. Link to hotel: http://www.hotel-mueller.de/

In Rothenburg, we stayed in Hotel Klosterstüble. It is 330 yards from the town square, so it was quiet. Wasn't too bad driving to the hotel. Contacted hotel about the need for parking and the front desk clerk had saved a spot for us in the side street just outside of the hotel. Hotel also has a good restaurant. Link to the hotel: http://www.klosterstueble.de/

For both hotels, I used http://www.booking.com to make free-cancellation reservations.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great! Very helpful. Thanks.

Adding everything to my notes. Just booked the tix into Munich on miles (UA). However, the return trip from Nice to DFW, just doubled on miles... Will have to wait and watch.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It looks like a great trip! We have been to all of those places. I would only suggest that it is a lot of driving with out much slack time for contingencies or to just relax and sight see. With all of that driving, you may get stuck in a 3 hr stau (traffic jam) more common in August, but it can happen anytime. You will be spending much of your time in driving your new car. An enjoyable experience, but you can do that at home. Given that route, I think I would add 3 or 4 days or maybe lop a few destinations off.

I will be over there just at the end of your trip, picking up the car on Oct 10.

Last edited by gforaker; 07-03-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gforaker
It looks like a great trip! We have been to all of those places. I would only suggest that it is a lot of driving with out much slack time for contingencies or to just relax and sight see. With all of that driving, you may get stuck in a 3 hr stau (traffic jam) more common in August, but it can happen anytime. You will be spending much of your time in driving your new car. An enjoyable experience, but you can do that at home. Given that route, I think I would add 3 or 4 days or maybe lop a few destinations off.

I will be over there just at the end of your trip, picking up the car on Oct 10.
When I plan our ED - I try to not drive more than 4 hrs a day. After all this is vacation. And remember - end of September in Europe - it's few more reins than in summer.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TIME89
When I plan our ED - I try to not drive more than 4 hrs a day. After all this is vacation. And remember - end of September in Europe - it's few more reins than in summer.
We are trying to pack light for our Sept 8th ED. Light means my wife gets 1.5 suit cases and I get .5 suitcase. Do you know what weather and temperatures to expect in Bavaria in early Sept? Also Normandy? Paris? Rain???
Old 07-03-2014, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Love the trip. One thing I noticed, unless there are specific roads you are trying to see, the beginning part of your trip sort of has you going in circles. Wouldn't it make more sense to go in a more directional order instead Ingolstadt -> St. Wolfgang -> Salzburg -> Innsbruck -> Fussen? The google estimates cut almost 2 hours by going this route instead. This way you are more progressing your way through Austria as opposed to going back and forth? We did a guided bus day trip from Munich to Salzburg. It's a nice historic city, but for me a few hours would have been good enough. Hahah.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dalek453
We are trying to pack light for our Sept 8th ED. Light means my wife gets 1.5 suit cases and I get .5 suitcase. Do you know what weather and temperatures to expect in Bavaria in early Sept? Also Normandy? Paris? Rain???
Every year is different - but there should be a plenty sunshine days with 23C + temperature. But don't forget sweaters, jackets and umbrellas.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sept/Oct 14 - 2 week ED itinerary