Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

Tips for Audi European Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hiccup on Delivery

My 2016 Audi A6 ($77,000) was reserved for a June 29 delivery in Neckarsulm. Airfare was purchased for four of us in Lufthansa Business for June 27 to land in Frankfurt. Three days ago I was notified that the A6 had been built on June 2, but there were no delivery slots available in Neckarsulm until mid-July. I could take delivery in Ingolstadt, but I would have to change my flights to go to Munich instead of Frankfurt. My airfare for four of us was $12,000 to Frankfurt. If I changed the destination to Munich, the airfare would be $32,000, a difference of $20,000 and a penalty of $1,800 for a total charge of $21,800. This is unacceptable. Audi is trying to resolve the situation, but Germans are pretty stubborn. Resolution is expected tomorrow. We will see.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Just curious, did you book your flights before they confirmed your delivery date? This is why they tell you to wait with booking your flights until your delivery date is confirmed. Anyway, it's less than 3 hours by car from Frankfurt to Ingolstadt. Just rent a car or take ICE (Germany's bullet train) or book a connecting flight from Frankfurt to Munich. If you do the latter, flights within Germany are pretty cheap and there is no business class on flights within Europe. Well, there is, but it's the same as Economy except they leave the middle seats empty and you get food.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-14-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Just curious, did you book your flights before they confirmed your delivery date? This is why they tell you to wait with booking your flights until your delivery date is confirmed. Anyway, it's less than 3 hours by car from Frankfurt to Ingolstadt. Just rent a car or take ICE (Germany's bullet train) or book a connecting flight from Frankfurt to Munich. If you do the latter, flights within Germany are pretty cheap and there is no business class on flights within Europe. Well, there is, but it's the same as Economy except they leave the middle seats empty and you get food.
I booked the flights after the delivery date was confirmed. They think I should wait until the A6 is built to book flights. The main reason it is necessary to book flights before the A6 is built is the price. If I booked after the car was built, the cost for Business for 4 on Lufthansa from Newark to Munich is $32,000, which is ludicrous. If Audi pays, I will fly from Frankfurt to Munich. If I have to pay, I would rent Europcar for a day for about $150, and drive to Ingolstadt. Audi may pick us up at FRA and drive us to Ingolstadt. Our flight to FRA arrives at 7:45 am, so there be sufficient time to fly or drive to Munich/Ingolstadt. I could also cancel delivery and have it sent to the US, and rent a car for the trip. I should find out today.

Here is the letter I sent to European Delivery:

I did not receive a call from you yesterday as you had promised. At this point I have no idea how we are going to get from Frankfurt to Munich on June 28 with our two grandchildren in tow. My original request in April was for delivery in Neckarsulm and our travel plans have used that location and date. Our travel itinerary is quite extensive, visiting Germany, Netherlands, France, Switzerland, and Italy.

I have filled out the CIF the best I can, not knowing when or how we will get to Munich Airport. This is not turning out to be the experience I have expected from Audi. Perhaps you can either arrange for delivery in Neckarsulm on June 29, or make arrangements to allow us to get to Munich or Ingolstadt on that date. We will need to drive from Frankfurt or Ingolstadt to Königstein on June 29 after delivery for a booked hotel.

I never had these problems with European Delivery from BMW on our previous six BMW purchases with European Delivery (1984, 1991, 1994, 1996, 2006, and 2010).

Here is the reply from Audi:

Your delivery has been confirmed on June 29th at 10am in Ingolstadt. We have also booked two rooms for you at the Hilton Hotel. I will cover both because of the complications with your delivery. Also, unfortunately there are no factory tours available in Ingolstadt either. If you are to be in Neckarsulm or Ingolstadt on another day, I can have my colleague check whether there are availabilities. Please let me know soon.

Also, once you book your flight to Munich, let me know the arrival information as well as the cost and I can get you reimbursed and have a shuttle arranged to pick you up.

Last edited by Fithian; 06-15-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Looks like they are taking care of you. Yes, the final delivery date doesn't get locked in until the car is in production. There can be unforeseen production delays that will push back the delivery date. They are very upfront about that from what I remember and explicitly say not to book flights until the delivery date is locked in. They plan everything based on your requested delivery date, but nothing is locked in until the car is in production. When I did ED for my RS5, my delivery date got confirmed a month before delivery and at that time I booked the flights. I understand that airfares go up, but that's the nature of the beast. You may have to shop around for the best fares. I flew business on British Airways, because of frequent flyer benefits and my flight was paid for, so everybody's situation is different, but if you book the flights before the delivery date is locked in you run the risk of ending up in the situation that you are in now.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-15-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fithian
My 2016 Audi A6 ($77,000) was reserved for a June 29 delivery in Neckarsulm. Airfare was purchased for four of us in Lufthansa Business for June 27 to land in Frankfurt. Three days ago I was notified that the A6 had been built on June 2, but there were no delivery slots available in Neckarsulm until mid-July. I could take delivery in Ingolstadt, but I would have to change my flights to go to Munich instead of Frankfurt. My airfare for four of us was $12,000 to Frankfurt. If I changed the destination to Munich, the airfare would be $32,000, a difference of $20,000 and a penalty of $1,800 for a total charge of $21,800. This is unacceptable. Audi is trying to resolve the situation, but Germans are pretty stubborn. Resolution is expected tomorrow. We will see.
The train ride from Frankfurt to Munich is very nice and fast. Far cheaper than re-booking the air flight. Munich S Bahn trains go constantly up to the airport.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Still no Factory Tour

Audi has offered two rooms for us at the Hilton at Munich Airport and will pay for airfare for four of us from Frankfurt to Munich ($850). They have also offered a $500 Audi Shop card, but no factory tour is yet scheduled. Moreover, it appears that the invoices have not yet arrived from Europe. My flight is 8 days away and I can't yet pay for the A6. Perhaps it will be gratis :-0
Old 06-19-2015, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gentlemens!
Don't get me wrong! At least we have a small activity in this forum but it kind off of topic of current forum - Tips for Audi ED.
We can create another thread just for you - you welcome to share your experience. What do you think?
Old 06-20-2015, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TIME89
Gentlemens!
Don't get me wrong! At least we have a small activity in this forum but it kind off of topic of current forum - Tips for Audi ED.
We can create another thread just for you - you welcome to share your experience. What do you think?
Rather than use this forum, I will keep an up to date blog with audio and video of the delivery as well as the preparation and the ensuing trip with drop off at fithians.com it is active now but needs some updating.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great EU Delivery Experience

Not sure if I'm doing this right, but here is a post I just made on another thread related to S7 EU Delivery.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s7-...ivery-2884264/
Old 12-16-2015, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top 10 Roads

Top 10 Roads
At Ultimate Drives we don’t just organize driving holidays, we make sure that the roads you get to drive on are some of the greatest, anywhere in the world. The map above illustrates some of our favorite roads across Europe, featuring our Top 10 Greatest Driving Roads for 2014 (orange pins), as well as some other amazing roads that didn't quite make the list this year - but still well worth the visit!

For the Top 10 roads, scroll down to view the list, then select your preferred road. For other recommended roads, just click on the pin for more details. Once you get to the detail of the road itself, as well as a review of the road, you will also find some recommendations on places to stay / dine in the surrounding area.

IMPORTANT: During the winter months where passes are closed, sometimes Google Maps can divert around the pass. We try to add a mid point to avoid this, but occasionally even this doesn't work. Therefore, please just keep this in mind when looking at the detailed maps.

Enjoy, and happy driving in 2015/2016!

- See more at: Top 10 Roads : Driving Routes : Greatest Roads in Europe: View now with Ultimate Drives

Quick Reply: Tips for Audi European Delivery