Undecided on European Delivery - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > General Car Discussion > Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

Undecided on European Delivery

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 21
Default Undecided on European Delivery

I am about to order a 2014 A4 because my dealer can't find the specific car I want (6MT and S Line). They are telling me it will take 3 months to custom order a car which got me interested in the European Delivery program. The issue is that I need to target April 14th for pickup since that is the only week that we could travel to Europe. I am concerned about getting that specific date since we would have to fly home on the 17th or 18th so there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room. With four and a half months away I would think that is enough time but I am still concerned about getting the date we need. For those who have done the ED program, how likely am I to get my requested date? Also, my wife isn't completely sold on the idea so I still have some work to do there.
MLWings19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 21
Default

I am also worried about the possibility of damage to the car as well since I will own the car as soon as I take the keys at the factory. I have heard horror stories about cars showing up in the States with damage. I did read that Audi now uses a different shipping company so maybe they will be more reliable.
MLWings19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
 
TIME89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLWings19 View Post
I am also worried about the possibility of damage to the car as well since I will own the car as soon as I take the keys at the factory. I have heard horror stories about cars showing up in the States with damage. I did read that Audi now uses a different shipping company so maybe they will be more reliable.
Your car will be delivered to you in the same condition as you will see this car during delivery day. Many times cars get damaged and fixed in VDC you can 't even see what was damaged. One of the best body shops in the ports. For example - to fixed body of BMW M6 - they will do this in port Hueneme, CA

Make sure you get a sales person who done ED before and understand hole process. A lot of your headache and question will go away immediately.
And remember this - you not doing ED to save money - you doing this for experience.

For April delivery you should start your negotiation now.
__________________
Should get this car before production moved to Mexico!
Q5 2.0 TFSIŽ Premium plus / Moonlight Blue metallic / Chestnut Brown leather / Audi MMIŽ Navigation plus package / Bang & OlufsenŽ Sound System / Sport Interior package

Last edited by TIME89; 11-26-2013 at 07:51 AM.
TIME89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 344
Default

In my opinion, ED is the way to go. If you have the time and you enjoy driving, it's an experience worth making. My wife and I just got back from doing ED on our new 2014 SQ5 in October. Unfortunately the hardest part is the timing and the planning involved. It sounds like you are new to the forum. To give you some background information, I tried doing ED last year with our European Honeymoon. Unfortunately since the Q5 was in the middle of a mini-update to the 2013 model, there were delays in production on this car. Since they could never promise me when the car would start production, we passed on the car and I continued with my planning for our honeymoon without ED. This time around, we ran into some new wrinkles. Production of the 2014 Q5 would have no issues, however the new SQ5 was rolling out for the 2014 model year. We had to make some last minute decisions, but in the end production was not an issue and it all worked out.

For me, I had planned this months before I had placed my order for our car. I purchased my airfare in March and didn't place my order until June. I had always told them I wanted Friday October 4th to be my delivery date. I was always told no problem on the date. We all knew Thursday October 3rd was a national holiday, however nobody brought up any issues or concerns with my October 4th delivery date. I was also told by placing my order 3-4 months in advance, that would be plenty of time to lock in my date. Of course they gave me the company line that the delivery date could not be guaranteed this far in advance, however they told me it should not be a problem.

However after I placed my order, within one week I was told October 4th was already full booked. In addition to that, the factory was closed on October 4th, so no factory tours would be made on this date. I was a little pissed that I was never informed about the closure of the Factory on 10/4. That would have been helpful to have known that from the start. I was in constant contact with a my local dealership and a representative from Audi of America. They couldn't change the fact that the factory was going to be closed on October 4th, however they were willing to fit me in on that delivery date if that is what we wanted. In the end, we wanted to go through the factory tour, so we decided on Monday October 7th instead. I had already booked my airfare by that point, however I was fortunately able to shift my plans around a little to accommodate the change in delivery date.

If you are locked in on exactly what you want and when you want it, then it should be much easier for you. They tell you not to book any flights or make any reservations until they give you the OK, which is less than 60 days from your delivery date, however I couldn't follow that timeline since I was planning a trip for 6 people and the cost of airfare nearly doubled if I would have followed their timeline. Just make sure your date doesn't hit a holiday. Both the ED program and AoA were very helpful and understanding throughout the process. So if you are in contact with them, they should be able to make it all work out. Let me know if you have more questions or need more details. Like I said, the planning part of it can be stressful, but otherwise I have no regrets.
alatsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLWings19 View Post
I am also worried about the possibility of damage to the car as well since I will own the car as soon as I take the keys at the factory. I have heard horror stories about cars showing up in the States with damage. I did read that Audi now uses a different shipping company so maybe they will be more reliable.
As TIME89 said, this isn't something to worry about. This is no different than you ordering a custom brand new car. At some point, it would be transported and go through this same process. ED is basically cutting out the middle man who delivers your car from the factory to the port. From your point of view, everything would be the same. When you hand it off at the port, take all the pics you want to prove that your car was in perfect condition when you handed it off. So if anything occurs within that process, then Audi should take care of it. Now whether the transporters or Audi are responsible for those costs, that shouldn't concern you.
alatsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Q5forWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLWings19 View Post
The issue is that I need to target April 14th for pickup since that is the only week that we could travel to Europe.
I think the April date is feasible, but as others have mentioned, you need to order real soon.

My wife and I ordered her Q5 on Feb. 10 and was able to select June 25 as the ED date.

If you live in the SF Bay Area, I can recommend a great Audi sales person that specializes in ED.
__________________
2013 Q5 2.0T Premium Plus (Euro Delivery) / Monsoon Gray / Chestnut Brown Sport Interior / Natural Ash Inlay / Pano Roof / MMI Navi Plus / B&O Sound
Q5forWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatsacto View Post
As TIME89 said, this isn't something to worry about. This is no different than you ordering a custom brand new car. At some point, it would be transported and go through this same process. ED is basically cutting out the middle man who delivers your car from the factory to the port. From your point of view, everything would be the same. When you hand it off at the port, take all the pics you want to prove that your car was in perfect condition when you handed it off. So if anything occurs within that process, then Audi should take care of it. Now whether the transporters or Audi are responsible for those costs, that shouldn't concern you.
It was my understanding that the Audi EDP insurance is 1000 euro deductible so it may not in fact look like it did at delivery. Has something changed? (BMW's EDP is in fact zero deductible I believe.)
EurocarAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Q5forWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EurocarAdventure View Post
It was my understanding that the Audi EDP insurance is 1000 euro deductible so it may not in fact look like it did at delivery. Has something changed? (BMW's EDP is in fact zero deductible I believe.)
My understanding is that the 1000 euro insurance deductible is for damages incurred while driving in Europe. Any damage to the car while in route from Europe to the US should be covered by insurance from Audi or shipping company.
__________________
2013 Q5 2.0T Premium Plus (Euro Delivery) / Monsoon Gray / Chestnut Brown Sport Interior / Natural Ash Inlay / Pano Roof / MMI Navi Plus / B&O Sound
Q5forWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EurocarAdventure View Post
It was my understanding that the Audi EDP insurance is 1000 euro deductible so it may not in fact look like it did at delivery. Has something changed? (BMW's EDP is in fact zero deductible I believe.)
That's correct if the damage was incurred under your watch. But if you dropped off the car in perfect condition and have the sign off from the port delivery company on the condition of the car before drop off, then I would like to think anything that happens to the car after that point would no longer be your responsibility.

I know it was a dumb question, but I asked Audi, once I drop off my car and it's signed off, what if customs finds drugs on my car? I wouldn't be held responsible for what someone else may have done to my car at that point, right? He confirmed this fact. So if the car is dropped into the bottom of the ocean, I'm pretty sure either the delivery company or whoever was responsible for it would incur whatever cost associated with fixing or replacing my car to give me the car back in the same condition I dropped it off.
alatsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatsacto View Post
That's correct if the damage was incurred under your watch. But if you dropped off the car in perfect condition and have the sign off from the port delivery company on the condition of the car before drop off, then I would like to think anything that happens to the car after that point would no longer be your responsibility.

Agreed.I was really responding to the comment that "Your car will be delivered to you in the same condition as you will see this car during delivery day." With a 100euro deductible that may or may not be true depending on whether you incur damage.

I know it was a dumb question, but I asked Audi, once I drop off my car and it's signed off, what if customs finds drugs on my car? I wouldn't be held responsible for what someone else may have done to my car at that point, right? He confirmed this fact. So if the car is dropped into the bottom of the ocean, I'm pretty sure either the delivery company or whoever was responsible for it would incur whatever cost associated with fixing or replacing my car to give me the car back in the same condition I dropped it off.
Based on my experience with 3 EDs this is correct. Between drop off and redelivery it is the carriers responsibility. Just be sure to document dropoff condition.
EurocarAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EurocarAdventure View Post
Based on my experience with 3 EDs this is correct. Between drop off and redelivery it is the carriers responsibility. Just be sure to document dropoff condition.
OOPs 1000 euro deductible
EurocarAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
AudiWorld Super User
 
TIME89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EurocarAdventure View Post
OOPs 1000 euro deductible
Audi ED Program is slowest then BMW, MBZ and Volvo and now with this 1000 EUR more than few driver will look at other cars brands.
In addition, moving production of Q5 from Germany to Mexico - that mean Q5 will be drop off from List of cars qualified for ED soon.
__________________
Should get this car before production moved to Mexico!
Q5 2.0 TFSIŽ Premium plus / Moonlight Blue metallic / Chestnut Brown leather / Audi MMIŽ Navigation plus package / Bang & OlufsenŽ Sound System / Sport Interior package
TIME89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME89 View Post
Audi ED Program is slowest then BMW, MBZ and Volvo and now with this 1000 EUR more than few driver will look at other cars brands.
In addition, moving production of Q5 from Germany to Mexico - that mean Q5 will be drop off from List of cars qualified for ED soon.
Possibly true but BMW makes X3, X5, and X6 in S. Carolina so they are not available for ED either. MB makes GL, M, and R class SUVs in Alabama.

ED for most people is not the reason to buy 1 brand over another since you will be driving whatever you get for a while. Buy what you want to own and if ED is a good deal go for it.
EurocarAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
AudiWorld Super User
 
TIME89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EurocarAdventure View Post
Possibly true but BMW makes X3, X5, and X6 in S. Carolina so they are not available for ED either. MB makes GL, M, and R class SUVs in Alabama.

ED for most people is not the reason to buy 1 brand over another since you will be driving whatever you get for a while. Buy what you want to own and if ED is a good deal go for it.
Yes, but with X1, X3 and X5 you can do Performance Center Delivery!
Hypothetically speaking:
Person Joe D. decided get Audi A4 by European Delivery Program.
Joe went to his local Audi Dealership where SA told him, that he can get better deal to get car straight from a lot. Joe insist on ED - SA has no idea what this mean (95% of the case). Joe search and find you AudiWorld ED forum. Let's say Joe is a very smart guy who start read this forum from WIKI and FAQ section. He find out that not only his local SA has no idea - no one have good idea about AUDI ED pricing, plus issue with $1000 deposit.
During his search Joe find out about Bimmerfest ED forum and all this info available to him, including ED price, more than few sponsors, who offer "special deal" for forum members. Then he test drive both 328i and A4 - his mind will be set in 1 min witch car he will pick up in Germany.
P.S. What I trying to say - with out proper help and support from AUDI ED department, and local Audi dealership Audi ED program will be always behind BMW, MBZ and Volvo.

I do not use 335i and S4 in this example.
__________________
Should get this car before production moved to Mexico!
Q5 2.0 TFSIŽ Premium plus / Moonlight Blue metallic / Chestnut Brown leather / Audi MMIŽ Navigation plus package / Bang & OlufsenŽ Sound System / Sport Interior package

Last edited by TIME89; 11-27-2013 at 12:54 PM.
TIME89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #15
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME89 View Post
Then he test drive both 328i and A4 - his mind will be set in 1 min witch car he will pick up in Germany.
Joe would probably lean toward the A4 since there is almost a $10k price difference. Like a few others have said, don't buy the car for the delivery program. It is just a nice option to have.

I am going to send my offer over to the dealer and see if they bite. I am a little concerned that they aren't that familiar with the ED program but I think it will be okay.
MLWings19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
AudiWorld Super User
 
TIME89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLWings19 View Post
Joe would probably lean toward the A4 since there is almost a $10k price difference. Like a few others have said, don't buy the car for the delivery program. It is just a nice option to have.

I am going to send my offer over to the dealer and see if they bite. I am a little concerned that they aren't that familiar with the ED program but I think it will be okay.
Good luck! We will help you with any ED question
__________________
Should get this car before production moved to Mexico!
Q5 2.0 TFSIŽ Premium plus / Moonlight Blue metallic / Chestnut Brown leather / Audi MMIŽ Navigation plus package / Bang & OlufsenŽ Sound System / Sport Interior package
TIME89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #17
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 21
Default

I just got back from the dealer. Check out the new thread I started. Fingers crossed.

My A4 European Delivery Experience
MLWings19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #18
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Does anyone know if there is a way to avoid having audi drill holes in the front grill for states that don't require a license plate upfront??

I just ordered an S5 and the dealer told me it is a must, based on german laws. I would like to see some temporary install solution instead. Don't want to ruin a brand new grill if I don't have to.
robjedi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 21
Default

I have seen a few posts that people have been pulled over in Europe for not having a front license plate. Mainly in Germany and France. I have done some research and it seems that there are a bunch of options to affix the license plate to the front of the car without drilling. There is even a show n go mechanical option on Amazon. Unfortunately, Maryland requires a front plate. Once I get my A4 I will probably end up looking for an option to relocate the front plate.
MLWings19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 77
Default

I believe there is no choice but to have the plate put on in Germany. This probably sounds like a waste of money, but you could order the car WITH the front plate mount, to which the factory will affix the plate. Then you could separately order the front trim piece without the plate mount, about $90 if I recall, and swap them when the car is delivered. You would then have the plate mount if you ever moved to a state that required it, or you could sell it on Ebay. This is what I did even though I live in a state that requires a front plate.
spacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:44 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community