Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

1995 UrS6 Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 07:21 PM
TJT
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 UrS6 Starting Issues

I am currently having issues with my S6 and I cannot figure out what is going on. I feel like I have tried everything, but I know there is something I have to be overlooking. What I know thus far:

-Replaced ignition

-No power to fuel pump fuse

-Fuel pump relay is okay, fuel pump is okay

-No ignition spark

-When key is in on position check engine light does not illuminate (supposed to)

-Checked the ECU to make sure there's no moisture in there and that checked out okay.

Any thoughts on what else could be preventing my baby from roaring back to life? Thanks in advance!

-Trace
Old 12-13-2014, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

So it's turning over but won't fire up...

Is the battery strong? ..it has to turn over at a certain rpm for fuel to trigger. A weak battery might come up short. Here's a link quattroworld.com Forums: Potential solutions to why your AAN-powered UrS isn't starting with more trouble shooting.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not sure how you test if it's working or if it cuts your fuel power but look into the crank position sensor near the bottom of your block. If that's not working car won't start. There are two identical plugs with two slightly different part numbers. I swapped them with a working one to check for my function.

I looked into it when no was having issues but doing coil pack swap fixed everything for me. I didn't have the issues you are having. Good luck, very frustrating stuff.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:31 PM
TJT
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GoHeels
So it's turning over but won't fire up...

Is the battery strong? ..it has to turn over at a certain rpm for fuel to trigger. A weak battery might come up short. Here's a link quattroworld.com Forums: Potential solutions to why your AAN-powered UrS isn't starting with more trouble shooting.
Battery is working fine, but that is a good link, I'll look into it and check the battery again also!
Old 12-16-2014, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TJT
I am currently having issues with my S6 and I cannot figure out what is going on. -When key is in on position check engine light does not illuminate (supposed to)
If the yellow CEL does not come on when you turn the ignition key to ON/RUN, then you either have a bulb burnt out in the CEL position *OR* you don't have power to the ECU because the ECU fuse is burned out *OR* you have ignition switch problems.

Ignition switch replacement DIY: http://12v.org/urs/IgnitionSwitchReplacementDIY.pdf

The ECU is in the passenger footwell. Find it and check the fuse in the red holder.

Do those and then come back with the results.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:47 PM
TJT
Audiworld Junior Member

Dave, I was just looking in the kick panel and initially couldn't find the fuse you were referring to. I looked closer at the diagram and realized it was right next to the ecu, not in the kick panel. I replaced the fuse and it started right up. Thank you so much for that!

Now the issue is the idle and the performance. It is idling very rough and there is hesitation in the acceleration. Do you think it is probably more of a POS issue or coil packs?
Old 12-26-2014, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You very likely have a coil power wire that is losing or has lost some of its insulation and when it grounds out, it is blowing the coil fuse. OR it is an internal coil fault, leading to poor spark conditions, rough running, missing etc. Remove the coil pack (the four bolts holding the "20V turbo" cover down and examine the coil wires, the rubber boots from the coil to the plugs and check the plugs for tightness (22 lb-ft torque, tighten only, don't back off first, just tighten).
Old 12-26-2014, 11:25 PM
TJT
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, will do. I'll let you know the result.