Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

1997 URS4 (Canadian) ? need info please

Old 01-12-2017, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 URS4 (Canadian) ? need info please

Hi everyone,

I am looking at purchasing a 1997 URS4. I am trying to get info before looking at it. I am having a hell of a time using google or even this board here. Is there another name for this vehicle that I should be looking up? I just want to see some pics that I know are the real deal. I am a Toyota guy and my son just wrote off my 4runner in a snow storm. He is fine. This vehicle was supposed to be a winter beater. After everything I have read I am worried I will get the bug and this will become much more. Body has about 180,000 miles and engine 100,000 and the engine was completely rebuilt this summer. I was told that it now has the Porsche turbo, it has been chipped and lowered. The guy that has owned it for over 10 years is also a mechanic, so I will know exactly what has been done to it. Any assistance is appreciated. I just need to know where to look. Sorry. I know noobes are a PITA

Ryan
Old 01-12-2017, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

1997 would be a Canadian URS6 or S6. Nearly the same car as the 1992-1994 S4.

Many added RS2 components like the exhaust manifold and turbo etc along with a chip.

Last edited by GoHeels; 01-12-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thankyou, It is a good start. Just trying to learn more about the type of engine, etc. Looks like a new project heading my way.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll try and find a few links to add for reference -

UrS4.com The Basics

buyers guide | S-CARS.ORG

Here's an old review -

Full Text :
COPYRIGHT Petersen Publishing Company 1992
Calling all closet Mario Andrettis: your ruse is ready. Slide behind the wheel of Audi's new S4, and our neighbors will mistakenly believe you've settled down.
At last, they'll mumble, you're driving a mature automobile that radiates propriety. It's true the S4 is discreet and, except for the Ben-Hur wheels, utterly unadorned. There's a door for every member of the family. The exhaust purrs with Barry Manilow sweetness.
And there's absolutely no imperative to explain the subtleties of this limited-edition model. That the small S4 badge in the grille signifies this car is a refugee from Audi's sports department. That the turbocharged and intercooled engine under the hood cranks out 230 horsepower. That the suspension calibrations are unique to this machine and aimed at unraveling asphalt laid down by construction crews paid by the curve.
We enjoyed an early taste of the S4 on a recent visit to northern Bavaria, where Audi provided U.S. journalists the opportunity to drive this successor to the '84 Sport Quattro. In Germany, we learned that the '92 S4 is not only a potent road weapon, but also one aimed squarely at the heart of Infiniti's fearsome Q45 flagship sedan.
The conventional approach to building an expensive sport sedan is with a sophisticated V-8 engine displacing four to five liters, an automatic transmission, and rear-wheel drive. True to form, Audi went another way. The S4 has a small five-cylinder engine, Getrag five-speed manual gearbox, and full-time all-wheel drive. If you'd prefer some variation on this theme, you're not Audi material.
Pumping up a small engine to world-class levels of output is easy if you've got a racing department in the back wing as Audi does. You bolt on the twin-cam 20-valve head, crank down the boost screw, and fiddle with the engine-management electronics. And if that doesn't do the trick, you pile on more advanced technology. The S4 has a distributor-less ignition with one coil per cylinder, free-flow exhaust system with twin catalysts, and a turbo-control strategy that allows up to 15 seconds of overboost as your toes start to flatten the carpet under the gas pedal.
On the road, Audi's approach works impressively well. There's plenty of power to wind the speedometer needle past the 260-kph (162 mph) mark on the autobahn (even though Audi rates the S4's top speed at "only" 152 mph). Boost lag is delightfully inconspicuous. And the five-cylinder power pack comports itself gracefully in all but two instances: There's an undercurrent of engine vibration - particularly through the shift **** and pedals - and the little engine that occasionally can stumble flat on its face when you ask it to move the car off the mark with a too-modest throttle opening.
The Quattro driveline is, in effect, the ultimate form of traction control. A Torsen center differential makes sure there's power delivery to both axles at all times. The rear axle's diff can be locked at the touch of a console button for snow-bank extraction. (Unlocking is automatic at 15 mph). Getting stuck or even spinning a wheel in this machine takes diligence.
The all-wheel drive is there if you need it, but otherwise is unobtrusive. That's the way it should be. The nicely outfitted cockpit is in the same vein. There's a warm welcome upon entry, then the furniture fades into the background as you concentrate on driving. Canadian elm paneling, leather upholstery, and an airbag for the driver are standard.
One of the more noteworthy interior design details is a break from the usual white-on-black instrumentation. The S4 uses black markings (by day, changing to red at night) and bright orange needles on a flat-gray background. Two large dials and five secondary gauges contrast smartly with the somber tones used throughout the rest of the interior. And in the '93 model year, Audi will add another unusual touch: In place of the wood paneling, the S4 interior will be fitted with decorative strips of carbon fiber cloth encased beneath clear varnish.
Audi engineers were eager for our comments after a one-day tour of the German countryside north of Audi's home base in Ingolstadt. First, we showered them with praise for aiming a car our way with a fine blend of refined manners, athletic grace, and hard-muscled performance. Then we complained of a minor miscue on their part.
In response to customer feedback that Audi steering effort is, to some, annoyingly heavy, the Ingolstadt engineers reprogrammed their speed-sensitive rack-and-pinion power steering system. As a result, the Audi S4 feels excessively light to the touch at high speeds. When it arrives in the U.S. this spring, you can be sure we'll check our papers with a full road test to see if that character flaw crosses the Atlantic. !!!BEGIN TABLE TECH DATA AUDI S4
GENERAL/POWERTRAIN
Body style 4 door, 5-passenger
Vehicle configuration Front engine
all -wheel drive
Engine configuration Inline, 5, DOHC,
4 valves/cylinder, turbocharged/intercooled
Engine displacement, ci/cc 136/2226
Horsepower,
hp @ rpm, SAE net 230 @ 5900
Torque,
Ib-ft @ rpm, SAE net 258 @ 1950
Transmission 5-speed man.
Axle ratio 4.11:1
DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase, in./mm 106.0/2692
Length, in./mm 188.6/4790
Curb weight, lb 3550
Fuel capacity, gal 21.1
CHASSIS
Suspension, f/r Independent/independent
Steering Recirculating ball, power assist
Brakes, f/r Vented discs/vented discs, ABS
Wheels 16 x 6.0
Tires 225/50ZR16
Continental Contact
PRICE
Base price $ 43,750
Price as tested $ 43,750!!!END TABLE
Source Citation
Sherman, Don. "Audi S4." Motor Trend Apr. 1992: 60+. General Reference Center. Web. 18 Nov. 2009. <http://find.galegroup.com.ezproxy.ccpl.org:2048/gtx/start.do?prodId=GRCM&userGroupName=chascol>.
Gale Document Number:A12025633

Last edited by GoHeels; 01-12-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That was perfect. I found another page that gave me the interval for maintenance. Thanks again.