Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Aftermarket headlight switch issues.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket headlight switch issues.

Installed new headlight switch that I bought from an "one online parts supplier" it was a valeo unit. Not a true em. Turn signal is sticking. I had to really push up to get it to move. I worked it loose and got it to the point where the signal turns off after making a left turn but will not do the same with a right turn.

Is this normal or have I made a slight mechanical error that is causing this to occur. What causes the turn signal to switch off it signal when the wheel is straightened?
Old 12-31-2014, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sciroccosven
Is this normal or have I made a slight mechanical error that is causing this to occur. What causes the turn signal to switch off it signal when the wheel is straightened?
Not normal. The clockspring attached to the steering wheel has a tab that physically trips the signal light to turn back to neutral from its "ON" position. After you installed the new switch, you could have investigated this cancellation mechanism with a screw driver standing in for the cancellation tab. Might need some spray lube seeing that is all new and such.

This sketch shows these tabs:

Old 12-31-2014, 04:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds good. I'll pull everything and check. It's just right turn signal that is sticking. The arm itself was almost frozen on left turn when I installed. Not pleased it was not an an oem unit but oh well.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just a quick update. Drove s6 a week ago, roads were clean and salt was off the road from non freezing rain. Winter tires are on jetta so it will be parked for the winter to avoid rust inhibiting nastiness.

My turn signals seemed to be working fine. If anyone finds this in a search, if you can find true oem get it (unless it's brutally expensive). The initial quality was disappointing. You could tell the molds were not cleaned up prior to assembly just from the feel. It's normal now though since its been broken in.