Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

BIRA Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIRA Brakes

Hi,

First time here. I have a 1995 S6 with Porsche 4 piston red calipers on it.
I just finished replacing the rotors and pads. When I took the rotor off I noticed that the aluminum bracket that the caliper is mounted on is very, very corroded. Does anyone know where to go to get a replacement made maybe out of stainless steel. No electrolysis with Stainless.

Thanks,
Gary J
Old 06-29-2016, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary J
Hi, First time here. I have a 1995 S6 with Porsche 4 piston red calipers on it.
I just finished replacing the rotors and pads. When I took the rotor off I noticed that the aluminum bracket that the caliper is mounted on is very, very corroded. Does anyone know where to go to get a replacement made maybe out of stainless steel. No electrolysis with Stainless. Thanks, Gary J
The BIRA organization is dead and gone. If you want brackets for what sounds like Boxster S calipers, you will need to go to Apikol who sells steel ones for this application:

Apikol UrS4/S6 Boxster S Brake Brackets

* Use with OEM Audi A8 323 x 30mm brake rotors (P/N: 4D0 615 301J).

* Use with Porsche Boxster S Calipers (or equivalent) brake caliper: P/N: 996-351-425-11 and 996-351-426-11

Old 07-05-2016, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default BIRA Brakes

I Looked up those brakes and they are not what I have.
They look like this.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I Looked up those brakes and they are not what I have.
They look like this.
That looks like a "Big Red" Porsche/Brembo caliper (can't really tell from that photo) because of the spring bails that are holding the pads in the caliper. In that case, the bracket that works is the "RS2" front brake bracket which is available as an OE forged steel bracket (out of Europe) or as machined steel bracket from Apikol (with some pre-emptive corrective machining to correct a 1 mm issue). The rotors used with that set up are D2 A8/S8 323 x 30 5x112 front rotors.

Apikol UrS4/S6 993TT & 928GTS Brake Brackets

Old 07-07-2016, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default BIRA Brakes

Hi UrS4boy,

Thanks for the help.

You mentioned that the machined steel bracket from Apikol (with some pre-emptive corrective machining to correct a 1 mm issue) would work.

Can you please explain where you need to remove the 1mm?

Thanks again,
Gary J
Old 07-07-2016, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hi UrS4boy, Thanks for the help. You mentioned that the machined steel bracket from Apikol (with some pre-emptive corrective machining to correct a 1 mm issue) would work.
Can you please explain where you need to remove the 1mm? Thanks again, Gary J
Sorry I wasn't clear. The OE Audi RS2 brackets (not designed for the C4 chassis) work but they leave the caliper off-center by 1 mm. No biggy in the real world. Apikol originally did an exact clone RS2 bracket in machined steel. However, when they realized that some people were machining 1 mm away on the RS2 brackets to center the caliper over the rotor properly, they redesigned their bracket and made one that centered the caliper on the rotor right out of the box. That is the one that I linked you to and, if you can post up some PNs on the Porsche calipers to confirm what they are, then that is likely bracket that you need.

Click on this link (and book mark it when it is up), then click on the Front Brake label to find out more about C4 UrS Front Brake options:

http://members.shaw.ca/ajmills/UrS%20chassis%20Map.html