Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

C4 100/UrS4 A6/UrS6 Interior B-Pillar Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default C4 100/UrS4 A6/UrS6 Interior B-Pillar Removal

Never had the need to remove the interior B-pillar covers before but because I am moving (slowly) towards redoing my avant headliner, I took advantage of the 94 100 at the local Pick-n-pull to figure it out so I don't Fk up the avant.

At first I thought it was all clips but when I only got so far pulling, I knew that there were screws involved. Turns out there are two holding the lower part to the B-pillar and two more holding the upper part to the pillar. And rather that working from the top down, you have to work from the bottom up. On that basis, I thought that I would write this procedure up, both to share the knowledge but also to archive it for when I actually need it.

With reference to the diagram below:

First thing I did was remove the bottom interior sill cover, item 8. To do this, you need to use a wide putty knife to remove the Item 9 and 10 covers. This exposes a series of 5 or 6 Phillips head screws that hold Item 8 to the body. Remove those screws and then wiggle Item 8 out and lay it down in a safe location.

This will expose two Phillips head screws at the bottom of Item 24, the lower cover. Remove them and wiggle Item 24 down and off. This exposes two Phillips screws at the bottom of Item 20, the upper cover. Remove those two screws and pull Item 20 down. There is a large plastic hook at the top of Item 20 that keeps it attached to the body. Just pull down and away.

At that point, Item 20 is still attached to the body via the shoulder belt portion of the seat belt that passes through the adjustable height portion of the cover, i.e. Item 21. To fully remove Item 20, you need to remove the 17 mm bolt that holds the bottom of the seat belt to the body. With that free, pull the seat belt through the slot in Item 20/21 and remove the trim from the car.

Installation is the reverse of removal, provided you remembered to save the hardware somewhere safe and you can actually remember where that is when the time comes. ;>)