Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Grateful to URS4boy

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grateful to URS4boy

I just want to take this opportunity to thank URS4boy for his excellent posts and his hard work in making information available to beginners like me. Whatever small amount of knowledge that I have acquired about my 95.5 S6 is due in it's entirety to the kindness, precise technical posts and willingness to share that Mr. URS4boy has exhibited. The Bentley manual remains an enigma and I have found no friends close-by that share my passion for the older cars. It has been mainly through URS4boy's posts that I have been able to keep my car alive and avoid huge hassles on the road.

Mr. Boy's post on "What will fail on the AAN engine..." is invaluable. So far I have stocked my spares kit and avoided some costly and ill timed breakdowns because his post was so informative and well presented.

While imagining his generous spirit hovering somewhere overhead I have:
Replaced the fuel pump (kinda scary)
Replaced the plastic adaptors in the cooling system with metal parts
Flushed the coolant
Replaced the coil packs
Etc.

My latest adventure took place after I drove the car from Tahoe to Bozeman, Montana. After driving all over the state of Montana I found myself rushing to get my LA girlfriend to the airport in Bozeman on time, (high heels in Montana?). The low coolant warning light and buzzer went off again at the airport and I figured that I needed to top off the overflow tank. As I finally pulled the rig into my garage up Bridger Canyon the afterrun pump plastic housing split and dumped all of the new coolant, gurgling and steaming, onto the garage floor.

Because I had paid attention to Mr. Boy's entreaty to carry spares, and which ones to carry, I had a new afterrun pump onboard in my parts kit. I may have been able to achieve a road side repair in the middle of the Nevada desert, or out on the high plains of central Montana, but it sure was easier to do it in my garage! I decided then and there to pen this overdue message of gratitude to this mentor.

So Thank you very, very much, Mr. URS4boy. I just want you to know how much one adherent appreciates the hard work and attention to detail that you have consistently shared with us through your posts on this Forum.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're welcome. Nice to know that my posts find some use some times by somebody.

My main raison d'etre is to provide useful information that you can use to keep these 20 year old very well designed and built C4 Audi UrS4s and Urs6S running in a meaningful way and thereby enhance the Audi brand image. (Don't worry, I don't work for Audi, I just like them).

BTW, although I might not post here everyday anymore, I do check the forum everyday to see if somebody needs to be pointed in the right direction.

Last edited by UrS4boy; 06-28-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Dave was principle source that let me do a full engine rebuild

While I had done various automotive tasks before (brakes, suspension, head gasket - on a 4 cylinder '77 Honda Accord), it was mainly his documents and posting replies on another forum that really helped me. There were others who were also very helpful along the way, but Dave provided the most information and support, by far.

I probably don't thank him enough!

Ed
Old 06-29-2015, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Ed. Always here (or *there*) to help (or at least try to).
Old 06-30-2015, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

sidcro: Check your Private Messages (PM) - upper right corner of the this forum page
Old 07-03-2015, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Helped me do all sorts of stuff to my Audi -- heater core, CPS, fuel pump, ignition, and more.

Also taught me how to do much of my own maintenance, and save a lot of $ in the process.

Ps - just stopped by a german indy shop I had never been to here in Charlotte, to meet and get to know them a bit, and they had just gotten a sweet right-hand drive sport Quattro in. Was white on black and appeared to be in really good shape. Said there was 1 other in town they know of.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GoHeels
Helped me do all sorts of stuff to my Audi..... and they had just gotten a sweet right-hand drive sport Quattro in. Was white on black and appeared to be in really good shape. Said there was 1 other in town they know of.
1. You're welcome. I always try to anticipate the problems and have a DIY done and ready.

2. If there are 2 in the area, then at least one of them is fake. The factory made exactly ZERO RHD Sport Quattros. *ALL* LHD. Probably a Dialynx rhd quattro conversion. You can tell by the angle of the windshield. Real Sport Quattros used the "A" pillars and doors of the B2 Audi 80 two-door sedan. See photos below

Real:

Fake:

Real Sport Quattros have this style VIN plate, with VINs EA 905nnn (this one is 905125 which, according the list below, was factory red and delivered to Germany):

Last edited by UrS4boy; 07-04-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Don't know my old Audi models well enough then. It was a RHD 2-door quattro of some sort, rally style. I assumed "sport" but that may be wrong. It had a flat black Audi key on the seat, and the shifter looked nearly the same as an UrS6 shifter and boot. I'll try and get a photo if its still there when I get back over there. I was in a rush with my gf waiting in the car. If they call me Monday with info I asked about I'll ask them.

They said this Audi belonged to a major customer of theirs, that had 3 cars in the shop currently. One of which was a silver S4 avant getting an RS4 engine etc put into it. It was on a lift with the new engine on the ground below it.

eta - think the wheels were the same as the red Audi above

Last edited by GoHeels; 07-05-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just spoke to a different guy on the phone for a second so I asked him. He might not know much, but said it's an '88 that was imported from Europe, and that's why its RHD.

So my guess is it must be a conversion of some sort. If I get over there and its still there I'll snap a photo or 2.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GoHeels
Just spoke to a different guy on the phone for a second so I asked him. He might not know much, but said it's an '88 that was imported from Europe, and that's why its RHD. So my guess is it must be a conversion of some sort. If I get over there and its still there I'll snap a photo or 2.
1. If it is a 1988, it very likely started life as an UrQuattro, not a Sport Quattro. Only EA 905175 was built outside the 1984-85 window and it was white.

2. If it is a RHD, it started life as an UrQuattro, most likely originally for the British market.

Photos and details would confirm these "guesses".