Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Brake Bomb R&R procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Bomb R&R procedure?

Hey, all. I need to replace my brake pressure accumulator. Fluid levels are fine, brake light has been on for a while now, and I just started to feel the pedal pulsing, so its time to stop putting it off.

I did a search of the site and a google looking for the replacement procedure and didn't find anything. Can one of you guys post a link to the procedure?

Oh, also-- any preferences as to where to buy the replacement or what brand to get?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2014, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake Pressure Accumulator ( Bomb ) Replacement Hints

Here are a couple of hints:

From Nate P. (ImQuattro): "The pressure MUST be relieved first or you'll get a monster p/s fluid bath -pressure washer style.
Pump the brake pedal a bazzilion time (make sure you count! j/k) till the pedal is hard then you should be close to good-to-go. "

From Fred M.:

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/hydraulic.html

From Al P:

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/bombrepl.html

From me:

Old 02-09-2014, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

All finished, many thanks!

Related question: The red "brake" warning light is still on even though performance is back to what I expect.

I've checked the easy stuff, fluid levels are fine. I read on the SJM site that one cause of this is the "servo" preventing the bomb from charging properly.

Anyone have good info on what this servo is and where I can find it and test it?
Old 03-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rdeis
Anyone have good info on what this servo is and where I can find it and test it?
Studying the diagrams and surfing some more, and I see the servo now. It goes between the pedal and the master cylinder. I'm feeling pulsing in the pedal now, too, which I don't understand given that the bomb is new...

Anyhow:

Test procedure for the servo is to see if any fluid is flowing through the return line when the car is idling. If there is, then something it wrong inside the unit.

Fluid should only flow here when the brake pedal is released.

You can either disconnect the return line from the top of the servo, (which makes a mess and spills a lot of pentosin) or you can watch the other end of the line somehow.