Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

"Mysteries" of the C4 CEL/ Air Bag/Seat Belt warning light panel

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default "Mysteries" of the C4 CEL/ Air Bag/Seat Belt warning light panel

As far as I can tell, both European (Rest of World (RoW)) and North American UrS cars all got the same 6 position warning light panel above the three gauge cluster on the right side of the instrument cluster (the one with the clock, oil temp and oil pressure (or volts in an UrS6)).

LHD:

RHD:

The NAmerican UrSs only had three of the six positions active, i.e. the Check Engine Light (CEL)(or Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)), the Air Bag light and the Seat Belt warning light. But as this photo shows, there were three other potentially active lights:

The meanings of these three extra lights, two green ones and one yellow one, are shown below (note: they don't say anything about the check engine light - which I think the RoW cars did NOT get):

Reference:

-the English Language RoW UrS6 Owners' Instruction Manual:

Betriebsanleitung
Audi S6
Englisch 7.94
951.561.4A4.20

More C4 UrS Instrument Cluster info at:

C4 UrS Instrument Cluster 101
Old 09-29-2013, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny how I was sitting in my car a couple weeks ago wondering what the other lights were for, then I said I'd rather not find out because it'll probably be expensive. You wouldn't happen to know anything about the indicator lights just above the outside temperature display would you? Thankfully all I can see is the BRAKE light when the hand brake is applied but I was always curious what the other ones are for.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jan_PL_S6
Funny how I was sitting in my car a couple weeks ago wondering what the other lights were for, then I said I'd rather not find out because it'll probably be expensive. You wouldn't happen to know anything about the indicator lights just above the outside temperature display would you? Thankfully all I can see is the BRAKE light when the hand brake is applied but I was always curious what the other ones are for.
Yes I do but its past midnight here (Vancouver BC) and I am *trying* to get off these Audi forums and get some sleep. I'll post something tomorrow (later today to be more correct).
Old 09-30-2013, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm guessing you're referring to the trip computer stuff that only works on the '92 models.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

... You wouldn't happen to know anything about the indicator lights just above the outside temperature display would you? Thankfully all I can see is the BRAKE light when the hand brake is applied but I was always curious what the other ones are for.
I think you mean these (below) (NAmerican on top, European on the bottom):

The "battery" is the alternator light - comes on when the ignition is switched on but should go off once the engine is started. If it doesn't or it comes on while driving you have a battery or alternator problem that needs addressing. Breaking a serpentine belt would be one reason (but you'd also lose the power steering and brakes as well).

The loopy squiggle is (I am told) the glow plug indicator for starting the C4 1.9TDI and 2.5TDI engines. Turn ignition on, wait for this glow plug light to go out, start diesel. (I am told)

The "CAT"(catalytic converter)warning light. This only applies to the Euro UrS4/S6 V8s (yes, V8s, they could get them. 276 hp).

The (ABS) "Aus" is Anti-lock brake system OFF or malfunctioning.

White on blue headlight symbol = high beam

(P) = Handbrake = Brake

The ASR = "Anti Slip Regulation" (ASR) which I don't think anybody got except maybe this became the "EDL" system?

Last edited by UrS4boy; 09-30-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

You never cease to amaze me hahaha. The squiggly line is for the glow plugs, they had the same light in the old Mercedes diesel I had, they still use the same indicator for all diesels... even though I believe you don't need to wait to warm up the glow plugs on the new diesels. But thanks again for the info!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You never cease to amaze me hahaha. The squiggly line is for the glow plugs, they had the same light in the old Mercedes diesel I had, they still use the same indicator for all diesels... even though I believe you don't need to wait to warm up the glow plugs on the new diesels. But thanks again for the info!
I have never been in or driven a European diesel car so I didn't know what the loopy squiggle was until somebody told me. Thanks for the further confirmation.

Dave F.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UrS4boy
I have never been in or driven a European diesel car so I didn't know what the loopy squiggle was until somebody told me. Thanks for the further confirmation.

Dave F.
Closest I've come is a NA New Beetle TDI, and it had the same logo. I found out what it meant the hard way by forgetting to wait until it went out the first time I started the car.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Dave, do you have a pic of backside of cluster

showing which wires go to which of the three slots. CEL, airbag, seatbelt.

I pulled my cluster out to replace the ignition switch, and while I took some pics, they did not come out clear.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by prestonian
showing which wires go to which of the three slots. CEL, airbag, seatbelt. I pulled my cluster out to replace the ignition switch, and while I took some pics, they did not come out clear.
This is all I have at hand: