Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2
Old 08-01-2016, 02:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Question about brake light on dash

Old 07-14-2015, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about brake light on dash

Ok so I have had a issue with the bomb not holding pressure overnight and the light staying on when it first starts up about 20 seconds then it goes out. Ok so a year goes by and the light started to flash under hard cornering? Now it comes on when I hit a bump or shake the car going down the freeway at 65 mph, when I say shake I mean lightly nothing stupidity don't drive like that ( on public roads anyway) thought maybe it has to do with the brake pad sensors nope. Could it be the e-brake light switch? I checked the brake fluid level and it's fine.

Is there a way to check the e-brake switch? I pull it up and it comes on, sometimes when the brake is up and the car starts the light goes out ( I think once the bomb builds pressure) but if I put the handle down and pull it back up it lights up again.

I have never lost pedal feel or had the pedal go to the floor but it's driving me crazy? I hope it's in the e- brake switch.

Help please and thank you.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure, but my S6 brake light stayed on more than 20 seconds upon startup, more like a minute, and also a bump would make it come back on. Did this for the 5 years I owned it, and it never got better or worse really. Never had any real issues either. Driving on the interstate it would stay off for the most part, a driveway bump could make it come on for a bit.

Don't think mine would go out with the brake pulled up though. That's seems odd. Always assumed mine was a bomb issue, not an E-brake issue. Mine E-brake would make it come on every time.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

That sounds like what mine does only if I get on it from a stop it will come on along with a driveway bump. I just hope it's not a brake pressure issue.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Also my dash lights the ones for the odometer and the outside temp are grey now now longer red? Is there someone who fixes these if you ship them the gauge cluster? I'm good with a welder but can't solder very well.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

The cluster bulbs are OSRAM bulbs I get at NAPA, and easy to replace. Some replace all with 2 watt so they are a bit brighter. The QW FAQ has a how-to. The TEMP bulb you can get at radio shack and solder in with 1-2 drips. Also in the how-to.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok now I think I am narrowing down how to get the light to come on? So if I drive straight down the road at any speed at move the steering wheel side to side I can keep the brake light on as long as I want so after that I pulled into a parking spot and pumped the brake pedal about 8 times kinda rapidly with the enngine running and the brake light came on? Tried it again and it came back on? I think I have a bomb going out. Will I lose brakes if it fails or will it just be a hard pedal? Should I convert to vacuum? Or stay hydro boost? Please help I'm tired of that light flickering.

Thanks Mike
Old 07-15-2015, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GoHeels
The cluster bulbs are OSRAM bulbs I get at NAPA, and easy to replace. Some replace all with 2 watt so they are a bit brighter. The QW FAQ has a how-to. The TEMP bulb you can get at radio shack and solder in with 1-2 drips. Also in the how-to.
I guess I'm going to join Quattro world so I can look at it? Is it hard? I'm good a hard stuff but not very good with delicate stuff.... I have a short fuse😋
Old 07-15-2015, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not hard at all. The cluster comes out with the steering wheel all the way down and out, cover to protect, and just a few screws. There's a diagram to show which bulbs are which but its pretty easy to tell the ones you need to replace. You could do all 12 or 14 to 2 watt if you wanted.

On the 1-5 fix it yourself difficulty scale, its a 1.3
Old 07-16-2015, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you but I'm more concerned about my brake issue. Does anyone know what happens when the bomb fails? Do you lose your brakes or just the assist? I'm thinking just the assist is lost a lot like if you have a bad brake booster on a vacumn operated car?

Last edited by BB1995S6; 07-16-2015 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BB1995S6
Thank you but I'm more concerned about my brake issue. Does anyone know what happens when the bomb fails? Do you lose your brakes or just the assist? I'm thinking just the assist is lost a lot like if you have a bad brake booster on a vacumn operated car?
You just lose assist. But without the assist, the brakes are very very difficult to use (your leg muscles will need upgrading).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about brake light on dash