Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

93 S4 - antilock light on - no power to radio

Old 12-31-2011, 10:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 S4 - antilock light on - no power to radio

Lent my car out(I know) - they left the interior light on.I explained how to jump start the car.Got it back - the antilock light is on and there doesn't seem to be any power to the radio.All other lights and switches are working.Checked the fuses(doesn't list the radio) and they all seem fine.Anything obvious I should be looking for? I don't want to think that she hooked up the battery jumper pack backwards for a split second but she says that "may" of happened.sigh
Old 12-31-2011, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a 5A fuse on the back of the headunit. Just pull it and change the standard fuse. I thought there was also one in the panel at the end of the drivers dash.

Probably cycling the antilock switch will clear that one-hopefully.

The reverse current doesn't always fry things, but caution is better than frying your computer. My neighbor hooked up a charging/starting cart backwards with it on start (60A or so) and tried several times to start after a ignition switch and cylinder housing change, remarking all the time about the strange way the warning lights were working. Result was a radio fuse and one or two others in the end of the dash and a battery with the plates partly melted. Everything else was fine and has been for several months and a few thousand miles. Others have had a jump start gone wrong fry the computer with just touching the cables wrong.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok so I'll remove the radio and check that fuse.I've looked at the fuses at the end of the dash.They look ok but I'll swap in a new one just in case.Which fuse # is used for the radio. Also how do I cycle the antilock switch.Thanks much
Old 01-02-2012, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have not looked to see if my S6 has a radio fuse in the side of the dash. The most likely culprit is the 5A fuse on the back of the radio.

Don't you have an antilock switch on the center console that you can just switch off/on? Make sure the diff switch has not been inadvertently pushed down. Many times the lights are burned out so it is not obvious.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I tried diff lock switch - it works fine but anti lock light is still on.I pulled the radio out - there is no obvious fuse 5a in the back of the head unit.I see 3 plastic multi wire connections on drivers side - single wire connection in the middle - 2 black wire connections on the pass side.I'm not sure which fuse # powers the radio.All other electrical systems work ok.Even tho all the fuses look ok I'm going to replace them and see what happens.Thanks
Old 01-03-2012, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here is a link to a description of Audi radios of this period. If your vehicle has the original radio it is the gamma cc and has a brown 5A automobile fuse in the back. I am not going to pull my radio just to show you the fuse; It plugs into the back of the headunit.

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/
Old 01-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Tom, you are correct as usual.It was hidden in with the connectors. I found it after looking at this pic
That solved the radio issue now I just have to look into the anti lock light.Thanks for your guidance
Old 01-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I swapped out what I think is the the ABS fuse and it didn't fix the issue.I doubt it's the ABS system as it occurred at the same time as the radio issue.
Is there a relay or any other obvious electrical component that would turn the anti lock light on?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The ABS relay in a 93 UrS4 is, I believe, the Auxilliary Relay Panel 2, the one in the LHD drivers kick panel, the "349" in the photo.

Link to Auxlliary Relay Panel 2 info

Old 01-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I misunderstood the mod instructions.I thought if I had a fuse in block #21 that I had the new EDL style and there was no fuse in the ABS relay.I'll check that tomorrow.I bet and hope your right.Thanks much Dave.You and Tom are always so helpful.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93 S4 - antilock light on - no power to radio