Aston Martin to R8 v10?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 01:03 AM
ksa
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aston Martin to R8 v10?

Hey guys,

So I currently have a 2008 Aston Martin Vantage that I only got 6-7 months ago. Less than 40K km's on it and in mint condition. Sportshift 1 transmission which is single clutch. I did some aftermarket exhaust and cat mod on it so sounds insane. That being said car add kicking in again as it always does (longest car ever was just over a year and sitting at 15 cars in less than 10 years). So I have been looking at a 2012 R8 V10 in white and r-tronic that I am quite liking and contemplating making a move towards. Has just under 9000 km's so obviously very low.

Anyone done a similar move? Aston Martin to R8 or vice versa? Will I miss the Aston Martin?

What should I know about reliability and maintenance of the R8? Can I purchase extended warranty from Audi directly and is it recommended I look into extended warranty? I am in Canada for reference purposes.

Basically just want to know if this will be a good move and if I do decide to go ahead, what sort of things should I be going in aware of.

Thanks very much.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:46 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by ksa
What should I know about reliability and maintenance of the R8? Can I purchase extended warranty from Audi directly and is it recommended I look into extended warranty? I am in Canada for reference purposes.
Sorry...15 cars in 10 years...I don't think you should worry about reliability and maintenance...it will probably be gone before you even have any maintenance to do.
A 2012 with 9000km (5600 miles)...wtf, was it just put in the garage as a showpiece? That is incredibly low mileage. Has it had just the first 5k oil change or has the owner done 7 or 8 over the years?
Old 09-27-2019, 10:59 AM
ksa
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
Sorry...15 cars in 10 years...I don't think you should worry about reliability and maintenance...it will probably be gone before you even have any maintenance to do.
A 2012 with 9000km (5600 miles)...wtf, was it just put in the garage as a showpiece? That is incredibly low mileage. Has it had just the first 5k oil change or has the owner done 7 or 8 over the years?

Haha I know my track record doesn't bode well but I am hoping to find that gem that I can stick with for a long time. At least a couple of years or so. Surely there's got to be one out there lol.

As for servicing, from what I understand there was one service done at 3500 kms and second service was done at 6700 kms when the current owner (second owner) purchased it. He indicates that the car is showing a sign for 8000 kms service as overdue but he knows for a fact that the dealership had done a service at 6700kms right before he purchased it. So his plans were to do the next one in Spring.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:53 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by ksa
Haha I know my track record doesn't bode well but I am hoping to find that gem that I can stick with for a long time. At least a couple of years or so. Surely there's got to be one out there lol.

As for servicing, from what I understand there was one service done at 3500 kms and second service was done at 6700 kms when the current owner (second owner) purchased it. He indicates that the car is showing a sign for 8000 kms service as overdue but he knows for a fact that the dealership had done a service at 6700kms right before he purchased it. So his plans were to do the next one in Spring.
Ok, so 2 services in about 8 years? I guess if it is kept in a climate controlled garage and always brought up to temp when rarely driven that might be ok, but overall I'd personally like to see oil changes every year on a low mileage car like that if I was planning to keep it.
Not driving a car can be almost as bad as driving it too much. Sadly the R8 really isn't a collector car like say some Ferrari's or a Bugatti. IMHO R8 is more a special car that is meant to be driven if not tracked frequently. It is more like a 911 in my eyes. The everyday sports/supercar.
Also the tires....they should for sure be changed if the are original even if they look like brand new....they are too old.
The only thing I've heard, and I say heard, because I have never had the opportunity of driving one is that the original single clutch r-tronic is a pass. I believe in 2013 models they switched to the s-tronic dual clutch which is the new gold standard for automatics. If you barely drive it then it probably makes little to no difference, but my understanding is the s-tronic is much more livable on a daily basis.
Oh and cracked frames....near the top front shock mount. I'm not sure when that was all fixed....