Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 A4 Aftermarket Stereo installed (few questions)

Old 03-25-2015, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 A4 Aftermarket Stereo installed (few questions)

I have been working on cars since I can remember; I've also installed around 20 stereos, subs, and amps and have never run into any problems like I've been having with this car. I came to a realization that I grew up as an American only car family; and that is pretty much all I've ever worked on. My mom changed that up when she bought a 2003 Audi A4 because it was actually too good of a deal to pass up.

Obviously, like every other A4 it seems; the antenna booster is cracked, and I know that is the main reason for no radio reception. I have done my research, I've read tons of forums on aftermarket radio installations and so on. But it came to the point where it was easier to just post my own thread because I wasn't finding the exact answers I needed.

***What I've done thus far...***

1. Installed dash trim/double din radio (retrofit so that I am able to remove after installing) which I must mention is such an awful design...

- *Instead of using the wiring harness supplied with the stereo from crutchfield... Would it be a good idea to get one of the harnesses from enfig instead?*

2. Plugged in 1* antenna adapter to the adapter supplied with radio, and purchased another adapter from enfig to plug in the 2nd* adapter.

3. Plugged in the 4* RCA cables from harness to the back of the stereo (instead of actually wiring each speaker???) I have never installed a stereo that had that before in my life.

4. Ran the power wire from stereo harness to fuse box with the supplied adapter

5. Finished installation and checked that everything was working correctly....

***Now here are my problems...***

1. There are 2* antenna hookups, the main one (the normal style one like in most cars) is hooked up correctly. The 2nd antenna adapter from enfig is not.... my invoice says I purchased the "Enfig AAA-VWAUD2" but now looking at the picture of it, it doesn't look like the one I received.... but regardless my question about that is....
- WHAT/WHERE do I splice the *BLUE* wire too? The directions say "The blue wire off the adapters gets connected to your radios antenna turn on lead." Could someone tell me which wire that is or maybe even a picture?

2. With radio all hooked up correctly (minus antenna's) I tested it for the first time with a USB connected to an Iphone, also tried a different Iphone, also tried AUX cable instead of USB and here's the problem...
- If turned up (not too loud, but maybe louder than how most would normally listen to music at) the speakers begin to distort the song (almost like the speakers can't handle the power... also tried playing with the fader/balance to try to narrow it down but still the same thing happens regardless) but as soon as I turn it back down a few clicks the music is clear as day again... Anybody ever experience this? What could be causing this issue?

3. I found a forum that referred to fixing the cracked antenna booster located at the rear window. It did not seem to fix my problem though, but not going deeper into that until I know that both my antenna connections are wired correctly. But looking into the future... If the problem persists, is there anyway to bypass that booster and rig a different style, or will I have to buy a new/ good used one?

Any help is appreciated.... THANK YOU