Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st gen ipod Touch in 2016 A6 won't play

Old 02-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gen ipod Touch in 2016 A6 won't play

I hooked up an old ipod Touch (1st gen) full of MP3 files via USB to the new car and the device shows up in Sources; the music library and cover art shows correctly on the MMI and you can start any song and watch the progress of it as it 'plays.' However, I can get no sound at all. I tried transferring the contents to the Jukebox, but got message that it requires a valid USB connection and would not transfer. There is a lot of good MP3 music on this device. Anyone have an idea how to access? Cable I am using is wide (old) ipod connector to standard USB on car end.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lectrolink
I hooked up an old ipod Touch (1st gen) full of MP3 files via USB to the new car and the device shows up in Sources; the music library and cover art shows correctly on the MMI and you can start any song and watch the progress of it as it 'plays.' However, I can get no sound at all. I tried transferring the contents to the Jukebox, but got message that it requires a valid USB connection and would not transfer. There is a lot of good MP3 music on this device. Anyone have an idea how to access? Cable I am using is wide (old) ipod connector to standard USB on car end.
Thanks in advance.
Need some details here:

Are you connecting via the AMI port inside the glovebox?
Old 02-09-2016, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am connecting via the USB ports inside the center console. I have tried resetting the device twice, changing source to AUX, still no luck. Sound is available via headphones through the 3.5mm jack. Maybe I should run it through the AUX port? Wondering if I need a different cable.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am connecting via the USB ports inside the center console. I have tried resetting the device twice, changing source to AUX, still no luck. Sound is available via headphones through the 3.5mm jack. Maybe I should run it through the AUX port? Wondering if I need a different cable.
That won't work. The USB port inside the console will NOT play music. It'll only charge the battery. Here are your choices:

- Audi AMI cable in the glove box. You need the one for your iPod which I believe is the 30-pin. Your dealer should have what you need. Be prepared for sticker shock. This cable is like $80. That said, this will work really well. It'll integrate nicely with your MMI, it'll keep the battery charged and you'll be able to use the album "flip chart" thingy. It'll also respond to voice commands. You'll have full access to playlists. If this is an iPod you can leave in the car most of the time, this is the very best way to go.

- WiFi. You'll need to install the Audi MMI Connect App from the store. Then connect your iPod to the car's WiFi and stream music that way. You can control the iPod via the MMI. Note that the flip chart and voice control are not available with this method. You'll have full access to playlists.

- Bluetooth. This will work, but I think it's too limited. You can stream music over Bluetooth but you can't do much more than skip forward or backwards via the MMI. Anything else will require picking up the iPod and controlling it from there.

That's about the height of it. Ping me back if you have further questions.

-Charles
Old 02-09-2016, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

First of all, I'm pretty sure the MMI will not recognize an early iPod or iPod Touch Gen1. This has been the case since the C7 was introduced.

See here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...rized-2840907/

Second, I don't believe the MY2016 A6 uses an AMI cable any longer. Are there two USB ports in the center console? If so, AFAIK one is for playing media and the other is for only for charging. If just one USB port, it should do both.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

According to the Entertainment options summary linked above, Gen 1 Touch is not supported.. support begins with Gen 2. Also, you are correct that the MY2016 no longer uses an AMI cable. I have two USB ports in the center console, plus an AUX in port.

I do not have an itunes account, nor do I want to install the program on my PC, so getting the MMI app is out. I did connect the device to Audi wifi, but that seems like a dead end too.

Is there a way to get these files out of the ipod so I can load them on an SD card? When I try to open the ipod device folder in WIN 7, I cannot see any files at all. None of my media players show the music either. Do I need an Apple computer to see what is inside this?
Old 02-10-2016, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

According to the Entertainment options summary linked above, Gen 1 Touch is not supported.. support begins with Gen 2. Also, you are correct that the MY2016 no longer uses an AMI cable. I have two USB ports in the center console, plus an AUX in port.

I do not have an itunes account, nor do I want to install the program on my PC, so getting the MMI app is out. I did connect the device to Audi wifi, but that seems like a dead end too.

Is there a way to get these files out of the ipod so I can load them on an SD card? When I try to open the ipod device folder in WIN 7, I cannot see any files at all. None of my media players show the music either. Do I need an Apple computer to see what is inside this?
OK, fair enough. I was working off of what I know about the 2015. It's about time Audi got rid of the AMI port. It worked, but it was never a great way to go.

You do not have to install iTunes on your PC. You can create an account and simply download the app to the iPod over the Internet. Without the Audi MMI App, you can connect over WiFi, but it cannot stream. You have to have the app.

There are some (at least there used to be) utilities around that'll extract music off an iPod and create .mp3 files. You'll have to search.

-Charles
Old 02-10-2016, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There are several utilities you can get that will treat the iPod as an external hard drive and allow access to copying your music files to a PC. Do a Google search. Or just download iTunes to your computer, sync the Touch then copy the files from the iTunes music folder to an SD card.

Note that any old AAC Protected music files will not play on another device.

Last edited by snagitseven; 02-10-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I spent hours today searching for a utility that will work, but nothing works. Tried Sharepod (requires itunes) AnyPod, Winamp, a couple of others. When I try to open files on the ipod in Explorer, I can get to a DCIM file folder, but properties shows it as empty.
I have itunes on the ipod Touch, but all I can do is search for music to buy. If I open a new itunes account and install on my PC, what will happen when I sync? Will files just copy onto the PC itunes and remain on the device? Is the itunes on the ipod already linked to an account? If so, how do I find out what account it is? This device belonged to someone else originally, so I have no info on any account that may be established.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If the iTunes account on the iPod is linked to someone else, how did you buy songs? Were the songs purchased by the previous owner? Without their email address and password it wouldn't be possible for you to buy songs. Unless you have their account credentials, you would not be able to sync the songs on a different iTunes acct on your computer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st gen ipod Touch in 2016 A6 won't play