Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 A3 2.0T Sub box install tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 A3 2.0T Sub box install tips?

Hi all,

A friend of mine just bought his son a 2006 A3 2.0T Wagon (Hatchback? not sure what it is called, but it has no trunk), and they have tasked me with installing an amplified sub box in the hatch area. I was a car audio installer for several years at an electronics shop, so I kinda know my way around that world. I'm more looking for information specific to this particular car, to avoid tearing things up that I don't have to.

So, hopefully a simple and straightforward install, just adding a mono amp and sub box to the existing system. Of particular concern to me are:

1. Tips on getting the amp wire through the firewall and into the cabin? Hookup to the battery/fuse box looks pretty straightforward, but it's pretty tight in there, would be nice to know an easy spot to run the wire through the firewall.

2. How to remove the factory head unit if needed. Looks like it has four slots that need a tool put in them to get it out. Any tips would be helpful.

3. Where to get source signal for amp? I doubt this head unit has preamp outs dangling from it that I can just plug RCA cables into. Was going to just use a line level converter off the rears, but they are in the doors, which makes it more problematic to find the right wires, and they are likely amplified, which adds another challenge to the mix. Any thoughts on getting an audio signal to the amp? It is mono, so I really only need one side, not necessarily a stereo signal.

4. Good place to hook up the remote turn-on wire? Possibly the back of the stereo, or it might be easier to get it at the fuse box and run the wire along with the power cable for the amp?

5. How do I identify what level of system this car has? Can I tell if it is the Bose system or not just by looking at it? Or is there a label somewhere in the car, or on the radio itself that would tell what it is?

Lastly, any other tips to make this go easier? Planning on running the power wire under the drivers kick panel and door sills, any tips to avoid damage there? I believe I can accomplish this without disconnecting the battery, but should I have to, any issues to be wary of there? This car has no owners manual, I do not know if it has any kind of radio security device that kicks in if the radio is removed.

Any advice would be welcomed and appreciated, I can provide pictures if needed.

Nice little car...I might be on the lookout for one of these for myself!