Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Technical Discussion > Electronics > Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 181265

Default A4 B7 Sub Replacement for Non-Bose

I recently came accross this thread that details on how to replace the existing sub woofer on a B7 A4:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ock-sub-woofer

I have a non-bose system with an RNS-E (originally a Symphony II) and I wanted to know if it was possible to replace the existing sub with something like a Pioneer TS-SW841D without installing a new amp (essentially using the same wiring that is already driving the current sub). I'm somewhat new to car audio upgrades, so I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question.

Thanks!
jga85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 182979

No such thing as a dumb question!

If you know the power output of the stock amp, I could help you out.

Cheers!
marcus.sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 180129

Not really. The factory sub is getting very little power and is mounted in an infinite baffle rear-deck application (if you have a sedan - if you have a wagon, you have a plastic ported enclosure in the rear side panel).

There aren't many woofers that work well infinite baffle, and none will work off of that amp. It's too puny.

The signal coming out of the RNS-E is actually filtered- as you increase the volume the bass is removed to keep that factory system from coming apart. When upgrading it, we insert a grounded wire into the empty "Bose pin" slot in the RNS-E connector, to force the OEM HU to stop activelly filtering the bass out at higher volumes.

You probably can't get the minor improvement you're looking for easily.

Personally, I'd rather have a 2-channel amp and a good 6 and tweeter in front, with the Bose pin stuffed, and leave the factory woofer unplugged.

Current car: 2007 BMW 328xiT Premium iDrive BT Nav 6FL Musicar Certified Audio Upgrade

1,147 AW posts as avincar (now at musicarnw.com)

Stop guessing: OEinterface.com
VP Electricity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
a4, amp, audi, b7, bose, factory, location, rear, removal, replacement, rs4, stock, subwoofer, upgrade, wagon