Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi Q5 Android Phone bluetooth connection

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q5 Android Phone bluetooth connection

I just picked up my Q5 yesterday. It does not come with the ability to listen to music over bluetooth (even though I went over this several times that is what I was looking for).

Apparently I need to purchase a unit that will hook up to the cable in my glove compartment.

Can someone please recommend a unit that will work? I am not sure what the options are, but I'd like one if at all possible that didn't have to charge or touch at all.

I went on Amazon and there were several options with several different prices. They also mostly say iPhone. I have a droid, and I am not sure if that matters.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

What year is your Q5?

Even if it's a late-model, you probably won't like streaming over Bluetooth. It will work... but you'll have to control everything from the phone. Playlists, tracks, etc.

I assume you're talking about the AMI interface since you mentioned the glove compartment. That's not a bad solution, honestly. The cable is stupid expensive (~ $70) but it gives you a lot of functionality. Honestly, I only really like the AMI interface in the glove box with an iPod. It's just too inconvenient to keep my phone in the glove box. I use it for so many other things. With an iPod, the MMI will show playlists, album artwork, the little album "flipbook" and keep it charged.

-Charles
Old 01-08-2016, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the response. It is a 2016. I just purchased this which will hook up a bluetooth adapter to the AMI interface in the glove compartment. The car came with the cable, so I just needed the device.

Amazon.com: Bovee Viseeo Tune2air WMA1000 - Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface Adaptor for Audi, Mercedes, and Volkswagen with 30 pin iPod connector - Compatible with iPod Touch 4th & 5th Gen , iPad 1 to 4 , iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPhone 4 , 5, 6, 6 plus: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Bovee Viseeo Tune2air WMA1000 - Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface Adaptor for Audi, Mercedes, and Volkswagen with 30 pin iPod connector - Compatible with iPod Touch 4th & 5th Gen , iPad 1 to 4 , iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPhone 4 , 5, 6, 6 plus: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 01-08-2016, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Which trim and engine package on that Q5? Does it have at least the MMI Nav Plus? If so, you really don't need that bluetooth adapter.

Instead, connect your phone to the car over WiFi and use Audi Connect app on your phone to stream directly to the MMI over that. That's what I do. It's wireless, the MMI controls EVERYTHING and I don't have to put my phone in the glove box or buy any adapter.

-Charles
Old 01-09-2016, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry I should have mentioned that. The streaming only comes with nav which I don't have.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Gotcha. It's tough to figure all of this out given the myriad of options the car may or may not have. So far, I think I'm liking the WiFi streaming directly from my iPhone. It lets me keep all of my music in ONE place. On the phone. And I don't need to do anything with the AMI in the glove box.

The only disadvantages:

- No album "flipbook" in the MMI.
- No voice control such as "Artist Pink Floyd"

-Charles