Sponsored by:

Audio/MMI settings on Start-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio/MMI settings on Start-up

Another newbie question for the experts out there

I just purchased a 2015 A4 w/MMI and find it to be overly complicated and require too many button presses to function as expected. One issue I'm having is the settings upon startup.

1) when I turn on the car, it automatically starts to play the music from my iPhone (connected via bluetooth). If I turn the volume all the way down, or press pause before turning off the car... the next time I get in and start the car... the music automatically starts playing again.

2) if I'm listening to the radio and turn the volume all the way off, the next time I get in and start the car, the radio automatically comes on and the volume is up again.

Does anyone know how to set it so that the volume is at the level I last set it and the system doesn't automatically start playing music from my iPod?

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

That's odd. As far as I can tell my MMI remembers the last volume setting. I know this, because it was a big pet peeve of mine in the B7 S4, where it didn't remember it and always went back to a default volume that was too loud for my taste.

I've never tried turning the volume all the way down, though. The proper way to turn off the audio is to mute the volume by pressing on the volume button on the steering wheel or the center console. This will also pause playback of the current media source. In my case it stays muted even if I turn off the car. At least that's as far as I remember. I don't mute the audio very often.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
That's odd. As far as I can tell my MMI remembers the last volume setting. I know this, because it was a big pet peeve of mine in the B7 S4, where it didn't remember it and always went back to a default volume that was too loud for my taste.

I've never tried turning the volume all the way down, though. The proper way to turn off the audio is to mute the volume by pressing on the volume button on the steering wheel or the center console. This will also pause playback of the current media source. In my case it stays muted even if I turn off the car. At least that's as far as I remember. I don't mute the audio very often.
I'll try muting it on the steering wheel instead and see if that changes anything. I usually press the volume **** by the gear shift which also mutes it, but then as soon as I get back in the car, iTunes fires up and volume is up a few notches... definitely not "remembering" the last volume level and playback status.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You got me curious about this, so I went to play with it. I mostly listen to Radio, SiriusXM actually and there it remembers the last volume setting including mute. However, it looks like if you are listening to Media sources then it doesn't. I'm not into collecting music, but I sometimes stream Pandora from my phone over Bluetooth. I guess I never muted when I was listening to Pandora. It does indeed unmute and start playing as soon as the Bluetooth connection to my phone is established and assume it's the same behavior for any other Media source. It does pause Pandora on my phone as soon as I turn off my car, but when I turn it back on, the phone reconnects and Pandora resumes and if the audio was muted it unmutes and the volume setting is somewhere in the middle. Now that I'm thinking about it I recall reading posts from people complaining about this behavior.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for confirming this for me. Wasn't sure if it was something I was doing. It seems like very strange behavior... more of a bug than something planned. Do you know if Audi has some sort of bug list to submit to so they can fix on future Firmware updates?
Old 11-15-2014, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You can email or call AoA customer service to provide your feedback. That's to the best of my knowledge the only way to reach Audi. Don't count on firmware updates, though. Audi like other car manufacturers haven't subscribed to the consumer electronics model yet for their infotainment systems. Other than Tesla, they don't do regular updates. Generally what you have is what you get. They update the firmware every model year so newer cars have newer firmware, but existing cars only get an update if there is a big enough bug to warrant a patch release.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know this is an old thread, but I have some new news (I believe).
Car: '13 A7, 3G MMI.

Had the typical issue where the sound always comes on during a restart to some low/medium level no matter how you left it when the car was turned off.

As I was rummaging for things the dealer should fix at my next service, and noticed my MMI volume **** does not detent. That is, you can't press it for a click to mute the sound. In fact, the **** would just pop off if you'd pull on it easily.

Service advisor said normal operation is for MMI to remember the last selected volume setting, even if off. Well, they replaced my mmi volume **** and now I get the behavior I wanted. Detenting the volume **** for mute is indeed remembered at restart.
That's cool, but...
The mute on the steering column essentially does the same thing, and that did not work previously (mute worked, didn't remember last volume).

So, wondering if this is really related to the ****, or if they changed some magic setting.
I have VCDS and have looked everywhere and at the secret green hidden screen and never found any setting for this...

FYI,
Illbay