Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I update MMI 3G myself?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I update MMI 3G myself?

My dealer wants $550 to update the nav on my 2010 s4 with 3G.

Can I just buy the nav disc off him and install myself?

Would it upgrade the firmware on my MMI too?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2015, 12:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay I'll take a stab at this since I just talked to a bunch of dealerships and various forum posts around here looking for the same answer.

First off, yes the Firmware is updated as the first step in the processes since without the firmware the maps won't work (Guessing that maps may support new features or something).

The update to the map is via SD card, which is BIG. It basically updates the data on the hard drive on the MMI 3G system, and can take over an hour. Therefore they hook up some aux power to your car while the update is happening so you don't kill the battery, you also don't want power interruptions so turning the car on and off is a no no. I suppose that you could in theory forgo using MMI while you drive somewhere for hours as long as you are sure you have enough gas. but you would have to get them to agree to that, and I guess there is a risk that you could damage the software in the system.

However the last step is map activation which can only be done by the dealer, which binds your care with some activation server in Germany to activate the new map.

I don't know where you live but I had to shop around and had quotes very wildly. My best bet was a local dealership that was close enough to the big dealerships in the bay area to have to compete with them, but far enough away that most people in the bay area would not visit them.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can do it all yourself, there are map activators for free around the web if you search
Old 03-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by skiptowncat
You can do it all yourself, there are map activators for free around the web if you search
Is this something you have done? I've only found a couple of activation sites that are both in the Ukraine, and their webfront didn't instill a lot of confidence.

Plus it could imagine it could be an expensive fix if it goes badly.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcanon
Is this something you have done? I've only found a couple of activation sites that are both in the Ukraine, and their webfront didn't instill a lot of confidence.

Plus it could imagine it could be an expensive fix if it goes badly.
Yes, I just did my own. Have a look on gpsunderground or cartechnonogy
Old 04-21-2015, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

First of all you need to find out which 3G version you've got! There are two types of versions. One is MMI 3G basic which got no hard drive just DVD rom, two SD card readers and cd changer, the other one is MMI 3G high with hard drive and better navigation and graphics!!
You need to check that before you go ahead and buy one. There are website online that sells the upgrade and maps for cheaper the price quoted to you! Need help PM me!
Old 04-22-2015, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Djadnankhan
First of all you need to find out which 3G version you've got! There are two types of versions. One is MMI 3G basic which got no hard drive just DVD rom, two SD card readers and cd changer, the other one is MMI 3G high with hard drive and better navigation and graphics!!
You need to check that before you go ahead and buy one. There are website online that sells the upgrade and maps for cheaper the price quoted to you! Need help PM me!
Would love to know where to get the software and how to do it.
I just purchased an 12 A4 Avant Prestige model with the MMI 3G and Harddrive.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Please check your inbox!
Old 03-16-2016, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am wondering if I have the latest firmware on my 2013 A8 with HD, and would like to know the steps to tell. If I do update with it break the VAG-COM tweaks?
Old 03-16-2016, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ahyaman718
I am wondering if I have the latest firmware on my 2013 A8 with HD, and would like to know the steps to tell. If I do update with it break the VAG-COM tweaks?
If you update the firmware it will reset your vag com tweaks and you'll need to reapply them.

Quick Reply: Can I update MMI 3G myself?