Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting Video to working formats for 2014 A4 MMI 3G+ (Cdn)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kehvein
I throw music videos and movies for road trips like he was talking about. Ironically ive been struggling to get this to work with no luck... then I though I would check for a Handbrake update and sure enough it worked.

Ive attached a preset list for 2 settings. 1 with a 2000 rate and one with a 1500 rate. They both work.

Just make sure if yall wanna use the setting to change the extension from txt to plist.
When I try to import this file after renaming the extension to plist, I get the following error:
An Unknown Error has occured.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: The Description for the enum was not recognized.
at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Utilities.EnumHelper `1.GetValue(String description, Boolean insensitiveCase) in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64 \0.9.9.1\win\CS\HandBrake.ApplicationServices\Util ities\EnumHelper.cs:line 94
at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Factories.PlistPrese tFactory.ParseSetting(KeyValuePair`2 kvp, Preset preset) in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64 \0.9.9.1\win\CS\HandBrake.ApplicationServices\Fact ories\PlistPresetFactory.cs:line 236
at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Factories.PlistPrese tFactory.CreatePreset(PList plist) in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64 \0.9.9.1\win\CS\HandBrake.ApplicationServices\Fact ories\PlistPresetFactory.cs:line 43
at HandBrakeWPF.ViewModels.MainViewModel.PresetImport () in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64 \0.9.9.1\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\ViewModels\MainViewMo del.cs:line 1488
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(IRunt imeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner)
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(IRunti meMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at Caliburn.Micro.ActionMessage.<.cctor>b__d(ActionEx ecutionContext context) in C:\Projects\Blue Spire\Caliburn.Micro\src\Caliburn.Micro.Silverligh t\ActionMessage.cs:line 266
at Caliburn.Micro.ActionMessage.Invoke(Object eventArgs) in C:\Projects\Blue Spire\Caliburn.Micro\src\Caliburn.Micro.Silverligh t\ActionMessage.cs:line 228
at System.Windows.Interactivity.TriggerBase.InvokeAct ions(Object parameter)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Objec t source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(Dependency Object sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.InvokeClickAfterR ender(Object arg)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.Internal RealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCat chWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
Old 11-09-2014, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mywebdrives_1@hotmail.com
When I try to import this file after renaming the extension to plist, I get the following error:
An Unknown Error has occured.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: The Description for the enum was not recognized.
at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Utilities.EnumHelper `1.GetValue(String description, Boolean insensitiveCase) in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64 \0.9.9.1\win\CS\HandBrake.ApplicationServices\Util ities\EnumHelper.cs:line 94
at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Factories.PlistPrese tFactory.ParseSetting(KeyValuePair`2 kvp, Preset preset) in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64 \0.9.9.1\win\CS\HandBrake.ApplicationServices\Fact ories\PlistPresetFactory.cs:line 236
at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Factories.PlistPrese tFactory.CreatePreset(PList plist) in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64 \0.9.9.1\win\CS\HandBrake.ApplicationServices\Fact ories\PlistPresetFactory.cs:line 43
at HandBrakeWPF.ViewModels.MainViewModel.PresetImport () in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64 \0.9.9.1\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\ViewModels\MainViewMo del.cs:line 1488
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(IRunt imeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner)
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(IRunti meMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at Caliburn.Micro.ActionMessage.<.cctor>b__d(ActionEx ecutionContext context) in C:\Projects\Blue Spire\Caliburn.Micro\src\Caliburn.Micro.Silverligh t\ActionMessage.cs:line 266
at Caliburn.Micro.ActionMessage.Invoke(Object eventArgs) in C:\Projects\Blue Spire\Caliburn.Micro\src\Caliburn.Micro.Silverligh t\ActionMessage.cs:line 228
at System.Windows.Interactivity.TriggerBase.InvokeAct ions(Object parameter)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Objec t source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(Dependency Object sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.InvokeClickAfterR ender(Object arg)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.Internal RealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCat chWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
I've got Handbrake 0.9.9.5530 = 64 bit version.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just posting to say converting with this Handbrake program works and my .mp4 videos play fine. Do people actually watch movies in their car? Wouldn't it drain the battery too much?
Old 09-15-2017, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by beebee
Just posting to say converting with this Handbrake program works and my .mp4 videos play fine. Do people actually watch movies in their car? Wouldn't it drain the battery too much?
You would leave the car on. The engine will run to keep the battery charged, and if you have auto start/stop, will shut off most of the time.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry to bother you guys, this topioc seems to be related to video format issues ? I have a question. Recently I got an video file titiled with .RM and I couldn't play it in Windows Media Player. So, after I searched on the internet, I read this article about "convert rm to mp4" (http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/convert-rm-to-mp4.html). As you can see, it asks me to convert RM to some more compatible formats like AVI and MP4. But I do not know why after the conversion process, the video quality gets decreased, no matter what i do with the resolution and bit rate. Is that because the mp4 is a compressed container format?
Old 07-11-2018, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Encoder Level

Was having trouble with this but changing the Encoder Level to 3.0 seemed to make it work. Haven't tried anything else but that might help some people.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I spent a good amount of time testing various formats to get 5.1 working in my 2013 S5 MMI 3G without having to cart around a bunch of DVDs. There's no way to get 5.1 from just audio files on USB drives and SD cards, but you can get it through XVID/DIVX video files muxed with AC3. The only two video formats that seem to work off storage drives are H264 and XVID/DIVX. H264 will not pair with AC3 though, I even tried under multiple extensions (mpg, mp4, avi). So that leaves you with only one combo to get 5.1:

H264 - aac, mp3 | .mp4 <- no 5.1 combo
XVID/DIVX - ac3, mp3 | .avi <- 5.1 only available through ac3

DTS also didn't work with any video format, so you have to go with ac3 if you're not using the DVD drive.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this thread while I was searching for anyone who might have used FFMPEG to do the same without using Handbrake.
inline79 points got me over the line to getting this to work I have this as part of a script, but people who know how to use FFMPEG will be able to figure this out. Note, i forced 25fps as I was trying to convert videos which for some reason I discovered ran at 50fps and the MMI doesn't support that. I believe a max of 30 but I've forced 25. I'd prob remove the -r 25 if the source file was 23.something. The -vf scale just forces the video into the needed resolution but keeping the aspect ratio. Looks good enough for me! I use the animation flag as I was encoding for the kids. -crf 23 is prob too high for the low resolution screen in the Audi, I'd say 27 would look find. Worked out for a clean amination of 7min to a file size of 3.6MB
Hopefully others like me who had been looking for an example command will find this and improve on my 'that will do' standard

ffmpeg -hide_banner \
-i filename \
-r 25 \
-vf scale=w=720:h=404:force_original_aspect_ratio=decr ease \
-c:v libx264 \
-preset medium \
-tune animation \
-profile:v baseline \
-crf 23 \
-maxrate 1750k -bufsize 1750k \
-c:a aac -b:a 192k \
./converted/filename.mp4

Last edited by kerbdog; 04-30-2021 at 04:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Serge Broslavsky (07-25-2022)
Old 10-11-2020, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have multi track audio, you might need to downmix to stereo...I haven't looked into that yet