Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have i fried my Navigation too?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have i fried my Navigation too?

I have a 2007 Q7. Recently my BOSE amplifier died due to the notorious water leakage problem. Yesterday I finally got around to take it out and confirm the death and get to soak up the water and dry it all up as well.

I was exited to finally start to sort this out, and was expecting to get my menus and reversing camera bck up again once i removed the amp and bypassed the optical loop with at MOST loop connector.

HOWEVER, that was not the case. The screen and everything was still dead. I ran a optical loop diagnostics, and get:

Sound system: Electrical ERROR Optical ERROR
Navigation Electrical OK Optical ERROR

The rest was OK OK.

So my wonder is then, have I ruined the nav as well? there were microscopic amounts of water around the connectors, but looked fine inside aside som small rust at the chassis. I lights up and blinks etc. so seems electrically ok as the test suggests, andI see the red light is present in the cable going in to the nav.
So, are there any chance it will blossom to life once I get a new amp, or should I just order a nav unit as well?
Old 01-27-2015, 01:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone experienced something similar?
Old 02-02-2015, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Did you fix the water leak? And what was the cause?

I suspect the Nav will have to be replaced. I don't know of any place that repairs them but you might do a google search. I found this link that showed how to disassemble one:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Disasse...lus+unit/12405

and this place repairs the ones for the B6/7 models: Audi Navigation Plus Repair Service RNS E GPS Nav Head Unit | eBay

You could contact them to see if they work on your model
Old 02-02-2015, 09:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, I HOPE i fixed it. It must have been the drain hose, although there weren't very percisting evidence. It must have been leaking between the ball and the fitting itself in any case. Deffinitely not btw fitting and hose as i've seen reported before. Now that I think og it and you ask, I'm getting worried that the water might come elsewhere from. Do we know of any other probable places that migh cause water running over the exact same place?
I cut of the fitting and put the hose directly on the ball. It's sealed now for sure.

My unit is not similar to the one in the link. It's only a "DVD player". I'll browse around a little to see if someone can fix it, and possibly both units together if I have to send it out of the country (Norway).
Old 02-03-2015, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LantzQ7
Well, I HOPE i fixed it. It must have been the drain hose, although there weren't very percisting evidence. It must have been leaking between the ball and the fitting itself in any case. Deffinitely not btw fitting and hose as i've seen reported before. Now that I think og it and you ask, I'm getting worried that the water might come elsewhere from. Do we know of any other probable places that migh cause water running over the exact same place?
I cut of the fitting and put the hose directly on the ball. It's sealed now for sure.

My unit is not similar to the one in the link. It's only a "DVD player". I'll browse around a little to see if someone can fix it, and possibly both units together if I have to send it out of the country (Norway).
Probably not easy to do this in your country right now since it is winter but using a hose and run it over the windshield area and look for leaks inside.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well. It's fixed.

Just thought I'd let anyone who wondered know.
I sent it to SVTservices.co.uk in UK. They were able to fix my heavily water damaged amp, and they also fixed my minorly waterdamaged (just as busted for me) navigation unit free of charge as well. Everything back in the car with no signs of new water coming in.

Thanks a bunch to Chris at SVT Services for great service!