Sponsored by:

Installing an aftermarket radio in C5

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing an aftermarket radio in C5

Hi!
I have a Audi C5 (S6) manufactured in 2000, it has a RNS-D radio installed, but I'm thinking to replace it with something newer and better.
There are 2 reasons why I want to change it: better support for audio input and better support for maps.
My car has somekind of a UV protective layer on all windows which seems to block GPS signals (and radars too).

One option is to upgrage to RNS-E. It turns out there is a difference between RNS-E from B6 and RNS-E from C5 (the faceplate changes). The system if fine, I could add my SD card, it shows IDTags, there are navigation maps available and in gerenal RNS-E looks good, but...

After searching I came across aftermarket radios, which have a load of features, not looking at those cheap ones that look awful, but there are some decent looking ones with some amazing features. Lets take this one for example:
Android 4 4 4 Car CD DVD Player GPS Audi A4 Seat Exeo S4 RS4 RNS E B7 B9 2028AGB | eBay
(if the link is dead, probably can find another one in ebay by searching "Audi android navigation")
It looks like RNS-E (sort of) and it basically has every feature that you would ever want in a car navigation, and if not, then its a android, you can download a "feature"!
If I install this navigation then forget those Audi's navigation CDs, I can use Waze and basically everything I don't like I can change because its an android.
I could maybe even install multifunction steering wheel and have an actual application for it.

Here is the sad thing, it says it is for Audi B6 (2002-2007).
Does anyone know if there is any difference between Audi C5 and Audi B6 in electronics that could make the navigation not working?

In general, will this navigation system work in my C5?
B6 doesn't seem to be much different from C5.

I know that the faceplate won't fit, but other than that, could this work? Anyone had any success?
Old 06-07-2016, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever find your answers. I think you need to get the @enfig plugs - but should work. I'm looking into this same unit.