Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI , phone app

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default MMI , phone app

Sorry I am new to this. I picked up a US mobile SIM and set it up in my MMI for Google Earth. Appears to be working.

1) Do I still have to go to myaudiconnect and register a subscription for connect services? I tried but it says it cannot find the SIM in the system. Or are the connect services free and the subscription would just buy me the t-mobile data plan?

2) The phone audi connect app says it cannot connect to the vehicle. How is the connection made via cell phone data? Or is WiFi the only option? If I turn on WiFi in the vehicle for this feature does this also allow others to use the hotspot or can one just turn on WiFi for the phone app to work without the hotspot feature enabled?
Old 05-24-2016, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Sbaer81
Sorry I am new to this. I picked up a US mobile SIM and set it up in my MMI for Google Earth. Appears to be working.

1) Do I still have to go to myaudiconnect and register a subscription for connect services? I tried but it says it cannot find the SIM in the system. Or are the connect services free and the subscription would just buy me the t-mobile data plan?

2) The phone audi connect app says it cannot connect to the vehicle. How is the connection made via cell phone data? Or is WiFi the only option? If I turn on WiFi in the vehicle for this feature does this also allow others to use the hotspot or can one just turn on WiFi for the phone app to work without the hotspot feature enabled?
1. No, you don't need to register for connect services. myaudiconnect.com is used to obtain service from AT&T or T-Mobile.

2. The MMI Connect app connects to the MMI in a couple of ways. For the online destination feature and other features depending on your car, the connection is via the myAudi cloud (my.audi.com). You'll have to setup an account, add your vehicle and then enter the PIN the site generates into your MMI to establish the connection. The MMI Connect app can also connect to the MMI via Wifi to stream radio stations and for the Find My Car feature to automatically remember where you parked. The Wifi connection is optional, though. I'm not using it at all. It does require the MMI's Wifi hotspot to be turned on, which would also allow other devices to connect, provided they have the correct password.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks this is very helpful. My confusion is that I don't see the PIN under the VIN on my.audi.com
I have reached out to Audi
Old 05-24-2016, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi will probably not help you, because you don't have an official subscription. Most of us who used a third-party SIM at one time or another, had their myAudi account setup during the complementary trial subscription. Others have posted that they couldn't get online destinations to work with third-party SIMs. It does seem that you need an official Audi connect subscription to configure the myAudi account and get the PIN. One option to do that is to get a 30-day T-Mobile subscription, then setup your account and don't renew the subscription.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-24-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well I got lucky. Via chat support they looked at the account and suggested I remove the vehicle via the app and add it again in the app instead of on the website. This did the trick and the app is synced. Thanks for your time.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sweet! That's good to know. The website never worked really well.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what phone app are your using ? would like to try this for my 12 a7 since my t-mobile is worthless
Old 05-25-2016, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by burlgoat53
what phone app are your using ? would like to try this for my 12 a7 since my t-mobile is worthless
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mmi-...570608111?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...i.mmiapp&hl=en

You still need a working T-Mobile subscription, or you can contact your dealership and have your MMI upgraded to AT&T. If you live in a market where T-Mobile has refarmed their 3G network, then the upgrade is free, otherwise unfortunately your dealership may not even be aware of the upgrade.

More info:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_P...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_P...ew?usp=sharing