Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No sound from speakers while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No sound from speakers while driving

I just installed a Kenwood KSC-SW11 Compact Powered Enclosed Subwoofer in my 2013 Q5. I used a Metra 2-channel LOC and tapped into the OEM subwoofer wires. Remote turn-on was tapped into the 12V Accessory plug in trunk. Power and Ground was taking at battery in trunk. Tested the system and all works fine before I put all the panels and spare tire back together.

A few hours later, I get in to drive the vehicle for first time, everything still working fine, and the sounds cut off after about 30ft. I switch sources, from IPOD, to radio, to satellite, but no sounds. The system is not on mute. Even bluetooth has no sound

When I shut the car off, and turn it back on, the sounds come back. But when I start driving again, sound cuts out again. I can see the IPOD and cd player playing, so it's not muted or stop playing. I try turn it off and on a few more times, and same result each time I drive off.

So I got home and return everything back to factory, hoping it was a bad install, but the problem continues. The turning off and back on still turns the sound back on, but continues to cut out when I drive off.

Any ideas? I searched online, and it looks like it might be a software problem. But this did not happened till the subwoofer installation.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Checked all the fuses, even disconnected the battery. Still same problem. Just scheduled an appointment with dealer, so we'll see what they can do about it.

I have never brought my previous vehicles to a dealer for repairs before. This just doesn't feel right for a DIYer.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default TSB 2032966/5 - Sound cuts out above 6mph

Technical Service Bulletin 91 14 25 2032966/5

Sound cuts out above 6 mph with Audi concert radio and without Bang & Olufsen.

My friend who is a mechanic that works for an independent shop, was able to find this TSB (I searched for it, but still couldn't find this online), that describes my problem. A trip to the dealership with this in hand will be a time saver.

Anyway, I scan this with my phone, if quality is off, I'll rescan when I get to a computer.
Attached Files

Last edited by vutekho; 07-15-2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: edit title
Old 07-18-2014, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Brought my car to dealership today, and the TSB posted indeed fixed my radio issue. So if anyone has the sound from their speakers cut out after reaching a certain speed (mine was 10 mph, not 6 mph), head to your dealership and get the update. It's not a hardware issue, and you'll spend countless hours digging for an impossible fix.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for posting the issue, solution and the TSB documents, I have the same issue with my 2013 Audi Q5 and would be going to the dealer soon to get the issue fixed.

Was it a quick software upgrade that resolved the issue for you? I am hoping that this is something quick especially after showing them the TSB. I really appreciate the details you have provided.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by manukaushik
Thank you for posting the issue, solution and the TSB documents, I have the same issue with my 2013 Audi Q5 and would be going to the dealer soon to get the issue fixed.

Was it a quick software upgrade that resolved the issue for you? I am hoping that this is something quick especially after showing them the TSB. I really appreciate the details you have provided.
It was a 45 min fix. They went ahead and updated other softwares too, while they had it.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks, this is very helpful indeed. On another note, how is your experience with Kenwood KSC-SW11?
Old 01-23-2015, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by manukaushik
Thanks, this is very helpful indeed. On another note, how is your experience with Kenwood KSC-SW11?
I like it. I wanted a lil more bass than what the OEM subwoofer provides, without losing trunk space, without costing too much, or add too much weight.

I put the box in our storage tray beneath the trunk cover, set it, and left it alone, even left the volume remote there. It hasn't moved around, and haven't had any issues.

FYI, this sub isn't a thumper. It's purely for interior entertainment.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by vutekho
Brought my car to dealership today, and the TSB posted indeed fixed my radio issue. So if anyone has the sound from their speakers cut out after reaching a certain speed (mine was 10 mph, not 6 mph), head to your dealership and get the update. It's not a hardware issue, and you'll spend countless hours digging for an impossible fix.
Thank you! Our 2013 Q5 just started doing this today. I love the info on this board!