Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio stuck in safe mode

Old 11-23-2014, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio stuck in safe mode

My radio is stuck in safe mode , I did not receive a manual when I bought the car from a private owner. I have the code, I think, and I am able to enter it on the screen "but" I do not know how to take the next step is there a button to push once the code is displayed? I would appreciate any help.
Is this something that could be avoided when you change battery?
Thank you for some help.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Safe mode

Yes can be avoided but usually when the battery is removed the radio goes into safe mode. Its a 4 digit code. Best advice is go to youtube and search it. There are many different audi/vw radios but the activate method is similar. Video is the best explanation. If the code doesn't work the stealership can get you the code using the radio serial number usually for a fee. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Len A4
Yes can be avoided but usually when the battery is removed the radio goes into safe mode. Its a 4 digit code. Best advice is go to youtube and search it. There are many different audi/vw radios but the activate method is similar. Video is the best explanation. If the code doesn't work the stealership can get you the code using the radio serial number usually for a fee. Good luck.
Actually one does not have to go to the dealership anymore for the code. Calling AOA with the car vin and radio info - they will give you the code for free now - whereas the dealership will charge one for it
Old 02-20-2015, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Reggie
Actually one does not have to go to the dealership anymore for the code. Calling AOA with the car vin and radio info - they will give you the code for free now - whereas the dealership will charge one for it
Good to know. Where is the unlock code supposed to be located? I am guessing it is somewhere on the sticker in the maintenance book which has all the code numbers for the options you selected (same sticker also located in spare wheel well)?
Old 02-20-2015, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by a5weiss
Good to know. Where is the unlock code supposed to be located? I am guessing it is somewhere on the sticker in the maintenance book which has all the code numbers for the options you selected (same sticker also located in spare wheel well)?
The unlock code is a 4 digit code usually contained within a sticker on the 1st page or so of the owner's manual...at least that's where mine was. If you don't have it, then as Reggie pointed out, simply called Audi of America and provide your VIN. Assuming the stereo is the original in the vehicle, they will usually give you the unlock code. They MAY ask for specific details regarding the radio, whereby you may be required to remove the radio.

In that case, you'll need to do the following:

1. Take radio out, using the radio removal tool
2. Get the code etched on the side of the radio starts with letters AUZ5Z....
3. Call Audi 1800 822-2824 (24/7) have your vin#, and personal info ready.
4. Wait for a call or email with the CODE.