Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing 2008 RS4 stereo w/ aftermarket unit - how will cockpit display be affected?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing 2008 RS4 stereo w/ aftermarket unit - how will cockpit display be affected?

I want to replace the 'navigation plus' stereo head unit in my 2008 B7 RS4 with an updated system that will integrate with my phone.

I'm looking at this one: Kenwood Excelon DNX891HD Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com

Will I still be able to view the trip computer, exterior temperature, and oil temp in my cockpit display (between the tach and speedo)?

I asked the install guy and he had no idea.

Any help or advice about this much appreciated. I searched around and could not find an answer to this question.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TastesLikeChicken
I want to replace the 'navigation plus' stereo head unit in my 2008 B7 RS4 with an updated system that will integrate with my phone.

I'm looking at this one: Kenwood Excelon DNX891HD Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com

Will I still be able to view the trip computer, exterior temperature, and oil temp in my cockpit display (between the tach and speedo)?

Any help or advice about this much appreciated. I searched around and could not find an answer to this question.
I believe only the top part of the display will go away (station, track etc)

You will also loose the controls on the steering wheel I suspect.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Reggie
I believe only the top part of the display will go away (station, track etc)

You will also loose the controls on the steering wheel I suspect.
The Metra ASWC-1 should let you keep stereo controls. I'm replacing mine with a Kenwood DNX571HD this week, hopefully.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TastesLikeChicken

You need a CAN module with SWC retention like this one:

Crux SWRAD-55 Wiring Interface Connect a new car stereo and retain the factory amp and steering wheel audio controls in select 2001-10 Audi models at Crutchfield.com