SD Card and MMI - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Technical Discussion > Electronics > Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


SD Card and MMI

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 97
Default SD Card and MMI

Just got a new 2012 A6. Have posted some problems I have had with MMI and audio on a couple prior posts. Still haven't gotten any responses. I have come to the conclusion that playlists are just not supported by the Jukebox. As a result, I have been trying to use an SD card to be able to play my playlists. I have a lot of well planned playlists, and that is how I listen to music. I also update and create new ones all the time.

My card structure is as follows:

32gb SD card.
About 3600 song files in .mp3 format.
About 12 playlists in .m3u format created in Windows iTunes.
Playlist files are in the top (root) directory of the card.
Created a folder on the card for each playlist.
Used iTunes to copy each playlist to corresponding folder on the SD card.
None of the folders have more than 1000 songs.

So my problems are strange, and one of 3 different things keep happening.

1) Most often, when I insert the SD card, MMI plays nothing gives the following message:

"The medium or device is being loaded.
Please wait..."

I have waited, while driving, up to 45 minutes and the message never goes away, and music never plays from the SD card.

2) Sometimes, if I get impatient and eject then reinsert the SD card, it will immediately play the first file in the first folder from the first playlist - NOT the first song in the playlist. If I then load the corresponding playlist, it works fine.

However, if I try to play ANY OTHER playlist, or any song directly from any other folder, the song grays out and it gives me some read error. Again, this will not improve if I wait a long time for the SD card to supposedly recognize the playlists.

3) I have even tried to eject/reinsert multiple times. On occasion, I can get the 2nd playlist to play as the first one above, but have NEVER gotten anything else.

In examples 2) and 3) above, I see an icon on the MMI screen that I cannot find documentation to see what it means. I attached a photo of this and circled it in red. The icon is identical to the playlist icon. I suspect this means that the playlists are being recognized or loaded. However, today, I drove an hour home from work and played playlist #2 (as in example 3 above), and that icon never went away. When I got home and tried to play any other playlist after the first 2, nothing would work, nor would direct access from the folders for any song after the first 2 folders.

HELP!!! This is driving me nuts!!! I have a lot of well planned playlists, and that is how I listen to music. I also update and create new ones all the time. Without it, I am pretty sad in this fancy new car! I don't want to have to hook up and iPod, because it converts to analog, and doesn't have album art. SD is so much slicker, and Jukebox doesn't support playlists.
teddyoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 97
Default

Sorry. didn't attach...
Attached Images
 
teddyoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 97
Default

Last interesting tidbit. During another long commute today, I noticed something interesting. I am a techie with a strong computer background, so i have been tinkering and testing to try and get to the root of the problem.

As I described before, sometimes when I insert the SD card, it just loads indefinitely. Reinserting it will then allow the first song in the first folder to play.

So today, I tried every song in that first folder. They all played fine. Then, I played every song in the next folder, and they worked fine. I repeated this process for every other folder, checking the first couple songs, and they all play fine. Next, I went to the playlist .m3u file for the 4th playlist and tried to play a song that way. THE SONG WOULDN'T PLAY! So I went back to that folder and tried to play the same song that wouldn't play using the playlist file - IT NOW WOULD NOT PLAY!

So clearly, there is a problem with MMI recognizing playlist files. I am able to play any song on the SD card if I select it directly, but if I try to play them through a playlist, it screws it up and they won't play anymore.

Does it matter WHERE the playlist files are stored? Would it work better if they were IN EACH FOLDER where the .mp3 files are? Would it work better if I eliminate folders and just throw all the files together on the SD card? (Seems like that violates the 1000 file folder limit).

You might think I should give up on playlists and just play the files form the folders. That still is a big pain in the ***! The songs are sorted alphabetically, and I would have to number each file in order to get it to play in the order I want! Don't have any plans to rename 4000 files by hand!!!

Also, I still have the problem of initially reading the SD card. If I have it in and working, the next time I start the car and select the SD card as a source it always hangs up loading.

HELP!
teddyoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 97
Default

Well thanks for all the great help out there! Good to see a thread that the original poster is the only one to respond!

I have solved this little problem. Reviewing some other threads under specific car models, I saw some conflicting information about the location of songs in .m3u playlist files. Some posters propose editing them to allow the MMI to be correctly pointed to the song location. In fact, this did it for me. Playlist files have the song location built into them. when you export an .m3u playlist from iTunes, the file IS supported by MMI. However, iTunes keeps the file location the same. As a result, MMI was searching for a drive and folder that did not exist on the SD card.

Here's what future MMI users need to do to get playlists to work:

1) Realize that user playlists DO NOT WORK on the Jukebox.

2) Copy the source .mp3 files to the SD drive using the SAME FILE STRUCTURE as on your computer. As an example, I let iTunes organize my library. So a song will have the following path...

C:\Music\U2\Joshua Tree\With or Without You.mp3

When you copy this to your SD card, realize it will be organized by MMI for searching by file structure. I copied the artist folders over in one big batch onto a 32gb SD card. I did not copy the whole Music folder to avoid a subfolder issue and allow for easier artist browsing on the SD card (also I have more music than a 32gb card would hold, so I selected the artists that were on playlists that I use). The file will now have this path assuming your SD card is drive S:

S:\U2\Joshua Tree\with or Without You.mp3

3) Using iTunes (or whatever music program you use), export the playlists as .m3u files to the root directory of your SD card.

4) Open Windows Notepad. Open a playlist file. They are text files, so any text editor should do. Each song on the playlist will be listed in order. Each will also have the full, original path from iTunes. Use the Replace tool in Notepad to eliminate the original location. In the example I gave above:

Replace: C:\Music\
With: \

This will point the playlist file to the correct folder on the SD card. If you use Replace All, you can change the locations of the entire playlist with one click. Great for larger playlists!

5) Save the modified playlist file.

That's it! Insert the SD card into the Audi MMI, and your playlists will play INSTANTLY (after the standard MMI initialization when you start the car) without any playlist loading delays.

I am the smartest man alive!
teddyoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Regina_TTS/Q5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Regina, Canada
Posts: 1,161
Default

Awesome post, teddyoh! I'll definitely be making use of it as soon as my A6 is here.
__________________
Tony Smith
Regina, Canada

Back in a C7!
Regina_TTS/Q5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:50 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member
 
das2.7t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Clarksburg, MD
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyoh View Post
Well thanks for all the great help out there! Good to see a thread that the original poster is the only one to respond!

I have solved this little problem. Reviewing some other threads under specific car models, I saw some conflicting information about the location of songs in .m3u playlist files. Some posters propose editing them to allow the MMI to be correctly pointed to the song location. In fact, this did it for me. Playlist files have the song location built into them. when you export an .m3u playlist from iTunes, the file IS supported by MMI. However, iTunes keeps the file location the same. As a result, MMI was searching for a drive and folder that did not exist on the SD card.

Here's what future MMI users need to do to get playlists to work:

1) Realize that user playlists DO NOT WORK on the Jukebox.

2) Copy the source .mp3 files to the SD drive using the SAME FILE STRUCTURE as on your computer. As an example, I let iTunes organize my library. So a song will have the following path...

C:\Music\U2\Joshua Tree\With or Without You.mp3

When you copy this to your SD card, realize it will be organized by MMI for searching by file structure. I copied the artist folders over in one big batch onto a 32gb SD card. I did not copy the whole Music folder to avoid a subfolder issue and allow for easier artist browsing on the SD card (also I have more music than a 32gb card would hold, so I selected the artists that were on playlists that I use). The file will now have this path assuming your SD card is drive S:

S:\U2\Joshua Tree\with or Without You.mp3

3) Using iTunes (or whatever music program you use), export the playlists as .m3u files to the root directory of your SD card.

4) Open Windows Notepad. Open a playlist file. They are text files, so any text editor should do. Each song on the playlist will be listed in order. Each will also have the full, original path from iTunes. Use the Replace tool in Notepad to eliminate the original location. In the example I gave above:

Replace: C:\Music\
With: \

This will point the playlist file to the correct folder on the SD card. If you use Replace All, you can change the locations of the entire playlist with one click. Great for larger playlists!

5) Save the modified playlist file.

That's it! Insert the SD card into the Audi MMI, and your playlists will play INSTANTLY (after the standard MMI initialization when you start the car) without any playlist loading delays.

I am the smartest man alive!
Excellent. I love this forum.
das2.7t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10
Default

thank you so much, teddyoh,

this is great information, I just pick up the 2012 S4 for my wife,

I know she will be asking me to setup the songs....

save me a potential headache~~~LOL~~
jjchenS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
Default

Can you tell me which 32Gb SD card (brand & spec) you're using please?
I can get an 8gb micro sd to work fine but my 8GB SDHC is 'unreadable' by the MMI. It's a 2011 A4.
ineedcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Regina_TTS/Q5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Regina, Canada
Posts: 1,161
Default

Here's what I'm successfully using...

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
Tony Smith
Regina, Canada

Back in a C7!
Regina_TTS/Q5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
AudiWorld Member
 
fdot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 281
Default VIEDO

so what video format is everyone using, i had one error with one file but i want to know the absolute ideal format for mmi
__________________
2015 S5 Daytona Grey Pearl


more photos @ my flickr page flickr.com/photos/fdotguido
fdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #11
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by das2.7t View Post
Excellent. I love this forum.
Great info - love this forum - one questions for you - i have tried to follow your instructions and just have 1 questions once i have exported the playlists as .m3u to the SD card. (i am using itunes as well)

when i open the .m3u list in a text editor, do i delete the FULL path name or just some of it ?

here is a screen shot of how it looks .....

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:207,Give It To Me - Jason Blaine
/Users/danielsmith/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Jason Blaine/Unknown Album/08 Give It To Me.mp3

so should it look like this:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:207,Give It To Me - Jason Blaine

OR like this

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:207,Give It To Me - Jason Blaine
Jason Blaine/Unknown Album/08 Give It To Me.mp3

your help would be greatly appreciated
Eurekamontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
Default Playlists on SD card

I've got the 3G MMI system and use SD cards to hold all my music, and I've also been driven nuts by this problem... but may have an answer!

I simply created the playlists as I normally would (I use Salling Media Sync as it works with my Android phone too) and changed the file extensions from .m3u to .mp3 - It sounds like it shouldn't work, but the MMI just picked it up and plays the tracks in order. I can even use the forward/back buttons to jump through the tracks.

I don't know if this will work on the jukebox, but I'd give it a try.
ChuckyBru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
AudiWorld Member
 
xradman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurekamontana View Post
Great info - love this forum - one questions for you - i have tried to follow your instructions and just have 1 questions once i have exported the playlists as .m3u to the SD card. (i am using itunes as well)

when i open the .m3u list in a text editor, do i delete the FULL path name or just some of it ?

here is a screen shot of how it looks .....

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:207,Give It To Me - Jason Blaine
/Users/danielsmith/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Jason Blaine/Unknown Album/08 Give It To Me.mp3

so should it look like this:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:207,Give It To Me - Jason Blaine

OR like this

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:207,Give It To Me - Jason Blaine
Jason Blaine/Unknown Album/08 Give It To Me.mp3

your help would be greatly appreciated
It should look like

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:207,Give It To Me - Jason Blaine
\Jason Blaine\Unknown Album\08 Give It To Me.mp3

You need the "\" in place of "x:\Users\danielsmith\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\" I'm pretty sure it's "\" rather than "/" in your example.
__________________
2011 A8L
Oolong Gray Metallic/Titanium Gray
Premium, Cold Weather, Panorama Sunroof
xradman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
AudiWorld Member
 
Mickelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 230
Default

Anyone able to play video off a SD card or USB device? I have tried a bunch of different file formats but only get audio, even if car is parked.
__________________
2012 A6 2.0 TDI Multitronic Aviator Blue w extended Black Leather, extended Walnut Trim, Adaptive Air Suspension, Bose, factory tint, sport+tech packages, Calix engine heater etc, etc
2012 Q3 2.0 TFSI Cobalt Blue, sport+tech packages, factory tint
Mickelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #15
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyoh View Post
Well thanks for all the great help out there! Good to see a thread that the original poster is the only one to respond!

I have solved this little problem. Reviewing some other threads under specific car models, I saw some conflicting information about the location of songs in .m3u playlist files. Some posters propose editing them to allow the MMI to be correctly pointed to the song location. In fact, this did it for me. Playlist files have the song location built into them. when you export an .m3u playlist from iTunes, the file IS supported by MMI. However, iTunes keeps the file location the same. As a result, MMI was searching for a drive and folder that did not exist on the SD card.

Here's what future MMI users need to do to get playlists to work:

1) Realize that user playlists DO NOT WORK on the Jukebox.

2) Copy the source .mp3 files to the SD drive using the SAME FILE STRUCTURE as on your computer. As an example, I let iTunes organize my library. So a song will have the following path...

C:\Music\U2\Joshua Tree\With or Without You.mp3

When you copy this to your SD card, realize it will be organized by MMI for searching by file structure. I copied the artist folders over in one big batch onto a 32gb SD card. I did not copy the whole Music folder to avoid a subfolder issue and allow for easier artist browsing on the SD card (also I have more music than a 32gb card would hold, so I selected the artists that were on playlists that I use). The file will now have this path assuming your SD card is drive S:

S:\U2\Joshua Tree\with or Without You.mp3

3) Using iTunes (or whatever music program you use), export the playlists as .m3u files to the root directory of your SD card.

4) Open Windows Notepad. Open a playlist file. They are text files, so any text editor should do. Each song on the playlist will be listed in order. Each will also have the full, original path from iTunes. Use the Replace tool in Notepad to eliminate the original location. In the example I gave above:

Replace: C:\Music\
With: \

This will point the playlist file to the correct folder on the SD card. If you use Replace All, you can change the locations of the entire playlist with one click. Great for larger playlists!

5) Save the modified playlist file.

That's it! Insert the SD card into the Audi MMI, and your playlists will play INSTANTLY (after the standard MMI initialization when you start the car) without any playlist loading delays.

I am the smartest man alive!
Great post! But, I use a mac. Any thoughts/suggestions on who to export itunes to SD card on an OS X computer?
__________________
2012 A6 3.0T Prestige Phantom Black Nougat Driver's Assist Cold Weather
2005 A6 3.2Q
1999 A6 2.8Q (sold)
Steve'sA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
AudiWorld Member
 
mannya4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 275
Default

Any suggestion on card writer?
__________________
mannya4(brilliant black)
97 1.8tqms,wett chip,k&n,remus exhaust,uuc short shifter,greddy turbo timer,pillar mount vdo boost gauge,neuspeed rear swaybars,bilstein/eibach suspensions,kamei sport grille,super white headlights,porsche 993 bpv, continental extreme contact,brembo rotos all sides,mintex red pads, stage II clutch and lighten flywheel,oettinger re 17 x 8
mannya4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mill Creek, WA
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve'sA6 View Post
Great post! But, I use a mac. Any thoughts/suggestions on who to export itunes to SD card on an OS X computer?
What you can do is right click on the playlist you want to have on the SD card and click export. Then select .m3u. After that you'll want to go to wherever you exported the file, right click on the file and open it with text editor... go in and you'll see the file structure.... change it to /Volume/SDcardNAME/folderNAMewhereMP3is/songname.mp3

mine looks like this:
/Volumes/MP3/90s/11 Man In The Box.mp3
brumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #18
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7
Default

hello i am a new ownwer of a 2012 Audi A6 Prestige and had a quick question on the SD card. I understand there are SD cards with built in wifi. I wanted to know if we use this card in the MMI SD card slot and would it be possible to push or upload the card with music wirelessly. This way when a new song comes out i can transfer the song wirelessly from my computer to the sd card in the car. Not even sure if the cards that have wifi will be able to accept the trnasfer as the only cards i see are more for phot transfer from camera to comp. Can this be possible? Any thoughts or work arounds?
FalconX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Teddyoh, thanks for starting this thread. I had no idea that MMI supported M3U playlists.

Unfortunately, it looks like only the first 2000 lines of the playlist are being loaded. The playlist is the whole genre, so I can randomly play any song in the genre. If I scroll down very quickly, the MMI shows that I'm on song XX of 2000.

Has anyone else encountered this?
A7Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:28 AM   #20
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickelin View Post
Anyone able to play video off a SD card or USB device? I have tried a bunch of different file formats but only get audio, even if car is parked.
I know this is an old post, but can you (or anyone) tell me how to get even just audio to play off a DVD ripped to an SD card? I have some multichannel DVD-Audio discs that include a 5.1 DTS track. I can play these with the DVD in the player, but I don't like having to keep discs in the car and change them out. I'd much rather rip them to an SD card. I've tried ripping the DVDs as both ISOs and DVD folder format to an SD card, but neither worked.
dscline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2012, a4, audi, audit, card, copy, formats, initialization, loading, mmi, playlist, plays, problem, sd, song


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Join AudiWorld

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:35 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community