Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 07-25-2016, 01:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
vSee related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

SD Card and MMI

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagle607
I was also using a 32GB SDHC card and it had been working fine up until yesterday. I added new music and it shows up on the computer and everything, but when i put it into the card, the MMI doesnt even display the artist. I tried sliping the music into a another folder that already existed and was showing up, and the MMI still displays everything BUT the added music. I must admit, i am a bit confused...

I tried exporting the music from ITunes in a playlist, it showed the artist but nothing playable. I changed to Root Address for the files, same thing..shows artist but a folder with no content on the MMI.

So basically it seems as if my MMI is refusing to load any new content i provide, anyone else experience this or have a solution??

I look forward to hearing from you.
Are all the files in .mp3 format?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by James Flood III
Are all the files in .mp3 format?
I am about to bring a 2013 Q5 home and I want to load up its B&O MMI asap. I have several simple questions I hope someone has experience with(?)

(1) Much of my home library music is in 16bit MP3 and M4A--however, I'd also like to bring some of my 24bit high definition albums into the car as well. Is this possible? As FLAC or ALAC??

(2) Many of the post in this topic are about the M3U playlist on a SD card--is the playlist absolutely necessary? (i.e., my Honda's Pioneer simply reads the directory structure on its USB thumb drive).

(3) I saw a 500Gb external HD offered by Audi accessories, implying could be used by the MMI. Yet I hear of problems with larger SD cards (e.g., 32Gb)--is anone using an actual external HD connected via the glovebox port and UB cable?

(4) Also a consideration would be to purchase a large capacity iPod classic and keep it in the glovebox(?)

All advise extremely appreciated!!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've been experimenting with the MMI in my 2012 A7 for about 10 months now:

(1) Not according to the user manual, and I tried 44.1/16 FLAC files and they were not recognized as music files.

(2) Audi chose not to implement the SD cards and other storage like it does the internal jukebox. Therefore, with an external drive, you can still browse the directory structure to select music. But you can't listen to various songs in a given genre, for example, without a playlist. You can't even shuffle the entire drive. It will only shuffle the folder you are in. I created several random playlists (with up to 1999 songs) to compensate for this.

(3) I don't know about Audi's hard drive. I did install a 256GB SSD in a Vantec enclosure and connected it to the mini-USB adapter. Formatting a partition that large as FAT32 is tricky but not impossible. I kept getting device power errors so I added a 5-volt power supply that plugs into the accessory jack. It works fine as long as the car isn't turned off too long. After that, the MMI must power down, as it loses track of what it played last. The next time I start the car, it plays the very first song on the hard drive. SD cards do not have this issue.

(4) I connected a 160GB iPod Classic and it worked perfectly. However, why pay extra for the B&O stereo and use the DAC inside of an iPod?

Another approach is to play DVD-Audio discs. While technically the unit doesn't play DVD-Audio, it does play the DVD layer with full surround sound. You have to enable video-in-motion if you want to see the menu, though.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A7Dave
While technically the unit doesn't play DVD-Audio, it does play the DVD layer with full surround sound.
I thought it did? I was pretty sure when I played with it, it was decoding the DVD-A (MLP). I don't believe I had to go down to the DD track.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What do you use playlists for? I listen to music on my computer and in my car all the time and it's never occurred to me to use them. Are they computer-generated from your music library based on a song? Or is it your favorite songs from each album in a given genre and then you play the playlist on shuffle when you're in the mood for that kind of music?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default DVD-A or DVD-Video

Originally Posted by dscline
I thought it did? I was pretty sure when I played with it, it was decoding the DVD-A (MLP). I don't believe I had to go down to the DD track.
Maybe I'm mistaken. I remember having the choice of Dolby Digital or DTS, so my assumption was that I was on the DVD-Video layer.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Playlists

Originally Posted by JohnnyDriver
What do you use playlists for? I listen to music on my computer and in my car all the time and it's never occurred to me to use them. Are they computer-generated from your music library based on a song? Or is it your favorite songs from each album in a given genre and then you play the playlist on shuffle when you're in the mood for that kind of music?
I mainly use playlists to shuffle all songs in a genre. I have more than 20GB in each genre, so importing it into the jukebox isn't an option. I have a Phatbox in my 2003 S6 Avant and absolutely loved it. But that is no longer an option.

I create the playlists using Windows Media Player, but you can use any program that can export to m3u files.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default SD Card issue

I got a new 2013 Q5 and started having issues 1 month ago with my sound system kicking out and even if the radio shows the song is continuing on the display the speakers were dead.
This happens after 100 feet driving and right after the door auto lock, lock the doors.
The Audi garage called me back today and mentioned that I can not use SCHC Cards, they would cause that problem and to use SD Cards only.
Will try that out today.
And to everyone that likes to use there apple songs, try Sharepod...that's all I can say.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by windsurfer72
The Audi garage called me back today and mentioned that I can not use SCHC Cards, they would cause that problem and to use SD Cards only.
I assume you mean SDHC? I would question them. Standard SD cards have a limit of 2GB. I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the manual says you can use up to 32GB cards (and it may even mention SDHC). I've been using a 32GB SDHC card for a year with no issues. If there was a compatibility issue with the card, I would not expect the display to continue showing the song playing with no sound, especially if it happens only after driving 100' or when the doors lock. Does the issue ONLY happen when playing SD cards? Can you not reproduce the issue using another source?
Old 07-10-2013, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Playlist Issues

Originally Posted by teddyoh
Well thanks for all the great help out there! Good to see a thread that the original poster is the only one to respond!

I have solved this little problem. Reviewing some other threads under specific car models, I saw some conflicting information about the location of songs in .m3u playlist files. Some posters propose editing them to allow the MMI to be correctly pointed to the song location. In fact, this did it for me. Playlist files have the song location built into them. when you export an .m3u playlist from iTunes, the file IS supported by MMI. However, iTunes keeps the file location the same. As a result, MMI was searching for a drive and folder that did not exist on the SD card.

Here's what future MMI users need to do to get playlists to work:

1) Realize that user playlists DO NOT WORK on the Jukebox.

2) Copy the source .mp3 files to the SD drive using the SAME FILE STRUCTURE as on your computer. As an example, I let iTunes organize my library. So a song will have the following path...

C:\Music\U2\Joshua Tree\With or Without You.mp3

When you copy this to your SD card, realize it will be organized by MMI for searching by file structure. I copied the artist folders over in one big batch onto a 32gb SD card. I did not copy the whole Music folder to avoid a subfolder issue and allow for easier artist browsing on the SD card (also I have more music than a 32gb card would hold, so I selected the artists that were on playlists that I use). The file will now have this path assuming your SD card is drive S:

S:\U2\Joshua Tree\with or Without You.mp3

3) Using iTunes (or whatever music program you use), export the playlists as .m3u files to the root directory of your SD card.

4) Open Windows Notepad. Open a playlist file. They are text files, so any text editor should do. Each song on the playlist will be listed in order. Each will also have the full, original path from iTunes. Use the Replace tool in Notepad to eliminate the original location. In the example I gave above:

Replace: C:\Music\
With: \

This will point the playlist file to the correct folder on the SD card. If you use Replace All, you can change the locations of the entire playlist with one click. Great for larger playlists!

5) Save the modified playlist file.

That's it! Insert the SD card into the Audi MMI, and your playlists will play INSTANTLY (after the standard MMI initialization when you start the car) without any playlist loading delays.

I am the smartest man alive!
Hi
I have an A5 latest shape Dec 2011 with Sat Nav MMI - I have managed to do this however the .m3u file can not be seen on SD card or USB stick in order to copy over to the MMI hard disk, any ideas anyone, appreciate it?

Quick Reply: SD Card and MMI