Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SD Vs Bluetooth Vs Ipod

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SD Vs Bluetooth Vs Ipod

Hey guys, I have searched around the forum and have been unable to find a solution and reason for the issue that I have. I understand about the digital to analog conversion and how the SD card would produce better quality than when using the ipod cable.. My question is this, when I play the same song, same exact file from my computer is sounds different depending on the mode I use to play it.. Background, I have a 2012 A7 prestige with B&O sound system... When I play the sound off the SD card or through my ipod they sound pretty much the same.. However when I play through my iphone on the Bluetooth is sounds a lot better. The sound settings on my iphone and ipod are the same with respect to what I have set on the EQ and the sound check off. The sound coming through the Bluetooth is louder and the bass specifically seems to just hit harder and feels more encompassing throughout the cabin.. I could see maybe there could be a difference b/c I am using an iphone 4 as my ipod and an iphone 6plus for the Bluetooth but I was hoping that the quality from the SD card would be better than the Bluetooth. Is there any settings or anything I can do for the SD card to be better quality. I like the ability to control the SD card files through the MMI and not have to use my phone to change songs as with the bluetooth
Old 04-22-2015, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the loudness difference is what you are hearing, and not any quality improvement. Sometimes when something sounds louder we humans perceive it as "better" when it may or may not actually be better. This is part of the reason why musical recordings today are mastered to be so loud compared to the recording of the past. Record labels want their music to sound "better" than other music, so they tell the mastering engineers to boost the loudness of the recordings. When the consumer listens to the music, often the recording that sounds louder gets perceived as better quality.

Bluetooth streaming is going to be the most poor connection option available in your car. The SD card/Jukebox and iPod AMI cable will both yield better results than Bluetooth, no question about it. The bluetooth signal will get compressed before transmission, and that compression is lossy. Plus, on my wife's new SQ5 the bluetooth audio frequently pauses/cuts out.

Also, don't forget there are limitations to the SD Card and Jukebox:

1. They won't play any lossless formats. No Apple Lossless. No FLAC. No AIFF. Not even WAV files are compatible, which is mindblowing.

2. No gapless playback. Both the SD Card and Jukebox improperly add audible pauses between consecutive tracks.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow impressive system you have