Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone recommend Boston Acoustic 4"ers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone recommend Boston Acoustic 4"ers?

For the dash of an 88 80q. Any one tried them? Any good?
Old 01-29-2002, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have Pro Series Bostons all around the car (10 speakers in all including subs) and love them.

Make sure you go for the Pro Series. It's way worth the extra $$
Old 01-29-2002, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Do you have the 6.5.3'S???? where/how do you have them mounted?

I'm thinking of putting these in my S4 with the 6.5" driver in the rear door location..... good idea? bad idea??
Old 01-29-2002, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Careful putting powerful mid bass in the rear doors could create a problem ...

In car audio you are aiming to get the vocals to sound as if the singer sits above the gear shift. Front and center. Putting powerful mids in the rear doors will drag the sound behind you inless you put powerful seperated in the front doors.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Anyone recommend Boston Acoustic 4"ers?

My experience with Boston Acoustics has been just plain bad. Both for home and in the car. For home, they are extremely overpriced and in A/B comparisons, they sound worse than many speakers costing less than half as much. For the car, its the same thing. I installed a set in my buddy's car about a year ago, and he finally got sick of the crappy sound. Just swapped them out for a set of MB Quarts (all things else being the same, e.g. speaker size, location, amps, etc.) and the difference was like night and day, IMHO.
Old 01-29-2002, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thats funny... I have exactly the opposite opinion

although everybody has their own idea of what sounds "better"... I've found most people (including myself) find Quarts sound too bright. The reason I like Boston is because the sound is very neutral (like a studio monitor) and the supreme power handling with minimal distortion is unmatched in their price category.

Oh yeah, one more thing, at low volume levels they sound great too... unlike other speakers which can sound somewhat hollow.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:55 PM

Rally series all around. Not amped yet but it's on the way and i love them already!
Old 01-29-2002, 08:23 PM

Default To each their own

Yeah, it does illustrate perfectly just how much variance there can be in opinion when it comes to speakers. I've blind A/B tested the Boston's (in my opinon) against NHT's, B&W's, and Mirage's in the same price range and they were by far the worse sounding. As for in-car, I've already given a little more info on direct A/B comparisons there.

BTW, Quarts do admitedly need a little more EQ-ing out of the box, but once they are set, they sound really good. And the whole brightness thing is usually the direct result of poor installtion. Quart tweeters perform best off-axis, which ideal for in-car installtions.
Old 01-30-2002, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Since I knew I was swapping out the sound system, I didn't order the bose. Therefore, I don't have

speaker locations in my rear doors (short of cutting the door pannels). However, in my personal opinion, the rear speaks, and the overall image of the system are significantly better when the rear speakers are mounted in the rear deck firing up at the rear window. The sound then reflects off the angled rear window (and since it's glass, there's no perceptible loss in sound quality) and then goes over the backs of the front seats to the ears of the front passengers. If the speakers were in the rear doors, then the sound is below the backs of the front seats, and the ability of the font passengers to hear these speakers is significantly reduced. That negatively impacts the imaging of the entire system.

Now, to answer your other question, my speakers have been in several cars already, but here's what I have.

I have 5.2s in the front doors (5 1/4" woofers and 1" tweeters)

I have 6.2s in the rear deck mounted under the stock grills (both the 6 1/2" woofer and the 1" tweeter).

I also have two 8.4LF 8" subs in custom enclosures in the trunk.

The entire system was in my 1998 A4 prior to my 2002 S4, and in a 1995 Corvette prior to that.

Here's the link to the entire system spec with photos.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/479757.phtml">Alpine Sound System</a></li></ul>
Old 01-30-2002, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Even more detrimental is having your speaker locations so far apart from one another...

Meaning, speakers on the same channel. Image, which means hearing different instruments in different locations in front of you (e.g., sax to the left, while the Piano and vocals in the middle for instance) are best achieved if all sounds from one channel hit your ear at the EXACT same time. That's why it's a good idea to have tweeters which emit highs close to your ear (up high in the front doors). Woofers aren't as important as base is not directional, but still, if you can put them together, you'll be better off. So, by putting a mid driver in the door while you put tweeters and woofers in the deck would most likely reduce your imaging considerably. I actually had my rear woofers and tweeters installed together under the rear grill in the rear deck. The imaging is absolutely amazing.

Quick Reply: Anyone recommend Boston Acoustic 4"ers?