Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Advice for Pungent Odor

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for Pungent Odor

I recently test drove an Q5 that had done 13K miles and my wife and I really liked it for a car for her. The one problem was that the previous owner was a heavy smoker and also used to rub oil-based cologne into the steering wheel and seats to cover up the smell. However the sales manager at Audi assured me that with an "ozone" treatment that the cologne/smoke smell would disappear, and we booked that treatment for the following day after we drove the car off the lot.

After that Ozone treatment was done the service manager called to let me know that the strong smell was still present. He suggested bringing in an external company to do a "deodorant bomb" that will take care of the smell.

After that was done, he called again to inform me that the cologne/smoke smell was still there. However the external company was going to come in again to do a second "deodorant bomb", this one an industrial strength version and THAT would definitely remove the smell. The dealership did that 2nd treatment and called me to say yes, the smell is finally gone.

When I picked up the car, the cologne smell was indeed gone, but was replaced with a pungent cleaning chemical/smoky smell. I was reassured by the Audi sales manager that this smell would go away in a day or two and all would be good.

It's now a week later and the smell is as strong as ever. To the extent where my wife, who I bought the car for, prefers not to drive it because the chemical smell sticks to her clothes for the rest of the day.

I'm at a loss as to what to do and have a fear that the smell, while it may lessen over time, will never go away. My son says that the car smells like a "bad taxi". I've spent over $40K to buy this car and none of us want to drive it, despite the fact that we love the way that it drives.

Any advice is welcome as to what to do next. Help please...
Old 05-11-2016, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem Fixed

Originally Posted by bruce.wedderburn@gmail.com
I recently test drove an Q5 that had done 13K miles and my wife and I really liked it for a car for her. The one problem was that the previous owner was a heavy smoker and also used to rub oil-based cologne into the steering wheel and seats to cover up the smell. However the sales manager at Audi assured me that with an "ozone" treatment that the cologne/smoke smell would disappear, and we booked that treatment for the following day after we drove the car off the lot.

After that Ozone treatment was done the service manager called to let me know that the strong smell was still present. He suggested bringing in an external company to do a "deodorant bomb" that will take care of the smell.

After that was done, he called again to inform me that the cologne/smoke smell was still there. However the external company was going to come in again to do a second "deodorant bomb", this one an industrial strength version and THAT would definitely remove the smell. The dealership did that 2nd treatment and called me to say yes, the smell is finally gone.

When I picked up the car, the cologne smell was indeed gone, but was replaced with a pungent cleaning chemical/smoky smell. I was reassured by the Audi sales manager that this smell would go away in a day or two and all would be good.

It's now a week later and the smell is as strong as ever. To the extent where my wife, who I bought the car for, prefers not to drive it because the chemical smell sticks to her clothes for the rest of the day.

I'm at a loss as to what to do and have a fear that the smell, while it may lessen over time, will never go away. My son says that the car smells like a "bad taxi". I've spent over $40K to buy this car and none of us want to drive it, despite the fact that we love the way that it drives.

Any advice is welcome as to what to do next. Help please...
Took the car back to the dealer today. He sat inside it and said that the smell will NEVER come out, and I swapped for another Q5 with similar miles. he was good about it, and for $500 extra upgraded to a 3.0T engine.