Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Care For A Black Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 05:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Care For A Black Car

Have a Brilliant Black S4 coming in. My first black car. Very limited S4 availability (with the MT) and I'd have chosen a different color if there were more choices only since it's going to be a daily driver and won't be garaged and I will not have the time to wash 2X a week or frequently wax.

Best advice to reasonably care for? I have seen black cars with terrible scratch marks from being abused during washing - really want to avoid anything like that.

Thanks,
Old 02-11-2016, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's impressive when it's 100% / people will comment or turn to look, even non-fanatics!

My first blck Audi has not been difficult. A well waxed car will reward with a clean look
that is easy to bring up to show level... Hand wash always!

To satisfy my 'high' standard
I keep the interior spotless and well conditioned. At least that's 100%

It seems that waxing it a few times before winter did the job to the paint- it comes clean when it rains and not show many spots.

But the best season is the warm seasons when it can be waxed and detailed every week.

Using Meguire's detail spray between washes works. You may choose other brands, but elbow grease is the way to brilliance in black.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Aside from using a good wax, applying sealant will give paint protection for several months. Following the two bucket wash method can also protect the paint from getting swirl marks.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have had good luck and used for years Zaino. Follow their guidelines.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

All good advice here, but let me add my 2 cents. Black cars as we all know, take more care to keep them looking good. I'm a bit of a fanatic about my cars, so you have to decide how much time and effort you want to put into maintaining that look.
But here goes.
Go to a good detailing website for the best array of products and most helpful advice along with videos showing procedure. DETAILER'S DOMAIN comes to mind.
After much trial and error, I've decided on taking the time upfront and getting products that will 1. long term save me time, 2. offer the greatest protection from the elements and 3. make the car ( no matter the color) look great.

1. Hand wash the car - using quality materials sponges and towels. Not using quality sponges and towels can result in micro scratches.

2. Clay your car. This step is absolutely essential in removing the fine dust, pollen and other deep down debris that is on every car - even those in the showroom.

3. Apply a swirl remover.

4. ***Apply at the least a sealant, not a wax. A good sealant will provide several months, not weeks of true protection.

5. Apply a quality wax over the sealant (optional) to bring out the shine and perhaps add a bit longer protection.

6. Avoid car washes if possible.

7. Use a detailing spray when the car gets a little dusty.

*** I have opted to use a way more protective "sealant" - more like a micro coating instead of a true sealant. Minee is called CQuartz, another brand is called Opti Coat. These can also be professionally applied but at a steep price.These are said to last at least a year or two. Mine is on for 6 months and the shine is incredible and dirt and dust come off way, way easier than before. More work initially, but less work, better, deeper shine and more protection.

B
Old 02-27-2016, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a bit of confusion and still don't know the correct answer if there is one but I had heard as well to apply a wax over the sealant, but when I emailed Zaino they are 100% it stating it defeats the purpose of their product. And again I have used so many different products and have found Zaino to be the best (maybe bang for buck) product.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by suntint
Have a Brilliant Black S4 coming in. My first black car. Very limited S4 availability (with the MT) and I'd have chosen a different color if there were more choices only since it's going to be a daily driver and won't be garaged and I will not have the time to wash 2X a week or frequently wax.

Best advice to reasonably care for? I have seen black cars with terrible scratch marks from being abused during washing - really want to avoid anything like that.

Thanks,
This might be a dumb question, but what does everyone use to clean the dash? The black shows the dust quite a bit.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

For the dash-einzette(z1) cockpit cleaner- the best.
As far as the BB S4 paint goes. These look absolutely stunning when clean-at least for the first 15 minutes! I spend 6 to 8 hours a week keeping my BB A5 spotless. It's a bitch. Every speck of dust and water spot shows. Will never get another black car again.

Sorry, No way around it. you'll have to spend some time each week with it to keep it looking sharp.

Once a month--Wash, clay, wax/polish, seal,wax. This will allow you to rinse it off and dry a few times before you have to do it all over agin.

Then QD in between all that.

Good luck.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

^ Of course your OCD may be less severe than mine...
Old 05-26-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtEiger
^ Of course your OCD may be less severe than mine...
I guess that remains to be seen

Thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: Care For A Black Car